saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

ono

I'm of the opposite opinion on Wilson and Watkins.  Thought Wilson was great and Watkins never quite fit.  Shame, but moving on, though.  More interested in hearing about the new blood, as is always the case this time of year. 

cine

according to Watkins, Lorne told her she deserved her own show instead.

i think Jenny Slate will be a huge breakthrough star.

the other great news is the hiring of Michael Patrick O'Brien, a longtime chicago improviser, as a writer. i think he'll stick around for a while. can't say the same for the other new writer, fellow chicagoan and stand-up Hannibal Buress.

Bethie

I heard that one girl got canned because she was fat.
who likes movies anyway

ono

That's the rumor, yeah.  Shame of a double-standard. 

Some upcoming episode listings, from Wikipedia:

659    September 26, 2009    Megan Fox    U2
660    October 3, 2009    Ryan Reynolds    Lady Gaga
661    October 10, 2009    Drew Barrymore    Regina Spektor
662    October 17, 2009    Gerard Butler    Shakira
663    October 24, 2009    Ben Stiller    The Black Eyed Peas

No one I'm incredibly excited about seeing, but time will tell.

Oh, and this is Jenny and Nasim.

picolas

what an absolutely HORRENDOUS premiere. holy shit. that episode set the show back a few years.

that digital short was EASILY the WORST digital short EVER MADE without pause or exaggeration. it seemed like it was about a retarded guy and i kept waiting for it to explain itself but NEVER DID. it actually angered me.

the weird thing is weekend update thursday was still good. maybe it's hogging the better material?

my heart BROKE for that new cast member when she dropped the f-bomb. i didn't even realize it had happened until she made that face. wow..

polkablues

Quote from: picolas on September 27, 2009, 04:58:20 PM
my heart BROKE for that new cast member when she dropped the f-bomb. i didn't even realize it had happened until she made that face. wow..

Yeah, I'm hoping the show just takes its FCC fine and leaves it at that.  She doesn't deserve to take the fall for it.  It's not easy to say "fricking" in every sentence and not accidentally slip up.  I'm just hoping they use it as an excuse to never revisit that awful sketch again.

And yes, it was a very weak episode.  No memorable sketches, aggressively bad digital short... even U2 sounded awful, and they let them play three songs!  But Ryan Reynolds is hosting next time, and I believe in Ryan Reynolds.  We'll see.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Megan Fox was terrrrible, worst than I even imagined she would be. Worst episode of SNL I've ever seen I think

OrHowILearnedTo

now im kinda choked i missed it. anyone have a link to where i can watch it online (in canada)?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: picolas on September 27, 2009, 04:58:20 PM
that digital short was EASILY the WORST digital short EVER MADE without pause or exaggeration. it seemed like it was about a retarded guy and i kept waiting for it to explain itself but NEVER DID. it actually angered me.

This seems like a dick thing to say, but I think you watched it wrong. 

I didn't love it or anything, but I applaud the shit out of it.  SNL doesn't do character pieces like that anymore.  Where it's not a person who says a stupid catch phrase over and over and doesn't have a dumb premise.  Just exploring a strange character.
It was like a really good improv scene done with a stupid character that wasn't super funny.

The rest that I saw sucked.

picolas

Quote from: RegularKarate on September 30, 2009, 07:16:00 PMI didn't love it or anything, but I applaud the shit out of it.  SNL doesn't do character pieces like that anymore.  Where it's not a person who says a stupid catch phrase over and over and doesn't have a dumb premise.  Just exploring a strange character.
It was like a really good improv scene done with a stupid character that wasn't super funny.

The rest that I saw sucked.
it's not a 'character piece' though. it's a bunch of random traits (swat team commander, raises lambs) and a retarded voice slapped together. it's just pure, awful randomness.

Bethie

i've been watching a lot of the old snl dvds lately. they were very smart. it used to be smart funny, now its retarded funny.
who likes movies anyway

OrHowILearnedTo

so i did find it online (the megan fox episode) and it was nowhere near as bad as you guys say it is. The digital short was so ridiculous and insane, it worked for me. Fox wasn't nearly annoying as usual. The Michael Phelps episode last year was way more embarrassing.

polkablues

This past episode, Drew Barrymore notwithstanding, was really a step above. The online college commercial, "Celebrity Ghost Stories" and Bill Hader's James Carville impression on Update were all spot-on. They tried to ruin it with a Gilly sketch that was somehow even worse than usual, but they made up for it with a lot of good.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Betty White to host 'SNL' in May
Actress recently received SAG achievement award
Source: Hollywood Reporter

"Golden Girls" actress Betty White will host NBC's "Saturday Night Live" for the first time in her seven-decade career during May sweeps.

The six-time Emmy winner will take the stage live from New York on May 8.

"I can't think of a better way to spend Mother's Day weekend than with Betty White," said Lorne Michaels, creator of SNL.

White recently received the 2010 SAG Lifetime Achievement Award and appeared in the 2009 film "The Proposal."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks