Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Ravi

Maybe if Buena Vista released DL they would have licensed it out to Criterion.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on February 28, 2008, 12:04:21 PM
That sucks. Was there not a Wes Anderson interview or announcement that he (or someone else) said all future Wes Anderson films would be released through Criterion (mind, this was some time ago so my mind is hazy)?

He'd be stupid to say that because he doesn't have that power and never did.

I wonder if he did little with the Fox Searchlight release because he was pissed that Criterion wasn't releasing it?

This was going to become a problem with any company. Studios are given more evidence all the time to how DVD represents huge profits and they are becoming more protective of rights.

But then he's working with Criterion for Bottle Rocket.

Bottle Rocket was already milked out. The studio that owns the film know they can't make another special edition that will get a substantial income so they are allowing Criterion to take over. Customer demand is high for a Criterion release. People who like Darjeeling Limited will by the studio dvd now and re-buy the Criterion version down the line. Until Fox Searchlight believes they have sold as many dvds as they will, they will hold onto rights for Darjeeling Limited. Once the DVD becomes a $5 trash bin disposable then Criterion will get the rights. It's why Ang Lee's The Ice Storm just now is being released by Criterion.

Something don't add up.

It makes perfect sense.

or maybe it's more like he's pissed at Fox Searchlight for not letting him release it via Criterion so he didn't take an active part in their dvd.

I don't think it's that big of a deal to him. He knows rights eventually will fall by the wayside and he will get a chance to release his films on Criterion, but I'm sure he's currently worried about making his next feature film.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 28, 2008, 12:42:24 PM
Until Fox Searchlight believes they have sold as many dvds as they will, they will hold onto rights for Darjeeling Limited. Once the DVD becomes a $5 trash bin disposable then Criterion will get the rights. It's why Ang Lee's The Ice Storm just now is being released by Criterion.

Something don't add up.

It makes perfect sense.

or maybe it's more like he's pissed at Fox Searchlight for not letting him release it via Criterion so he didn't take an active part in their dvd.

I don't think it's that big of a deal to him. He knows rights eventually will fall by the wayside and he will get a chance to release his films on Criterion, but I'm sure he's currently worried about making his next feature film.

i think it will be a bargin dvd pretty quick. that's one reason i don't see how FS thinks they're going to make so much money out of it. i'm a huge WA fan and i'll probably just wait until it's the cheapest used price at Blockbuster to buy it. this isn't Garden State with a popular soundtrack behind it and it was not nominated for any awards that i know of to give it any more publicity. basically it's a film that will only be known by the already converted (most of which believe there will be another release and they'll probably avoid this one) or the random person who sees the dvd cover and decides to rent or buy it on a whim.

i think Wes cares about the dvd presentation of his films though. i doubt seriously Criterion made him make the very detailed maps (or ask his brother to), record commentaries, etc on their other releases.

now Godard definitely seems to not care. as far as i can tell he's done nothing for his Criterion releases.

speaking of, i thought it was pretty funny when that guy called Godard on that Criterion Breathless documentary to ask him his thoughts on the film. if you haven't seen it, he basically tells him to buzz off.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

grand theft sparrow

FYI, familyvideo.com is selling The Last Emperor for $40.99 for today only.  No special code needed as far as I can tell.

MacGuffin

Quote from: hacksparrow on February 29, 2008, 08:17:06 AM
FYI, familyvideo.com is selling The Last Emperor for $40.99 for today only.  No special code needed as far as I can tell.

Deep Discount has it for $37.98 everyday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Gold Trumpet

tpfkabi

I got a postcard for another film with Pierrot Le Fou.
Is this a new Criterion thing?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on March 12, 2008, 06:51:40 PM

It's been a new thing for a while. Has to be over a year by now. Discussion of it goes back many pages in this thread.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on March 12, 2008, 07:08:12 PM
Quote from: bigideas on March 12, 2008, 06:51:40 PM

It's been a new thing for a while. Has to be over a year by now. Discussion of it goes back many pages in this thread.

ok.
Breathless was the last chronological Criterion I got and I guess it didn't have one because of it's unique packaging.
Before that was Army of Shadows and it didn't have one.

SiliasRuby

GT: Has Criterion said anything about they are going to do about BLU-RAY? and i they are going to adapt to it or not?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

last days of gerry the elephant

I remember reading something about how when and if a single format prevails in the HD war, they would soon step in and start putting out titles in HD. Which shouldn't take long anyway, from what I hear they've already got a number of titles from their catalog mastered in HD.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: overmeunderyou on March 13, 2008, 01:25:00 AM
I remember reading something about how when and if a single format prevails in the HD war, they would soon step in and start putting out titles in HD. Which shouldn't take long anyway, from what I hear they've already got a number of titles from their catalog mastered in HD.

Correctmundo. I don't know if I'd expect an annoucement really soon because maybe they want to get to caught with transferring their catalogue, but it's inevitible that Criterion will come to Blu-Ray soon.

BigIdeas, not all copies have postcards. Many people will only go through select vendors to gurantee getting one. They say buying online isn't a good way to get a postcard.

edison

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Paul Schrader and cinematographer John Bailey
- New audio commentary featuring Schrader and producer Alan Poul
- The Strange Case of Yukio Mishima, a 55-minute BBC documentary about the author
- New interviews with Donald Richie and John Nathan, collaborators and friends of Yukio Mishima
- New interviews with Bailey, producers Tom Luddy and Mata Yamamoto, composer Philip Glass, and production designer Eiko Ishioka
- A new audio interview with coscreenwriter Chieko Schrader
- A video interview excerpt featuring Mishima talking about writing
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Kevin Jackson and a piece on the film's censorship in Japan

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the Japanese and English versions, with optional Japanese or English intertitles
- A 45-minute audio recording of Yukio Mishima speaking to the Foreign Correspondents' Association of Japan
- A 45-minute making-of documentary, featuring crew from the film's production
- Interview excerpts featuring Mishima discussing war and death
- PLUS: A new essay by renowned critic and historian Tony Rayns, Mishima's original short story, and Mishima's extensive notes on the film's production

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Excerpts from Claude Sautet ou La magie invisible, a documentary on the director by writers N. T. Binh and Dominique Rabourdin
- Archival interview footage featuring actor Lino Ventura discussing his career
- Original French and U.S. release trailers
- PLUS: New essays by director Bertrand Tavernier and critic N. T. Binh, a reprinted interview with Sautet, and a tribute by Jean-Pierre Melville

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Audio commentary featuring film historian Jim Kitses (Horizons West)
- A rare, 1931 on-camera interview with Walter Huston, made for the movie theater series Intimate Interviews
- New video interview with Nina Mann, daughter of director Anthony Mann
- Stills gallery of rare behind-the-scenes photos
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Robin Wood ans a 1957 Cahiers du cinéma interview with Mann, as well as a new printing of Niven Busch's original novel
- More!

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Milcho Manchevski
- Audio commentary featuring Manchevski and film scholar Annette Insdorf
- New video interview with actor Rade Šerbedžija
- Manchevski's award-winning music video of Arrested Development's "Tennessee"
- Stills galleries of Manchevski's photographs and on-set shots
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Ian Christie

Cobz

July criterions announced -

Mon oncle Antoine (Claude Jutra, 1971)

Trafic (Jacques Tati, 1971)

Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932)