Best Original Music

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 25, 2005, 08:21:59 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Best Original Music: ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (Jon Brion)

THE NOMINEES

The Aviator
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
I Heart Huckabees
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zizou
Sideways

matt35mm

Hell.  Yes.  I can't believe this isn't nominated for the Oscar.  This was the score that moved me the most this year.

Jeremy Blackman

I Heart Huckabees was better.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI Heart Huckabees was better.
it's the only thing in the movie worth revisiting. and wahlberg/watts if u could isolate them.
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

In response to every post:

What the fuck?
I like to hug dogs

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: Pubrickit's the only thing in the movie worth revisiting.
Um, how about no?
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pubrick

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
Quote from: Pubrickit's the only thing in the movie worth revisiting.
Um, how about no?
and wahlberg/watts if u could isolate them.
under the paving stones.

The Silver Bullet

You misunderstand me. What I mean is this: I Heart Huckabees was the best film, American or otherwise, of 2004.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

brockly

this is the only category i voted eternal sunshine. the score was pretty fucking amazing

Redlum

I must agree that the Huckabees score was superior but who cares its all Jon Brion. Watching him on that huge organ in the DVD extras is inspiring.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Quote from: ®edlumI must agree that the Huckabees score was superior but who cares its all Jon Brion. Watching him on that huge organ in the DVD extras is inspiring.
as much as i enjoy jon brions songs on the sntk, i still think huckabees is his least interesting score.  nowhere near as grand as magnolia, loopy as pdl, or as touching as eternal sunshine.  elephant parade, row, phone call and the theme are fantastic.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

This score was alot better than huckabees, although huckabees had vocal tracks which i dig, i don't think eternal sunshine did, anytime Jon Brion can win something is a good thing.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Strings That Tie To You is the only song with vocals Brion did on the Sunshine sntk.  he had (i think) 5 on the Huckabees sntk.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

Quote from: themodernage02
as much as i enjoy jon brions songs on the sntk, i still think huckabees is his least interesting score.  nowhere near as grand as magnolia, loopy as pdl, or as touching as eternal sunshine.  elephant parade, row, phone call and the theme are fantastic.

Hmm I agree with you there but I think part of what makes Huckabees my best soundtrack of the year is how challenging a film it scored. His previous works have been very cinematic - Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love provide a lush backdrop of emotions whereas Huckabees doesnt contain the traditional kind opportunities for a composer to kick it up a notch. The original songs for Huckabees are so intertwined with the story that it is impossible to imagine the film without them. And that is no small accomplisment considering the complicated themes of the film. Its one thing to write a soaring score for someone falling in love but to encapsulate someone going through an existential crisis is much harder. Jon Brion is the only person that could have scored that film.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas