How about a 2020 Xixax Dekapenticon? - THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by ono, December 01, 2020, 02:36:17 PM

wilberfan

Quote from: WorldForgot on December 16, 2020, 08:36:04 AM
My list was more of a personal Top 40 than a "cinema forum"s top 40...
Ditto. Never having played before I'm not even sure what the latter is, so my list is essentially the 40 films I've rewatched the most number of times--which I'm assuming is a primary metric for "favorite"?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ono on December 16, 2020, 09:52:39 AMJB - do you remember about how many entries you got way back when?  Surely enough that merited like 3 or 4 ppl needing to count them.  But I find it a little sad that Xixax has so few regulars.  Though I haven't posted much in the last year, I've been a lurker, and have never really been away for too long.  Many regulars have disappeared, but I always thought we had more of an influx of more new blood than it has appeared.

There was... a lot. 2001: A Space Odyssey got 30 votes.

Quote from: modage on December 16, 2005, 05:14:40 PMokay thats 35 films with 10+ votes.  6 films with 9 votes.  and 16 films with 8 votes.  which = 57 Films TOTAL.

To state the obvious, all message boards took a hit with the rise of social media. I think the only ones that are big anymore are connected to other websites.

jenkins

whateverman

wish I had the time to compile something, but school decided to give me all of the shit to do over the holidays...
My list  would probably look something like this tho:  40% keitel, 20% musicals, 20% scifi and 20% period drama. So not very xixax friendly perhaps

WorldForgot

Alethia

jenkins

i fully support the Southland Tales endeavor not solely because but enormously related to we continue to be variations of the same person and we are both pisces after all and you did offer to provide the cannes cut but you see that's over two and a half hours long and based on my viewing tendencies it'd take me three weeks to finish it, i gotta theater it eventually

WorldForgot

Quote from: jenkins on December 16, 2020, 03:02:46 PM
i fully support the Southland Tales endeavor not solely because but enormously related to we continue to be variations of the same person and we are both pisces after all and you did offer to provide the cannes cut but you see that's over two and a half hours long and based on my viewing tendencies it'd take me three weeks to finish it, i gotta theater it eventually

Lol! Itz always fun though to hear your developing thoughts in the shoutbox on 1 film over the course of a week or two. Glad you're posting again, amigo, and hope you're doin' aight. As you say: it'll be ok.

Submissions may be closed but ANYONE WHO WANTZ SOUTHLAND TALES CANNES CUT the offer alwayz there ~

ono

The nominations are in!  Please see the first page.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far, and enjoy phase 2!

Jeremy Blackman

Dang that's a good list.

Especially happy with FWWM, Dancer, Dogville, EWS. And Palindromes! Can't believe that got through.

Alethia

Good list, yet all but 3 are directed by white men. (I am not impervious to blame here tbc)

ono

Hey, I nominated Lost in Translation, Yes, Morvern Callar... yeah, I'm out.  I don't think that's so much problematic of us as it is the industry as a whole.

pynchonikon

I guess it's about time to watch Buffalo '66, Palindromes, Southland Tales and the Terrorizers (which I should have already seen since I'm a big Yang fan). Nice list.

jenkins

the list is reflective of you guys, not world cinema. certainly not art cinema. i'm not blasting that, it's shockingly exactly what i expected, but it's definitely healthy to acknowledge that. just be like "yes this is who i am and what i like" rather than making it sound like everyone else is the problem

Alma

How many people voted in the end? It's kind of funny that even though it's a "favourites" list not a "best" list, a lot of the picks are fairly expected. I would imagine the final 20 will not be that different from most "best films" lists made by magazines etc., with maybe a handful of exceptions. Only two of my choices made it, although I'm happy they did as they're definitely near the top of my list (Morvern Callar and Fire Walk With Me). Congrats to Lynne Ramsay for being the only woman who made it, lmao. Kubrick, Anderson (obv), Lynch, Coppola, Von Trier and Tarantino have more films each on the list than women do in total. Looking forward to checking out the ones I've not seen.