77th Annual Academy Awards - Winners Listed on Page 10

Started by MacGuffin, October 14, 2004, 02:00:15 PM

Alethia

what the hell were those loud sounds that kept banging off in the distance?

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardwhat the hell were those loud sounds that kept banging off in the distance?

The stage hands breaking down or putting up the props and sets.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

Jeremy Blackman

When does everyone vote for the final awards, anyway? It seems like this Million Dollar Baby thing was just a result of perfect timing.

I haven't been this cynical about the Oscars since Gladiator's year. Wasn't last year a little better?

And yes, Kaufman's win is mysteriously depressing.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhen does everyone vote for the final awards, anyway?

February 2, 2005: Final ballots mailed.

February 22, 2005: Final polls close 5 p.m. PST.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

what exactly is laced in the weed y'all are smoking? this year is the first year i've watched this bitch of an award show and thought "wow, it's over already." i thought it was very well done, save a couple musical performances and penelope cruz and her "sounds good" line.

charlie kaufman winning is a good thing.

ono

Here's the thing about Eternal Sunshine.  Kaufman is a great writer.  We all know that.  However, both Being John Malkovich and Adaptation. suffered greatly in the third act.  Still, people embraced them, especially outside the mainstream.  Now, when he's finally gotten things so right, it seems like the day would never come when his particular genius was recognized.  But it did, and so where does he have to go from here?  He can always write something else.  He can work on perfecting his characters even more (some would argue Clementine was underwritten -- I'm not one of them).  But either way you look at it, it's almost as if certain people relish their directors or writers not getting recognized for their talents by the Academy.  Kind of silly, but whatever floats your boat.

There was nothing fishy about this year.  In pretty much all the categories, the best thing won.  Jamie Foxx for Ray was expected, though a bit off.  No need to get cynical or skeptical because your favorite film or actor didn't win.

modage

Quote from: ©bradcharlie kaufman winning is a good thing.
is it?  i mean, like i said, i want him to win because i think he deserves it.  but doesnt "from academy award winning writer Charlie Kaufman" sound a little weird to you?  like, he is someone who couldnt even get one of his scripts produced until 5 years ago and then became somewhat of a cult figure but when the cult is accepted by the mainstream it puts that person in a very odd position.  he's no longer anybodys secret or the underdog or the outsider, he is accepted and awarded and thats just bizarre to me.  its good when it happens, and hopefully the academy will become more and more in line with whats actually happening in movies but seems just......  :saywhat:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

RegularKarate

(borrowing Guff's work)

Best Motion Picture of the Year
Winner: Million Dollar Baby

Predictable... I was pretty sure this was going to win since the most deserving film was nominated in the popular "yes, we see you" spot that almost never wins and that Marty is cursed.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Winner: Jamie Foxx for Ray

Boo... a really shitty movie with a performance that's just mimicry.  He should be mad at the studio for being racist enough to tag him with "supporting" for Collateral and not accepted the oscar (that didn't really belong to him all that much)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Winner: Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby

psch... the most obvious of them all.  

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Winner: Morgan Freeman for Million Dollar Baby

While it's not his best performance, it's about damn time he got an Oscar.

Best Achievement in Directing
Winner: Clint Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby

I can deal with this, but Marty really should have gotten it... Clint's already got one for a film that's four times as good as this.

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Winner: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry, Pierre Bismuth

This is a good thing.  People here are just upset because thier beloved Kaufman is mainstream enough to win an Oscar.  Get over it, he deserves one.

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Winner: Sideways - Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor

That was a relief

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Winner: The Incredibles - Brad Bird

I knew it would win, but I was still a little nervous.  Brad Bird can have my first born if he wants it.

Overall, it was a decent show.  Much better than the last couple of years.

The Beyonce thing wasn't an attempt to "hip up" the Oscars.  This sort of thing happens... one year they had Celine Dion sing all the songs.

©brad

Quote from: themodernage02
is it?  i mean, like i said, i want him to win because i think he deserves it.  but doesnt "from academy award winning writer Charlie Kaufman" sound a little weird to you?  like, he is someone who couldnt even get one of his scripts produced until 5 years ago and then became somewhat of a cult figure but when the cult is accepted by the mainstream it puts that person in a very odd position.  he's no longer anybodys secret or the underdog or the outsider, he is accepted and awarded and thats just bizarre to me.  its good when it happens, and hopefully the academy will become more and more in line with whats actually happening in movies but seems just......  :saywhat:

no no no.

this is what pisses me off- film geeks/buffs/nerds/whatever the nomenclature, bitch about everything. we all love eternal sunshine and kaufman. we voted for it/him in our own prestigous xixax awards. if he'd lost the oscar we'd bitch. he won tonight and we still bitch. wtf does it take to make u ppl happy.?!?.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02
is it?

The only reason I can think of it being bad is that now everyone's going to talk shit about him because he's not cool to like anymore now that he's "legit".

But "Academy Award winning writer Charlie Kaufman" sounds just fine.

It's "Academy Award winning actor Jamie Foxx" that I can't quite get my head around.  

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ©bradwtf does it take to make u ppl happy.?!?.
Not the Oscars, I guess.

modage

well, i think its just for the most part we assume the academy is so out of touch with whats actually the best, when their votes accidentally collide with ours, its a bit of a shock.  btw, the xixax awards had 3 in common with the oscars this year, (cate blanchett, hilary swank and charlie kaufman).  i'm glad kaufman won, because i thought he deserved it, i'm just saying...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.