How about a 2020 Xixax Dekapenticon? - THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by ono, December 01, 2020, 02:36:17 PM

ono

Hmm...  Well, I think that expanding that list to account for the films of the past 15 years should allow for more room for recent additions as well as past ones.  I mean, isn't one of the criticisms of our lists of years past that they're too neoteric?

I will say, the level of work involved in asking for a top list of the past 20 years is not much greater, so if people want to have two separate votes, I'm okay with that.

Sleepless

I think it's worth doing again. Tastes have changed and Xixax has a lot of new blood since 2006. Doesn't AFI do a "greatest of all time" list every decade?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

ono

So... should we now call this the Xixax Icosicon?

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

PinkTeeth

New Name, Same Typos.

ono

This week I watched Last Year at Marienbad, Vertigo, and rewatched Spirited Away in looking for possible nominations.  Last Year was boring and redundant, yet dreamlike.  I admired the first part, but I literally fell asleep during the last 30 minutes because I started it at like 4 AM, thinking I'd be more awake than I was, and ultimately, I missed most of the important parts of the movie and will probably have to watch it again.  Hey, 60s movies all can't be as captivating as Easy Rider (which I had coincidentally seen for the first time a little over two weeks before making this thread).  Vertigo, I had never seen up until this point.  I can see why it's revered, save for the conceit of the plot machinations that make the whole thing a bit implausible.  Spirited Away I had seen once many years ago, but also fell asleep for a bit once midway through.  I have read at least one other review claiming the same thing.  It's like nothing else, only because animation can do it.  All worth a watch, even if they may or may not ultimately have a place there.  If pressed, I'd say of the four mentioned, Easy Rider is best.  Easy Rider and Vertigo share the same abruptness.  Last Year at Marienbad and Spirited Away share the same dreaminess.  Ultimately, coincidences that don't mean too much.

Please, commence with the campaigning, suggestions, discussions, and nominations!  Looking forward to read what others recommend.

ono

Yeah, I edited the original post.  Open to changes, if anyone thinks there should be any.

Robyn

Brief Encounter is one of the best romantic dramas i've seen, and I hope people watch it and considerer it as one of their nominations! Millennium Mambo is magical and I hope people give it a shot, the structure of that film is heartbreaking; even if she has left him, she's still stuck with him after all these years, dreaming about it and thinking about that relationship and what it meant to her... also, one of the best intros ever made. Kiss Me Deadly is one of the best film noir i've seen, and everyone here should watch it! Also, dont' forget to give Possession a chance! JB might like it if you haven't seen it already!

Also:
My neighbour Totoro is the best gibli.
Bande Apart is the best Godard.
Daisies if you want to get weird!
Stop Making Sense is the best concert film! 
Lover on the bridge!
Shop Arounder the corner!

Robyn

Also, Vertigo is funny.... I started film school (sript writing) 1 year ago, and one my teachers showed it in class. First i was like "how is this the greatest film ever made?", then I waited two months and was like "nah i'm gonna be boring and say that Vertigo is definitely the greatest film ever made"

Jeremy Blackman

I assume everyone is including Dancer In The Dark and Mulholland Drive, so I'll highlight ones that might be overlooked:

Robyn

I included Dogville but no Dancer in the Dark or Melancholia... and also no PTA's because I assumed everyone would vote for him anyway.

....writing that out now i'm realising that's the wrong approach.... fuck.

ono

Yeah, I mean, if everyone thought that way, there would be no PTA films in there.  The big question is, which ones will stick?  My guess is Boogie is out, and CMBB and the Master are in, but may split the vote and fight with PDL and Magnolia.  I think... Phantom Thread is really good but it's too soon to tell.