77th Annual Academy Awards - Winners Listed on Page 10

Started by MacGuffin, October 14, 2004, 02:00:15 PM

Fjodor

I made my predictions for my aunt, who was in an oscar competition at her work, turned it out that I've won the whole thing :shock: From the $150 she gave $100, and no, you can't hear me complain about that 8)

(I had 18 of the 24 catogories good)

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: rustinglassI didn't see the show.. what was the tim robbins joke?
Chris Rock said something about Tim Robbins boring people with his politics.

Fernando

Is there available a transcript or video of Rock's opening speech somewhere?

I missed it.

SoNowThen

My 2 cents. Why? Nobody really cares, but it makes me feel kinda fuzzy typing it....

Hahahahaha, Million Dollar.... hahahahaha, go on the list with Ordinary People and Dances With Wolves... oh the Academy is actually soooooo predictable that I've come to appreciate it. Cos about halfway through January I started thinking about how awesome Aviator was and getting really scared that Marty would have to win this shit thing, but I finally came to my senses when I heard about this Eastwood movie gaining steam. Oh joy joy joy, now MS can stay untainted. It's so beautiful. And yes I am being slightly closeminded, but I wouldn't see Million Dollar Shit for any amount in the world --- FEMALE BOXER!!!! HAhahahahahaha... ahah, really... *whew*.... seriously. Thank you, Oscars. Thank you for being so fucking bad.

Did anybody get a chance to read the Scorsese interview from a day before? It was here in the Times. He basically said that it would be a crock to give him the best director at this point, after fucking him over so many times, it would seem like a slap in the face. His quote was something like "Taxi Driver: best picture nom, best actor nom, best supporting actress nom, best score nom.... I guess the writer and director had nothing to do with that". Fucking class! And he went on to say something like the best thing about the Oscars now is to go and see all the hot actresses in skimpy dresses. The man becomes more of a hero to me every day. Slag it off as bitterness if you like, bitterness is fantastic. You be bitter about what you want to be bitter about -- to liberally paraphrase ol' Earl Partridge.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThenHahahahaha, Million Dollar.... hahahahaha, go on the list with Ordinary People and Dances With Wolves...
Umm, no (for Ordinary People, don't really care for Dances).  MDB is in a league all by itself, though.

Quote from: SoNowThenAnd yes I am being slightly closeminded
Umm, yes.

Quote from: SoNowThenbut I wouldn't see Million Dollar Shit for any amount in the world --- FEMALE BOXER!!!! HAhahahahahaha... ahah, really... *whew*.... seriously. Thank you, Oscars. Thank you for being so fucking bad.
Umm, no.  You're being an idiot, just like when you were badmouthing Almodovar.  Go see the movie already.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThenMy 2 cents. Why? Nobody really cares, but it makes me feel kinda fuzzy typing it....

Hahahahaha, Million Dollar.... hahahahaha, go on the list with Ordinary People and Dances With Wolves... oh the Academy is actually soooooo predictable that I've come to appreciate it. Cos about halfway through January I started thinking about how awesome Aviator was and getting really scared that Marty would have to win this shit thing, but I finally came to my senses when I heard about this Eastwood movie gaining steam. Oh joy joy joy, now MS can stay untainted. It's so beautiful. And yes I am being slightly closeminded, but I wouldn't see Million Dollar Shit for any amount in the world --- FEMALE BOXER!!!! HAhahahahahaha... ahah, really... *whew*.... seriously. Thank you, Oscars. Thank you for being so fucking bad.

Did anybody get a chance to read the Scorsese interview from a day before? It was here in the Times. He basically said that it would be a crock to give him the best director at this point, after fucking him over so many times, it would seem like a slap in the face. His quote was something like "Taxi Driver: best picture nom, best actor nom, best supporting actress nom, best score nom.... I guess the writer and director had nothing to do with that". Fucking class! And he went on to say something like the best thing about the Oscars now is to go and see all the hot actresses in skimpy dresses. The man becomes more of a hero to me every day. Slag it off as bitterness if you like, bitterness is fantastic. You be bitter about what you want to be bitter about -- to liberally paraphrase ol' Earl Partridge.

You're trying to essentially say the Oscars don't matter, but your post is such a speel and tirade that you're coming off as caring more about it than anyone here.

I don't mind Scorsese not winning. I still judge directing talent for a given year based off that year, not a career. Scorsese handled the story well, but the signature touch he brought to the film was that he borrowed from so many of his past films. For Scorsese, the title of "director-for-hire" seems too comfortable for his talent.

Finally, I'll argue the value of Dances With Wolves anyday. People need to stop just labeling that film a throw away. Also, see Million Dollar Baby. I think your dismissal will stand, but your stance right now just comes off as misogynistic. Its opposite of JB's own hesitance to the film.

MacGuffin

Quote from: rustinglassI didn't see the show.. what was the tim robbins joke?

"When our next presenter is not dazzling us with his acting ability, he's boring us to death with his politics. Please welcome Academy Award Winner Tim Robbins."

Quote from: FernandoIs there available a transcript or video of Rock's opening speech somewhere?

I missed it.

As close as I can find without transcribing the entire monologue myself:

Edgy Chris Rock Brings New Tone to Oscars

"Sit your asses down!"

With those four words, comedian Chris Rock brought a new tone to the Oscars that network executives and sponsors of the Academy Awards hope will lure back a bigger, younger TV audience to Hollywood's biggest night.

Giving the Oscar producers what they paid for, the first-time host introduced an edgy, provocative mood to the show, with a monologue that was politically charged and racially aware while seeming, at times, to veer close to profane.

Rock, who drew controversy weeks before taking the Oscar stage by suggesting that he and most other African Americans had little reason to watch the awards, opened Sunday's show by acknowledging the record number of black performers vying for acting honors this year.

"We have, like, four black nominees. It's kinda like the Def Oscar Jam tonight," he enthused, in a reference to the HBO comedy series "Def Comedy Jam," a springboard for many black performers.

While flirting with network censors in his choice of words as he urged the star-studded studio audience to take their seats, the opening minutes of the broadcast bore no signs that ABC was forced to bleep put any of his remarks.

The sharp-tongued comic drew some of his biggest laughs with jabs aimed at President Bush, the involuntary star of Michael Moore's scathing documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Rock noted that Moore's film, though shut out of the Oscar competition, was breaking box office records at the time Bush was running for re-election.

"Can you imagine applying for a job, and while you're applying for that job there's a movie in every theater in the country that shows how much you suck in that job?" Rock said. "It would be hard to get hired, wouldn't it?"

Citing "another movie nobody wanted to make this year," Rock turned to Mel Gibson 's blood-soaked homage to the final hours in the life of Jesus, "The Passion of the Christ."

"I saw 'Passion of the Christ. Not that funny, really," he joked. "Nobody wanted to make 'Passion of the Christ,' man. Come on. They made six 'Police Academies' and can't make one 'Passion of the Christ."'

Turning again to race for laughs, Rock complained that Hollywood makes movies "for white people to enjoy -- real movies, with plots, with actors, not rappers, with real names, like, 'Catch Me If You Can,' like 'Saving Private Ryan.'

"Black movies don't have real names," Rock continued. "They get names like 'Barbershop.' That's not a name. That's just a location. 'Barbershop,' 'Cookout,' 'Carwash,' ... you know 'Laundromat's' coming soon, and after that, 'Check-Cashing Place."'

Rock closed his monologue by sending "love out to our troops fighting all over the world."

Quote from: SoNowThenAnd yes I am being slightly closeminded, but I wouldn't see Million Dollar Shit for any amount in the world --- FEMALE BOXER!!!! HAhahahahahaha... ahah, really... *whew*.... seriously.

Quote from: GhostboyThe trailers do a wonderful job at not giving away what the movie is actually about.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Quote from: FjodorI made my predictions for my aunt, who was in an oscar competition at her work, turned it out that I've won the whole thing :shock: From the $150 she gave $100, and no, you can't hear me complain about that 8)

(I had 18 of the 24 catogories good)
I lost my pool.  I had 17/24, but some mofo had 19/24.

Also, since I thought Million Dollar Baby was better than The Aviator, I'm glad that Clint won.  It's supposed to award the best director/movie of the year, not award their overall careers.  At this point, a career achievement Oscar would be the best thing for Scorsese.  Now, Scorsese WAS screwed several times over in the past, when he should have won, but last night was all right by me.  I would've been upset if voters gave into the pressure of "but it's about time that he got one."  Not for this movie.  It was very good, but... it just wasn't the best of the year.  Neither was Million Dollar Baby, for that matter, but it was the best of the nominated pictures (but nearly tied with Sideways).

But "it's about time that he got one" is a lame excuse to get an award and results in things like Russell Crowe winning Best Actor for Gladiator.

When A Beautiful Mind won, there's a valid point that, well, that wasn't the best of 'em (it was just the safest, most Oscar-friendly).  Sure, I would support Lynch over Howard ANY DAY, but I would only support Scorsese over Eastwood when Scorsese makes a better film than Eastwood in the same year.

Overall, Scorsese is definitely the stronger filmmaker.  Just.  Not.  This.  Year.

Recce

I'm jsut gonna repeat the same argument that people have already made, but, personally, it doesn't matter which one was the better film (and personally, I preferred Aviator), its about which director did the best job(that sounded better in my head, but I think you all know what I'm trying to say). Now, you take two films that are interesting, well shot, well edited, well acted, engaging, but one has like 500% more people and locations and props and visual effects and dialogue then the other, who is the best director? I mean, Eastwood had himself and hilary swank in most of the scenes and no one else, I would estimate that at least 50% of the film took place in the gym. He took the easier route. Eastwood could not have done Aviator, but scorcese could have directed the crap out of MDB and it would have been way better and stylized. So, scorcese is the best director and he deserved the oscar.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Quote from: ono mo cuishle
Quote from: SoNowThenHahahahaha, Million Dollar.... hahahahaha, go on the list with Ordinary People and Dances With Wolves...
Umm, no (for Ordinary People, don't really care for Dances).  MDB is in a league all by itself, though.

Quote from: SoNowThenAnd yes I am being slightly closeminded
Umm, yes.

Quote from: SoNowThenbut I wouldn't see Million Dollar Shit for any amount in the world --- FEMALE BOXER!!!! HAhahahahahaha... ahah, really... *whew*.... seriously. Thank you, Oscars. Thank you for being so fucking bad.
Umm, no.  You're being an idiot, just like when you were badmouthing Almodovar.  Go see the movie already.

there needs to be a law that prohibits the use of the word 'Um'.  just sayin'  :yabbse-undecided:
context, context, context.

ono

Umm, no.

And those of you who didn't see the heavy stylization in Million Dollar Baby simply weren't watching the same movie, or weren't paying very much attention.  Stylization is more than quick cuts and funny angles.  It's atmosphere, which MDB has in spades.  No comments about Scorsese, other than that the whining is old.  Still haven't seen Aviator myself, been too busy.  But Scorsese will be back in 2007 for The Departed.  He'll probably lose again, but he'll be back.

Quote from: ono mo cuishleUmm, no.

same goes for knee-jerk reactions.
context, context, context.

Recce

Quote from: ono mo cuishleUmm, no.

And those of you who didn't see the heavy stylization in Million Dollar Baby simply weren't watching the same movie, or weren't paying very much attention.  Stylization is more than quick cuts and funny angles.  It's atmosphere, which MDB has in spades.  No comments about Scorsese, other than that the whining is old.  Still haven't seen Aviator myself, been too busy.  But Scorsese will be back in 2007 for The Departed.  He'll probably lose again, but he'll be back.

I'm sorry, but a slow paced clint eastwood film that felt to me like it was meant to appeal to senior citizens more than anyone else compared to scorcese's the aviator, rich, colorful and original. Gee. And I generally like slow paced films, if its called for. But eastwood had the same style in mystic river, which I wasn't a huge fan of either. Does that mean he's a good director? Was that style called for for the story he was trying to tell, or is it all he can do? Scorcese has much more range, in my opinion.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

i read in the paper that Marty's 0 for 5 puts him in a club with two other directors:

Alfred Hitchcock & Robert Altman

not bad, eh?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.