White Whales

Started by wilder, April 19, 2020, 06:16:07 PM

wilder

Quote from: Robyn on May 09, 2020, 11:47:11 AM
Quote from: WorldForgot on April 27, 2020, 01:08:43 PM
Yes, would defo appreciate that!

I'm sorry, he never sent it to me :(

Thanks for trying, anyway. Luckily there are a couple Letterboxd lists available already.

WorldForgot

Sheesh! A dense amount of movies here, really cool.

Robyn

Movieparadise.org is good. Found both Romancing in thin air (2012) and Black Moon (1934) over there.

If anyone know a site with new films that aren't widely leaked, let me know. Days and The Woman Who Ran are both out there apparently.

WorldForgot

Rarefilmm is back online splashpage

QuoteI'm so happy to be back here with you guys, sorry it took so long to bring the site back to life, all the re-uploading took a lot longer than I expected, what caused the huge delay was basically that I didn't have a good backup for over 1000 films so I had to re-download all of them from uloz and well as you guys know it takes a long ass time to download every film, you can't download more than 1 at the time either so yeah, waiting till everything was downloaded was worse than watching paint dry (still not everything has been re-uploaded for streaming, keep reading) but most films are back up, including all the HD titles, all the Oscar winner/nominated films, all the ones that won big awards and all the best rated ones, also, since I made you guys wait for so long I added about 300 new titles which are already on the site and you can start watching now, I made sure to make a good selection with a little bit of everything, hope you guys like what I picked.

About what I said about not every film available for streaming yet, I have changed links for over 1000 films already and all those are available to stream but not the whole catalog yet, for those where you'll see the "This video has been blocked..." message just make a comment on that specific movie and I will add the streaming option asap, please allow up to 24 hours for this (usually it will be just few hours or less).

Also, you'll notice that some of the old uploads are not streaming from okru but from a different site, there is probably going to be some slower loading times for those depending on your internet connection but they should work fine, also, I noticed that they play better if you use Opera instead of Chrome for example, don't know for other browsers, if you have any issues related to this please let me know and I'll look into it but like I said, I tested them with several different people on different devices and nobody reported any issues.

RAREFILMM MOST WANTED

RAREFILMM Index

jenkins

there are so many and i don't know the ones i should most want to see ahhh. New Rose Hotel is there funny enough. Movie Crazy and Zoo in Budapest i need to see, question mark

wilberfan

I'll put this here, cuz I'm not sure where else it should go.

Italy's Cineteca di Bologna Publishes Book With Full Screenplay of Charlie Chaplin's Unfinished Film 'The Freak' (EXCLUSIVE)

QuoteWhen Charlie Chaplin passed away on Christmas Day in 1977, aged 88, he left the screenplay for a last unfinished film titled "The Freak," a passion project about a young woman with wings named Serapha who is exploited in all kinds of ways.

Italy's Cineteca di Bologna archives, which have long been in charge of the preservation and restoration of Charlie Chaplin's oeuvre, has just published a book that for the first time unearths the final version of Chaplin's complete "The Freak" script. The book also comprises previously unseen materials, such as preparatory notes, drawings, photos and stills from filmed rehearsals of the film that Bologna archives chief Gianluca Farinelli calls Chaplin's "artistic testament."

Born to a couple of British missionaries, Serapha winds up in Patagonia, where she becomes an angel-like figure at a pilgrimage site for invalids seeking to be cured; she is then kidnapped and brought back to London to be displayed for cash to crowds of miracle seekers before managing to escape and being put on trial to prove she is in any way human.

"The Freak" — which was meant to star Chaplin's then young daughter Victoria as the lead — features rape, murder and the girl's death in the Atlantic Ocean, as Serapha tries to return to Patagonia. There was a small cameo for Chaplin himself as an incredulous drunk who watches her fly above him in the London sky.

Chaplin conceived and developed the idea for the film in 1968/69 when he was almost 80. Even before trying to raise the financing, he personally hired designers to produce storyboards and explore solutions for the necessary pre-CGI effects.

The Cineteca di Bologna book about Chaplin's unmade film, which took 10 years of work, is being published in Italian before being presented to international publishers. In 2014, the Bologna archives published Chaplin's previously unpublished novella "Footlights," the basis for his final finished film "Limelight," about a young ballerina and clown. That book, "Footlights: The World of Limelight," with a commentary by British critic and Chaplin biographer David Robinson, has now been published in 18 languages.

The book about "The Freak," which also features commentary from Robinson, was assembled by Bologna's Cecilia Cenciarelli, who has been working with the Chaplin Archive for years, and found the materials among the papers of Chaplin producer Jerry Epstein.

Cenciarelli worked on the book in close collaboration with Victoria Chaplin, who in a conversation chapter provides insights and personal testimony on the project, as does principal art director Gerald Larn, during preparation of the film. Kate Guyonvarch, managing director of the Paris-based Chaplin Office that licenses Chaplin rights worldwide, also collaborated closely on the project.

Farinelli calls "The Freak," which lashes out against the almighty power of money, the growing impact of advertising and media culture, and even the rise of religious fanaticism, a "very powerful story." Though borne from the imagination of an aging master, Farinelli notes that Chaplin's final project is also very rooted in 1969 — the year the script is dated — "just like [Francois] Truffaut's 'The Wild Child' and Dennis Hopper's 'Easy Rider,'" he says.

In the book's afterword, Farinelli instead points out that "The Freak" is the first Chaplin film in which a woman is both the protagonist and the "only positive character."

"The Freak" was "supposed to be an homage to the women in his life," Farinelli writes. A tribute to the great actresses Chaplin worked with, among whom he cites silent-era star Mabel Normand, Edna Purviance ("The Kid"), Claire Bloom ("Limelight"), his fourth wife Oona O'Neill, and his beloved daughters, in particular Victoria.

Farinelli also points out that, being an octogenarian, Chaplin had at that point freed himself from the burden of appearing on screen himself, so that "his imagination can run freely." At last the tramp, the oddball, for his final work "could take on the semblance of a bird-woman, of a freak."

:ponder:

wilder

That sounds incredible - hoping the book gets released in a translated edition.

jenkins

wilder

A DVD is available from Women Make Movies, along with some of her other films.

jenkins

oh wow that seems great but it's pricey for me. thankfully I hear it's on its way to me through subsurface channels, a tunnel

here's Richard Linklater introducing it and talking about it

wilder

Same, plz lead me to the tunnel

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on December 31, 2020, 04:37:36 PM
plz lead me to the tunnel

the person communicating to me can reach out to you if it all works out. but as I mentioned in background chats sometimes things don't work out it happens, it's realistic

wilder

Thanks, nbd if it doesn't

wilder