Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Stefen

I saw her! Do you live in New Mexico?

Pretty good episode. Another laying the ground work episode.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

72teeth

Quote from: S.R. on August 22, 2011, 05:47:14 PM
I saw her! Do you live in New Mexico?

nah, but she does... i think she might have been an extra for The Avengers? 
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Jeremy Blackman

Also very much liked the episode. Moved the story forward but with all those lovely, well-crafted intense small scenes.

It's interesting how Walter has figured out the Jesse wedge scheme, but he's still playing right into it. That's so Walter. With the cleaning ladies thing he did get minor temporary revenge, but by doing that he gave full confirmation that it's getting to him, i.e. the wedge is working. And really, he needs to be nicer to Jesse to try to win him back, develop their camaraderie or something. The way he told his theory to Jesse was insulting/abrasive. He did get Jesse thinking, though, which is good. And I think Jesse is smart enough to be skeptical of what Gus told him.

Side note. I do find it somewhat hard to believe that the cleaning ladies were so easily persuaded. Sure, it's money, but they had to be looking around for the cameras. Don't think they would risk their jobs. I mean it's not like Walter even told them they would be safe; he only bribed them.

Overall, Walter is not handling things very skillfully. He's operating from a very volatile/emotional place. I know that's nothing new, but I thought for sure he would start getting it right this season. When will he figure it out? Are all of his emotions concerning his family screwing him up? Will he eventually decide (soon, perhaps) that to protect his family he needs to get colder and go full Heisenberg?

Killer last line, delivered perfectly. "Someone has to protect this family from the man who protects this family." Reminded me of IFT.

squints

Quote from: 72teeth on August 22, 2011, 01:14:15 AM
Cecila Holguin-Anaya as Woman #1!
Well, it wasn't a super huge part, she was the blonde Honduran worker who Walt payed to clean up, but i am super proud of me Grammy! :bravo:

Although, it's weird, but i really wish she did get killed on screen  :twisted:

dude, i'm just incredibly sad your gramma had to go out like
. brutal.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

So what about Skyler flipping the coin?

Very cool that they used James Hand's music. He was also featured on Friday Night Lights.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

squints

Quote from: tpfkabi on August 23, 2011, 01:51:35 PM
So what about Skyler flipping the coin?

Very cool that they used James Hand's music. He was also featured on Friday Night Lights.

Ugh, i kinda got this ugly "Weeds" vibe from that, I'm not really sure why. What if walt died and the last season is about Skylar only? Don't think she could carry the show. I mean she's no Connie Britton.

In other news, "I AM THE DANGER! I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!"
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

tpfkabi

Was it meant to imply she was considering running away with their baby?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

©brad

Hmm I don't know about this episode. It wasn't bad really, it just felt like the writers were treading water, particularly with Walter and Skyler. I mean dang we've seen this same argument between them 10 times now and this one didn't really break any new ground. All the progress they made just last episode, with them boning and reuniting abruptly and awkwardly reverted right back to where they were 2 episodes ago.

A lot of the interweb is bitching that we're not getting enough Gus. I don't really agree with that. I feel the less screen time he gets the more menacing he is, kind of in a Hannibal Lector way. It makes the moments we do see him all the more awesome/terrifying. Plus I'm sure as we turn the corner to the second half of the season we'll be seeing more of him.

Skyler's daytrip was beautifully shot.

Walt hiring the mexican ladies was funny.

The shovel POV shot was pointless.

Ghostboy

Two seasons ago, Vince Gilligan said in interviews that he felt the show could last four seasons. Now he says five, which seems to suggest that maybe, just maybe, this is sort of a filler season. At least the first half. On the one hand I really appreciate everyone having to deal with the consequences of their actions, and I like the slow build-up to what will surely be a tense last few episodes (Walt has to supersede Gus as the drug kingpin, right? Gus isn't long for this world) and all the significant thematic plants (Bogdan's dialogue to Walt about how to be a boss). On the other hand, I've yet to be fully satisfied with the cut to black on any of the last few episodes.

polkablues

Quote from: ©brad on August 24, 2011, 10:28:35 PM

Honduran. You racist.
My house, my rules, my coffee

72teeth

Quote from: polkablues on August 24, 2011, 10:53:08 PM

Honduran. You racist.

no he's right, all three of those women were in fact mexican :)
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

I was disappointed with the first 6 or 7 episodes of last season too, but it made up for it with the last 6 or so.

squints

The shovel POV shot was pointless.

It reminded me of the game Postal. Which i'm sure a lot of whacked out meth heads still play.

theyarelegion

tonights episode...that's how you do it.