QUENTINS TOP 10 OF ALL TIME

Started by modage, June 08, 2003, 11:17:14 PM

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

weird, no cool films that he saw in the fests.  then what good is he for?

(on the other hand, good for him.)
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alexandro

those are all his buddies.
why not throw in "shorts" by robert rodriguez?

Gold Trumpet

I'm happy Tarantino chose Star Trek as his number one. When I first watched the movie in theaters, I was coming to terms with how much it wasn't like Star Trek, but having recently watched it again and been able to distance myself from my original feelings, I actually really think it's great entertainment. An atypical reverse on my part, maybe, but I had the same thing happen with L.A. Confidential originally because the book outmatched the movie in every way, but a little time allowed me to come around to changing my opinion. Now between Mission Impossible III and Star Trek, J.J. Abrams is separating himself from other Hollywood filmmakers and making action blitzes that are pretty memorable.

Stefen

I guess taking into consideration it's QT's 'favorite' films of the year and not the 'best' it's cool that he has Star Trek at the top, but I don't think great entertainment should be the sole basis for judging the best film of the year. Favorite is fine, but even then, I think Up is a far better favorite film. All Star Trek did was reboot an ailing franchise, sex it up, cool it up, make it younger and more hip, then play it by the numbers.

The list is just a safe list.  Maybe I'm just naive for wanting something provocative and off the wall from QT these days, but most of that list reads like People Magazines best movies of the year.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

that list kind of angers me. he's ignoring so much. and so much relatively trashy genre stuff is clogging the upper levels.. like the 17 year list. the thing that really bugs me is the amount of attention such a crappy list will get.. tarantino sucks at lists.

Alexandro

am i the only one who gets the inglorious basterds thread locked???

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Alexandro on January 09, 2010, 08:15:46 PM
am i the only one who gets the inglorious basterds thread locked???

It's locked for me as well.

polkablues

That's odd. Anyway, it's unlocked now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Toy Story 3 Tops Quentin Tarantino's Best of 2010
Source: Thompson on Hollywood

Quentin Tarantino has posted his favorite movies of 2010, all twenty of them. Unlike many critics, Tarantino has no problem with citing movies that are popular hits. And he's seen his share of obscurities as well. Tarantino is an Academy member, though not a typical one. His taste is catholic, ranging from specialty and foreign films to raunchy comedies, animated family fare and big-budget actioners. His most surprising choices are two critical and box office studio failures that are as well-directed as they were commercially misguided: James Mangold's Knight and Day and Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. Wow.

1. Toy Story 3
2. The Social Network
3. Animal Kingdom
4. I Am Love
5. Tangled
6. True Grit
7. The Town
8. Greenberg
9. Cyrus
10. Enter The Void ("Hands down best credit scene of the year ... Maybe best credit scene of the decade. One of the greatest in cinema history." – QT)
11. Kick Ass.

And the runners up are
12. Knight and Day
13. Get Him To The Greek
14. The Fighter
15. The Kings Speech
16. The Kids Are All Right
17. How To Train Your Dragon
18. Robin Hood
19. Amer
20. Jackass 3-D
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Does he write for Entertainment Weekly now or something?

He hasn't seen anything.

The sad thing is people are going to go, "Yeah, Robin Hood? Heard it was good. It made the Tarantino list."

Sleepless

People would see Robin Hood anyway, but this is inexcusable:

Quote from: modage on January 02, 2011, 10:13:29 PM
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

tpfkabi

I finally saw Repo Man (1984) and saw several QT-esque elements.
Has he ever spoken of this film?
A brief Google search finds no connection, but it's really hard to believe it had no influence on him whatsoever.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alexandro

the guy always mentions films by his friends, he has no credibility with this shit. it's different when he speaks at length about a particular film he liked, but just making up a list as random as this one means nothing. that said, you can see he means the first 11 and then uses the "runner ups" to be friendly with some people. robin hood was bad any way you looked at it.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Sleepless on January 03, 2011, 05:57:54 AM
People would see Robin Hood anyway, but this is inexcusable:

Quote from: modage on January 02, 2011, 10:13:29 PM

Are you thereby excusing Knight and Day???
My assholeness knows no bounds.