Curb Your Enthusiasm

Started by Banky, October 06, 2003, 04:47:13 PM

grand theft sparrow

Everything with the doctor made me laugh harder than anything else this season.  It felt like classic Seinfeld.  Angry Bald Jeff is one of the best things ever put on television.  The big disappointment for me was that the racist guy didn't factor anywhere else in the episode.  But it seems like it was a response to the Michael Richards thing. 

I was saying that this should be the last season but if there are only 2 episodes left, he has to do at least a mini-season to wrap EVERYTHING up; I can't see it being done in another 60-90 minutes.

Stefen

This season just keeps getting better and better. I went from "My goodness, kick this show off the air, it's a disgrace to all that is decent" to where I'm at now where it redeemed itself and is back on the mile high pedestal it belonged.

I agree that I hope they have a wrap up type thing after the 10th episode if this is indeed the last season. Tie up all the lose ends.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

idk

I found it hard to sympathize with Larry in this one, he just went so low

elpablo

Me : This Show :: Larry : Cheryl

Reinhold

Quote from: pete on September 17, 2007, 05:01:05 AM
did anyone notice that the man in the yankees jersey was the doc from knocked up?

yep.

he also did an asian comedian thing a couple years ago called the Kims of Comedy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pnwUJ-wG9NQ
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: idk on November 04, 2007, 09:55:20 PM
I found it hard to sympathize with Larry in this one, he just went so low

He's just as sympathetic as he always was.  He tries to do something good, is wronged as a result, and he schemes in order to right that wrong.  The end always justifies the means to him because he's trying to do something right and gets unfairly blocked.  This is just another one of those things.  He'd be completely unsympathetic if he didn't obviously love Cheryl.  Of course, what happened at the end is his own fault, but to see him doing this in the name of love is so unlike him that you still have to root for him. 

What I found odd was that Steve Coogan, whom many Americans probably know only as the guy who helped drive Owen Wilson to a suicide attempt, is playing the world's worst therapist.

hedwig

Quote from: IN SPAR_ROWS on November 05, 2007, 09:06:25 AM
Of course, what happened at the end is his own fault, but to see him doing this in the name of love is so unlike him that you still have to root for him. 

yeah i think it's easier to sympathize with him now. like his anger at coogan, that was some of his most justifiable rage. even if it's obviously his own fault for taking the shitty advice. it also raises the stakes so much when his schemes fail. he's not just trying to get back at somebody for violating a rule of society or something, he's trying to get his wife back! i thought it was a great episode. i loved the whole argument about taking credit for the new larry.

idk

I see what you guys are saying but still the whole idea is that he is supposed to be trying to prove to Cheryl that he isn't the same selfish person he was before, but instead he is acting as selfish as ever.  The whole incident where he just lets his therapist be arrested showed such a dark side of Larry.  I know he always acts in a less than righteous way but its usually warrented(for the most part) by what has been done to him. I want to root for Larry to get back with Cheryl but the way he acted in this episode validated Cheryl's decision to leave him.  Hopefully he will redeem himself.

Ravi

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11052007/tv/neurotic_no_more_923379.htm

LARRY DAVID MULLS 2 MORE SEASONS
By DON KAPLAN

November 5, 2007 -- LARRY David - who never wanted to say from year to year whether he was going to keep doing his eccentric HBO comedy - is suddenly talking about doing "Curb Your Enthusiasm" for two, maybe three, more years.

David has typically agreed only to one-year deals - usually, a few months after telling the cast and crew that each season will be his last.

"It's become sort of a running joke," an industry source says.

No one has a clear answer why David has had an apparent change of heart.

But in recent weeks, David is telling friends he wants to keep doing "Curb" for several more seasons.

David made tens of millions as the co-creator of "Seinfeld," but the show's star Jerry Seinfeld is the one who achieved the most fame.

"'Seinfeld' got him the money, but 'Curb' has gotten him recognition," says an insider.

David announced last summer that he and his wife of 14 years, environmental activist Laurie David, were divorcing.

Since then, David has been making more public appearances and joked about starting to date again.

HBO declined to comment over the weekend but a network spokesman added: "Larry has a home at HBO as long as he likes."

"Curb" is a semi-fictional comedy on which curmudgeonly David plays a character based on himself. On both the show and in real life, David can be prickly and difficult to deal with and was the inspiration for "Seinfeld's" George Costanza character.

The success of "Curb," now in its sixth season, has kick-started a new type of reality-like TV comedies, in which star play themselves - more or less.

Others have in included, "Fat Actress" (Kirstie Ally) and "The Two Coreys" (Corey Haim and Cory Feldman).

But the technique is exceedingly hard to make work and "Curb" is the only one that has lasted.

pete

I still like the show, but it's less brilliant than before now.  I dunno, something's happened this year - the developing story is not as interesting, the scenerios seem more contrived/ convenient, and the whole thing is just less convincing.  too much a leads to b leads to c these days.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Quote from: pete on November 06, 2007, 02:02:31 AM
I still like the show, but it's less brilliant than before now.  I dunno, something's happened this year - the developing story is not as interesting, the scenerios seem more contrived/ convenient, and the whole thing is just less convincing.  too much a leads to b leads to c these days.

Exactly my thoughts. Each season seemed to get bigger and the season plot problem larger. This season has just been downhill for me. It's had it's moments, but I've kept waiting for it to pick up but now after the 9th episode, I just don't see it being able to win me over in 1 last episode.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

now everyone should watch Peep Show instead.  :yabbse-grin:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pedro

You guys can't possibly think this is worse than season 5!

Stefen

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca on November 06, 2007, 12:39:35 PM
You guys can't possibly think this is worse than season 5!

I liked Season 5 more. The Lewis kidney storyline, the big vagina, Larry turning into a big time Jew, the car crash, and then the car crash again, Larry thinking he was gentile. I mean, Season 6 has had NONE of those kinds of memorable moments.

elpablo

I don't even remember what happened in season 5. I remember not liking it too much and hoping it was the last season. But I know that I also liked it more than I like this season.