Lucky Louie (and now Louie)

Started by Ravi, June 09, 2006, 12:42:41 AM

ono

Each week, for 7 weeks~!

EDIT: The first episode was called "Back" and it wasn't just about the fact that he's back.  Clever.  And oh man, the poker game was a delight.  I like that he continues to employ continuity glitches here.  The bus driver from the premiere returns as a friend at the poker game.  Glorious.  And these people masturbate more than anyone on the planet.

Re: "Model", Louie lives in this Kafkaesque world where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.  It's ridiculous, the situations he gets himself into.  He starts the episode getting rejected left and right, gets what he wishes for, but pays a horrible price (as in the story circle made famous by Dan Harmon), and returns changed (bloody nose; ridiculous, lightning-fast law suit settlement), and finally has something to talk about with the waitress who earlier rejected him and now finds him interesting or at least takes pity on him.  I think the whole conceit of the broken nose/lawsuit plot was ridiculous, but it served its purpose.  I had a roommate once who hated cringe-inducing comedy.  He would loathe this show.  It's uncomfortable to the brink of insanity, but there are still glimmers of joy and of course flashes of brilliance.  Chickens are dumb.

ono

A little story Louie told on Opie and Anthony about how Lorne helped him improve his monologue.

ono

"So Did the Fat Lady" - Sarah Baker knocked it outta the park.  I am happy to see "bang-bang" get a new definition.  The barbeque-IHOP one sounds disgusting though.

"Elevator, Part 1" - I want some apple pie.

Love how surreal this show is.  Can't wait to see where this elevator motif goes.  My bet is it's probably just 6 totally unrelated stories that all have to do with elevators.  I don't see how he could stretch these initial interactions over 6 episodes, though stranger things have happened.

this show is pure brilliance. those long shots? the acting? my god, i tear up on shit that doesnt even call for it. how is he given this much creative freedom? he directs this show like a classic film and, call me arrogant, but i don't see millions of people getting the depth of this show, cinematically.

Axolotl

I've only seen the first one of today's episodes but yeah most of the scenes with emotional intensity or catharsis or when he's trying to wrap his head around a situation as it unfolds around him are these beautiful floaty kind of Woody Alleny long takes. The Fat Lady episode ended with a 7.5 minute one. The Model episode had that amazing one when he enters her house, and the one before with the model out of focus outside the charity event. Before that the ones that immediately comes to mind were the house on the Yangtse river and the hospital scene at the end of New Years Eve and the date with the hot girl after he saw the bum who bum rushed him get decapitated.

I'll go watch the next one now.

Drenk

I'm not fat. I'm skinny. And I'm a guy. But what she says in this scene is about how being invisible sucks. The feeling that you can't be desired. Sometimes, I just dream about the possibility that someone could desire me, then it makes me sick because, though I am a human being with a body and all, a personality, life made me think that nobody'd want to hold my hand. What are you in the dating game when you're not a sexual possibility? The dating game...looking for someone to love you, wanting someone to love you. Basic stuff. I admire this show because it takes it seriously.

Also: I'm a guy. I don't think I treat heavy girls as less than human being, but I've been pretty stupid, and I always am. Art is a great way to create empathy, to show you, in different forms, something that you've felt. It was a great episode.

I loved the joggers in the long take. And, as usual, the episodes were full of great shots.

Oh: Jane > Abed.

And a great interview of Sarah Baker, who's more insight about the episode than all the "think piece" of the Universe : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/13/louie-so-did-the-fat-lady_n_5311821.html

Ascension.

ono

he keeps topping himself while remaining consistent.
this is such a brilliant and beautiful show. i go from tearing up to laughing maniacally in two seconds.
janes monologue has to be one of the most chills inducing scenes of any tv series. the performance is other worldly.
and who else had a lump in their throat for the violin scene? my god.

Drenk

The Jane monologue impressed me. I've always loved Jane, it's great that she has a storyline this important. When Louie told her his favorites things (riding elephants, collecting hydrogen, and remembering moments with Jane) I couldn't hold back my tears.

I loved the rest. Last week, I didn't know what to think about the hungarian woman, because he couldn't talk to her. But it worked. When he desperately asked her to stay was one of the best moments of this week's episodes.
Ascension.

i dont know if this is a naive question, which is pretty naive, but has there ever been discussion here of working with child actors?
how the hell does louis ck have such an incredible chemistry with that child? they play off of each other effortlessly.

spoilers spoilers

pam's return was such a heartbreaking meta-moment. could anything be MORE LOUIE? i mean, what else would he have done? this show doesnt mind pissing us off and hurting our feelings for the sake of its meaning, and that is fucking beautiful.

Reel

Quote from: 03 on May 20, 2014, 04:09:04 PM
i dont know if this is a naive question, which is pretty naive, but has there ever been discussion here of working with child actors?

I'm curious about that too, and how he ended up casting them. I believe he talked about it on the season 1 DVD commentary. There's no way to say this without sounding like a total creep, but I am enamored with those little girls.

dont worry, i'm right there with you, homie.
i mean, does he direct all those little nuances? her face when she lists 'real questions'? you have to admit that it's pretty brave to have that long of a shot with a kid. so is it him? or did he find the best child actresses in the universe by fluke?

Drenk

Here's an interview of Ursula Parker who plays Jane. I think she's just a genius. I heard C.K say that everything she says is scripted.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/ursula-parker-louie-ck-jane-chat.html
Ascension.

Cloudy

I have to say, I wasn't as taken with the first 3 episodes of this season as much as some here or friends that watch...but the episodes post Elevator floooored me. I lapped it up, ate it all up. The intimacy and fluidity that goes into making these things is so immediately felt.