Is collecting movies a worthless art? (hoarders need not apply)

Started by Stefen, November 12, 2010, 05:41:55 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

My goal is to only buy rare movies or movies I know I'll watch repeatedly, everything else falls into Netflix territory.  At $10 a month, it is far cheaper than cable and serves the same purpose.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

What sucks with dvd collections is that you end up losing your favorites. You lend our favorite movies to friends who haven't seen them and what they do is not watch it and never ever bring it back

SiliasRuby

Thats why I never lent out movies... No matter what. Been burned too many times.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

Quote from: Stefen on December 01, 2010, 01:23:15 PM
Half my collection is from burning people.

maybe you're the modern day bob dylan, that's how he made his record collection when he was poor.
the one last hit that spent you...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SiliasRuby on December 01, 2010, 05:47:11 AM
Thats why I never lent out movies... No matter what. Been burned too many times.

Don't you just end up buying the special edition that comes out soon after losing it?  I'm not sure how you've been burned yet.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

I recently traded in a bunch of DVDs for store credit. I'm replacing some of them with Blu-Rays eventually, but others I hadn't watched in years and I decided to get rid of them.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

$135 store credit. It won't cover all the Blu-Rays I want to get to replace certain DVDs, but its a good start. I plan on further clearing out titles that I haven't watched yet. My DVD collection right now is like a depressing monument to where I spend a lot of my money.

Pas

Ravi

There's a chain in the Dallas area called Movie Trading Company.

Robyn

Quote from: Ravi on April 17, 2011, 05:38:47 PM
I recently traded in a bunch of DVDs for store credit. I'm replacing some of them with Blu-Rays eventually, but others I hadn't watched in years and I decided to get rid of them.

I do this all the time. When my dad gave me his huge DVD collection of action movies starring Sylvester Stallone, etc I was like "Halleluljah! I will trade this shit for some weird pretentious stuff!" and went crazy in the store. I don't even buy movies anymore.

Stefen

I was going to put all my Criterion DVD's on Ebay but found out I could only get $3-$4 for each one. It's not even worth it. Collectors items my ass.

tpfkabi

Quote from: S.R. on October 06, 2011, 05:17:37 PM
I was going to put all my Criterion DVD's on Ebay but found out I could only get $3-$4 for each one. It's not even worth it. Collectors items my ass.
$3-$4? I have never seen even used Criterion at that price. If you have any OOP there are a lot of people (I think?) who would pay a nice sum.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

squints

i sold a good amount of mine on amazon for reasonable prices.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche