Phantom Thread - SPOILERS!

Started by matt35mm, November 24, 2017, 07:59:23 PM

WorldForgot

Inside, the exact opposite experience of the New Bev.
Esp its lobby/concessions lol

Alethia

For reference. Also I had a big crush on the straight-haired, red-lipped, box office girl.

putneyswipe

Was in NYC last Dec and went there multiple times! Very nice theatre though seats are very uncomfortable, programming is way better than the new bev or any other la rep cinema.

WorldForgot

Quote from: putneyswipe on November 19, 2020, 02:23:06 PM
Was in NYC last Dec and went there multiple times! Very nice theatre though seats are very uncomfortable, programming is way better than the new bev or any other la rep cinema.

:doh:

Most apt programming to Bev might be Anthology, though not even.
Metrograph vs American Cinematheque programming? Near identical.

Not to mention how much more money moves through the Metrograph compared to the Bev
(restaurant upstairs, multiple screens, concessionz, etc)

Alethia

Quote from: WorldForgot on November 19, 2020, 02:48:22 PM
Quote from: putneyswipe on November 19, 2020, 02:23:06 PM
Most apt programming to Bev might be Anthology, though not even.

Based on what I've heard re New Bev, the NYC equivalent seems like The Quad (perhaps?)

WorldForgot

Yeah, some combination of those two. Without the swank factor of either. Pure crowd hype.
(this conversation's made me realize how essential "bar" was to nyc joints ? )

wilberfan

kingfan011

Anybody happen to catch that discussion between Krieps and the author of the PTA book. I assumed it already happened.

wilberfan

It was last Friday, yeah.  I (tried to) tune-in at the appointed time (5pm local time) but their server balked at my requests to join for a full 25 minutes.  I *almost* said, "Fuck it!" after missing the intro and the first 20 minutes of the film--but it's such an awesome film I got sucked into it.

The interview with Vicky was good.  Not a lot of new info, but it was interesting to hear her discuss her work in the film.   Worth the $5 to join for the month.

Drenk

I'd like to ask her about seeing her character change in the edit; there's a big difference between poisoning somebody to take care of him and just taking care of him, and I start to doubt the veracity of the editor's claims, but I had thought that if the tea was poisoned, well, Cyril would have been sick, too...
Ascension.

Tdog

Quote from: Drenk on November 24, 2020, 08:39:04 PM
I'd like to ask her about seeing her character change in the edit; there's a big difference between poisoning somebody to take care of him and just taking care of him, and I start to doubt the veracity of the editor's claims, but I had thought that if the tea was poisoned, well, Cyril would have been sick, too...

Reynolds doesn't share!

putneyswipe

Quote from: WorldForgot on November 19, 2020, 07:34:49 PM
Yeah, some combination of those two. Without the swank factor of either. Pure crowd hype.
(this conversation's made me realize how essential "bar" was to nyc joints ? )

I saw Watkins Edvard Munch on 35 there last dec, what I mean is I don't know an LA theatre that would program stuff like that. I really appreciate the New Bev, but I'm not as into the 60s/70s b-movie esoterica as QT is... never been impressed with The Egyptian's programming, the Aero seems like the best one in LA but I live too far away to ever go.

putneyswipe

This reminds me, the Egyptian actually had a Visconti retro a few years ago, but I missed all of it due to schedule conflicts  :yabbse-sad:

Alma

I haven't seen this one before.

wilberfan

Ditto.  Would love to know who took the shot.