greatest movie entrances

Started by Alethia, May 30, 2003, 02:27:01 PM

Alethia

what film do you think has the greatest entrance of a character in it?  i would have to say my personal favorite is when the president calls out dr. strangelove in GASP! DR. STRANGELOVE.  i get such a rush at that part....hehehehe

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

BonBon85

Mesh

Tom Hulce's first scene as Mozart in Amadeus is pretty memorable.

"Uoy [e]Vol I Tub."

"Tihs Ym Tae."

NEON MERCURY

ewan in -trainspotting-

BTW-                        MOGWAI that is the ocean's video beneath your name right? cool.!!!!!!!

sexterossa

catwoman in batman returns. when she does the back flips and then whips.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

dufresne

Quote from: SoNowThenOrson in The Third Man

unfortunately i didn't think his entrance was as great as anticipated.  after all, this is something that is mentioned in almost every critique/analysis of the film.
There are shadows in life, baby.

soixante

My favorite entrance -- Johnny Boy in Mean Streets, who literally enters with a bang -- he puts something in a mailbox, walks away, quickly, and then the mailbox blows up.  Since this was the role that put De Niro on the map, it also serves as a "career entrance."

Going in the opposite direction, for subtle entrances, how about Mrs. Miller in McCabe and Mrs. Miller, who is glimpsed fleetingly well before she is properly introduced into the film, which I suppose is Altman's way of showing that even the lead character is part of the social fabric before getting pulled out and examined.

For comical entrances, I enjoy Toad in American Graffiti, who pulls up to Mel's on a scooter, then loses control of it and falls off, and then suffers the indignity of having his trousers yanked down by Milner.

More great entrances:

We hear a toilet flush, then out walks George C. Scott in Dr. Strangelove.

We glimpse the back of Marcellus Wallace's head in Pulp Fiction as he gives his "fuck pride" speech to Butch the boxer.

We hear Warren Beatty having sex and answering his always-ringing phone in his dark bedroom in Shampoo, thus giving us the entire movie in miniature before the opening credits finish rolling.
Music is your best entertainment value.

soixante

How could I forget -- William Holden in Sunset Boulevard, floating dead in a swimming pool.  In one image, tone, character & setting are concisely  conveyed.  Best of all, Holden's entrance is also an exit.

Speaking of which, what is the best exit?  Probably from the same movie.  Gloria Swanson ready for her close up.
Music is your best entertainment value.

aurora

Fuck

A awesome thread

I like:

The Wolf > Pulp Fiction
Todd Parker > Boogie Nights
Max Cady > Cape Fear

There is probably more but I can't remember

children with angels

Grace Kelly in Rear Window. Jimmy Stewart's sleeping in half-light. A shadow starts to creep accross him, he slowly wakes. We cut to Grace - the most beautiful woman to have ever been on a cinema screen, his object of affection and fear - appearing silently, floating up through frame, almost menacingly. They kiss in profile, silent and in slow motion.

Kim Novak in Vertigo. Jimmy Stewart is looking for her in background of the restaurant, spying. She gets up and starts to walk out, but then stops as she nears him; he looks down. He sneaks a look at her as she stands in front of him. His whole fucking world changes. That one shot where she is standing there, in profile looking up, the lights around her dim, she gets an intense, dreamlike glow, the music: it just sums up all those feelings of love, lust, darkness, death, obsession, voyeurism. Superb. ( Actually, if anyone would DVD cap that for me, I would be eternally grateful...)
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

aurora

I also like Grace Kelly's entrance in Rear Window

I want to see it again

She was sexy.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: BonBon85PBH in Boogie Nights

amen

...btw 'Mogwai' you capture all the kodakmoments  :wink:

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: SoNowThenOrson in The Third Man

I agree 100%. Right on.

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.