Movies You Love to Watch All the Time

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 16, 2003, 09:09:15 PM

Gold Trumpet

Greatest lists and such seem to always put focus on the dramas, the films that take a lot out of you and really are only good to watch on certain times. What I'm looking for is when PTA says he rather watch an Adam Sandler comedy on a saturday night then Magnolia. Or Martin Scorsese saying as the film world passes him by today, he still just rather watch the old Powell and Pressburger movies instead.

the movies I watch all the time are the Hayao Miyazaki films. The new release of three of his movies on dvd just loaded my arsenal of his movies even more. Castle in the Sky is a great and imaginative action film that needs to be seen by everyone. Already had seen Kiki's Delivery Service and liked it a lot. Spirited Away, in Japanese language, is a masterpiece that rides as both a personal fantasy film and art house piece. But Miyazaki is providing me with that great feeling in watching a movie that was not only fun, but just great in doing so.

~rougerum

Pedro

Woody Allen movies, Annie Hall, especially.

dufresne

John Hughes movies are short and sweet.

but seriously, at 145 minutes, i still don't mind watching Shawshank repeatedly.
There are shadows in life, baby.

Redlum

Wonder Boys. I dont know what it is about this film but I think its my all time favourite movie. Thats not placing it in any historical context or anything but it just has to be my 'fuck it, lest stick on ------' movie.

The Mummy (99) Its just so over the top and so much fun to watch. Even the sfx guy is fun to watch.

John Andrew Burton Jr SFX Supervisor The Mummy.

Back to the Future Prt 1 - This was my all time favourite movie since I was 6 and it was the first film I saw. I think its the one movie thats reallyingrained on my soul.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ghostboy

Pee Wee's Big Adventure, for sure.

Redlum, have you read The Wonder Boys novel? It's even better than the movie.

xerxes

Quote from: dufresne
but seriously, at 145 minutes, i still don't mind watching Shawshank repeatedly.

second that

Quote from: redlum
Wonder Boys. I dont know what it is about this film but I think its my all time favourite movie.

just read the book, which was really good... the movie is pretty good too though

Redlum

Quote from: GhostboyPee Wee's Big Adventure, for sure.

Redlum, have you read The Wonder Boys novel? It's even better than the movie.

Not yet. But that sounds like the best recomendation to me. I heard the Terry Crabtree character was actually an older over-weight guy?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetOr Martin Scorsese saying as the film world passes him by today, he still just rather watch the old Powell and Pressburger movies instead.

MARTIN SCORSESE | FAVOURITE FILMS
"These are five movies that I continue to live by"...
8½ - Federico Fellini
Citizen Kane - Orson Welles
The Leopard - Luchino Visconti
The Red Shoes - Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger
The Searchers - John Ford
(Source: 1992 Sight & Sound Directors' Poll)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

chainsmoking insomniac

Movies I watch repeatedly:

1) Boogie Nights, religiously
2) Wayne's World
3) Manhattan Murder Mystery, Annie Hall....

.....and a bunch of others
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinMARTIN SCORSESE | FAVOURITE FILMS
"These are five movies that I continue to live by"...
8½ - Federico Fellini
Citizen Kane - Orson Welles
The Leopard - Luchino Visconti
The Red Shoes - Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger
The Searchers - John Ford
(Source: 1992 Sight & Sound Directors' Poll)
wow, i wish i was old.

things i can't not watch:
love and death/annie hall
the windowlicker video
the bachelorette video
and when i get ghost world i'll watch that a lot.

i've been listenin to more music and watchin less movies lately.. that explains, sumthin.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Superman I&II
The first three Star Wars films
Back to the Future I
Shawshank (still don't own that one...hoping for the special edition soon, but everytime it's on TV, I watch at least half of it)
Used to watch Flash Gordon all the damn time too.  Not so much anymore.

Kev Hoffman

My list:

For years now:
Chasing Amy
Star Wars: ANH

More recently:
Magnolia

Raikus

I guess I differ from most of you on the type of movies I watch repeatedly. Usually I want something rather mindless that I enjoy or a movie that makes me feel good. So with that in mind:

Empire Records
Army of Darkness
A Better Place
Fifth Element
From Dusk Til Dawn
Rushmore
Princess Bride
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SoNowThen

Glengarry Glen Ross
Band Of Outsiders
Ghostbusters
Taxi Driver

It's a weird mix -- I know. But for some reason I can watch these movies constantly.

I'd say Magnolia, but when you work full time, then come home and try and finish a script, it's hard to find 3 hours. Oh well, live for the weekends, I guess.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Duck Sauce

I watch Punch Drunk Love like twice a week since I got it.

- Boogie Nights
- Back to the Future
- Fight Club