Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

modage

Terrible radio rip of the new Arcade Fire single(s).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

diggler

new Russian Futurists (performed live in a duet with Ruth Minnikin)

will this album ever be released?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: KarlJan on May 26, 2010, 03:07:42 PM

what ever happened to this guy? i know he changed the name to Mt Eerie and then kinda died..

i used to be really into this when i was 19, it was the kind of indie bullshit i could get into..

sigh, they just don't make lo-fi indie bullshit like they used to. haha anyone remember when Neutral Milk Hotel was a thing? how far we've come.. (well i just stopped listening to music altogether)
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The Microphones are still fairly incredible in my book, as is Neutral Milk Hotel.  I've definitely outgrown a lot of the indie music that excited me when I was younger, but these bands still stand strong and I feel a major component of that is embracing the moment and not overplaying themselves. 

Neutral Milk Hotel's "On Avery Island" is given time to soak in and appreciate for what it is, to give a comparison to the following opus "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" so there is at least some room to argue "The concept album is tighter" vs. "The older shit was more raw" whatever either of those things mean.  At the end of the day though, they're still quite enjoyable records and are far beyond just being tolerable.  They're wonderful pieces. 

I feel like The Microphones went a similar route.  He released some really warm lo-fi stuff, without soaking so deep in it that he was shouting "CAN YOU FUCKING BELIEVE HOW INDIE I AM?" He made his mark, changed his name and disappeared.  Kind of like any self-respecting indie band should do, it's the greatest any indie icon can hope to achieve.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

I haven't checked recently, but the Mt Eerie guy (phil elvrum?) has/d a website and there were tons of releases, some with books, photos, etc.

I was actually on a NMH kick recently after watching a thing on PBS about Anne Frank. As far as a perfect art pop song, the title track is a pretty good candidate imo.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

squints

who else is listenin to the two new arcade fire tracks?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Quote from: squints on May 27, 2010, 01:42:20 PM

me!

Quote from: modage on May 26, 2010, 03:14:07 PM

Terrible radio rip of the new Arcade Fire single(s).

Now in full 320kbps quality.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Robyn

Listening to the very first single by Lars Eriksson Rejected Love.
And soon we have the first album too, woho! http://www.myspace.com/larsmusic

Quote from: squints on May 27, 2010, 01:42:20 PM

I will soon!

squints

Suckers - Wild Smile

so far i'm lovin' it.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cinemanarchist

Jay Electronica-Victory

Listening to get ready for Jay's free show in Red Hook Park tonight. Very excited.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

That's what I'm talkin about.

And then:

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker

Psychedelic Austrailian stuff.  Some killer tracks on this monster.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cinemanarchist

Fun and trippy stuff. I wonder how many hours a night Madlib sleeps? Only he could put out 12 quality albums in one year.

*Update...I'm glad this is my 666th post.*
My assholeness knows no bounds.

socketlevel

fucking love this guy
the one last hit that spent you...