Why do you think you will make it in Hollywood?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, September 17, 2003, 11:00:35 AM

Ghostboy

SoNowThen

I've weened myself down to 6 hours a night. It's the least I can get and still be rested enough to concentrate on movies.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Weak2ndAct

SoNowThen: Well, it sounds like you're on the right track so far in terms of getting things done.  First off, I would say get that '1st draft' script super-polished and finished, b/c agents will want to see more than one piece of material to make sure you're not a one-hit-wonder and to see your range and/or talent.  I don't think pitches and treatments will do the job-- they do more so once your already in 'the door.'  Speaking of 'the door,' a great script will kick down all of them, despite whether or not you've been produced.  As for sticking to your guns and directing your scripts, be prepared to wait it out.  It takes forever and a day.  There are always exceptions to the rule, of course.

The best piece of advice I've ever gotten: when you're starting out, you shouldn't necessarily take the stance that you've got to direct everything you've written or else.  Compromise sucks, but if you can't write yourself something better down the road, you'll have bigger problems than whether or not you should direct that first script (the struggles of young Tarantino are a good example-- he sold/optioned his first few scripts, decided that Reservoir Dogs was going to be 'the one').

Thecowgoooesmooo

Ok to clarify to everyone, about my statements...

When I said,  "Why do you think you will make it in Hollywood?"

I wasen't very specific, but Ill make it alittle clearer so there is no confusion for the next posters..

I was probly alittle too general... This isn't really a Hollywood, indie type of thing. What I mean by "making it" is writing or directing your own movie. And actually having this movie in circulation to a large viewing public. (aka in theaters across the world!)

chris

MrBurgerKing

Cecil

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooOk to clarify to everyone, about my statements...

When I said,  "Why do you think you will make it in Hollywood?"

I wasen't very specific, but Ill make it alittle clearer so there is no confusion for the next posters..

I was probly alittle too general... This isn't really a Hollywood, indie type of thing. What I mean by "making it" is writing or directing your own movie. And actually having this movie in circulation to a large viewing public. (aka in theaters across the world!)

If I get what you're asking here, then every answer to your question will inevitably end up being  "Because I'm a genius." or "I'm awesome."  Everyone thinks this, but the how/why/where/when/who's are the interesting Q's.

aclockworkjj

On a serious note...and 2nd act, I appreciate your honesty...but all of you that said you wouldn't sell your soul...that you need "Final Cut" (sorry SoNowThen, that was just the first example that came to mind, but there are more)  are straight full of shit.  Most of this board is so hungry for film that you can not honestly tell me that if Joel Silver offered you a cool 2 million (which is a huge salary for a director, if I am not mistaken) to direct some degenerate piece of crap like Bad Boys 5, you all wouldn't ask him if he had the KY jelly or if you should pick sum up on yer own.  Seriously...the biz is about money....and thou it may seem fun to make the movie you always wanted to....it probably won't pay the bills.  Honestly, I don't mean to discourage anyone, but really...if I was offered sumthing insane like that to do a shit ass summer blockbuster....I would bend over backwards  and say, "least kiss me first sir."  Then take that fat paycheck and make "my" movie.    

...and for sum reason throughout this whole blabberin' bunch of shit...all I can think about is Ratner, that fucker.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: GhostboyThat's awesome, Weak2ndAct, which leads me to a revision of my original post:

I am very open to whoring myself out as a writer. I take writing very seriously...but it's easier to overlook a screenplay for a crappy movie than direction for a crappy movie. It would be less of an indictment against my integrity...I think.

To make my name famous, I'd whore my writing ability, you kidding me?  Indie directing would be great, but wouldn't it just be fantastic to have a message board dedicated to you, then get shafted so people mostly talk about you but otherwise talk about other good movies?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjHonestly, I don't mean to discourage anyone, but really...if I was offered sumthing insane like that to do a shit ass summer blockbuster....I would bend over backwards  and say, "least kiss me first sir."  Then take that fat paycheck and make "my" movie.

Not directed at you jj, but just responding to what everyone is saying in general about this same matter:

Who says that summer action films have to be shit and you have to go along with the script they gave you? Do a rewrite and make it better than the run of the mill popcorn flick. Put your own spin on things. Remember, if you got to that point to where they want to hire you, you have some pull.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

i agree with the last two posts.  how am i going to make it?  im only seventeen, i dont know.  i just wanna fuckin make movies all my life.

Ravi

Quote from: ewardi just wanna fuckin make movies all my life.

I just wanna fuck and make movies all my life.

Why do I think I can make it?  I dunno.  All I know is that films like Office Space and American Splendor make me not want to give up the dream.  I won't necessarily end up as a file clerk, but I don't want to be stuck in some job I hate just for the paycheck.

OTOH, I'd hate to become the next Adam Shankman just for the paycheck.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinNot directed at you jj, but just responding to what everyone is saying in general about this same matter:
listen here you fucko!!!!! (TM goddamn, or maybe sigur)...j/k

...no, I know what you mean, as I think you at least got the jist of what I was saying....but an explosion (say a car) can be very limited as far as artistic value goes.  Besides Mac...do you really believe the director in these sorts of films have final say?  It would be grand, don't get me wrong, as I am a sucker for cool lookin' action flicks too...but more often than not, I think the director is just a pawn that the "money guys" are milking for actual talent they wish they pocessed.  

The point is...yes, if you have the freedom, most of the time people will see it your way (I know this all too well even in my own little job currently), but gettin' that freedom is not so easily obtainable.

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjbut an explosion (say a car) can be very limited as far as artistic value goes.  Besides Mac...do you really believe the director in these sorts of films have final say?  It would be grand, don't get me wrong, as I am a sucker for cool lookin' action flicks too...but more often than not, I think the director is just a pawn that the "money guys" are milking for actual talent they wish they pocessed.

Yes, but how did the explosion happen? That's how to make it your own.

Look, I'm not saying turn it into a drama, but you can in a way reinvent it, even if it's just fleshing out the characters. I believe if you had a convincing meeting with the studio heads and made you case for what you want to do and gain their trust, it wouldn't have to come down to a battle in the editing room. Then I would think one would be smart enough in that position to not be all self-centered, say 'fuck them' and not know ultimately what kind of genre film he/she is making.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

But I'm the next Kubrick, they'll have to see that right away