Sony Develops Paper DVD

Started by Ravi, April 20, 2004, 12:25:03 PM

Ravi

Sony develops paper DVD

Sony develops paper DVD
Mon Apr 19,11:49 AM ET

TOKYO (AFP) - Electronics giant Sony and another Japanese company have developed a "paper disc" that can record more than two hours of high-definition images and be destroyed with scissors for foolproof data security, officials said.

The 25-gigabite Blu-ray optical disc is 51 percent paper and was developed jointly with Toppan Printing Co. Ltd. of Japan.

"Since a paper disc can be cut by scissors easily, it is simple to preserve data security when disposing of the disc," Toppan managing director Hideaki Kawai said in a joint statement with Sony.

Masanobu Yamamoto, senior managing director at optical disc development division of Sony, said the firms were able to use paper in the new disc as the Blu-ray technology does not require laser light to travel through the substrate.

The technical details of how it is possible to use paper as a data storage disc would be disclosed Tuesday at a conference in Monterey, California, according to Sony.

The combination of paper material and printing technology is also expected to lead to a reduction in cost per disc and will expand usage, the two partners said. It has yet to be decided when the disc will be commercially available.

The use of paper in electronics products is not new for Sony.

In 1950 when Japan was still struggling to rise from the ashes of World War II, Sony, then called Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo, made magnetic tapes using a similar grade of paper to that used for ordinary envelopes.

Sony used racoon hair brushes to daub magnetic powder over the paper to produce what it cally "SONI TAPE", starting its history as an audio-video products maker.

The Blu-ray disc format allows high-capacity optical-disc storage to be used for such technologies as high-definition televisions.

A group of manufacturers was set up in 2002 to promote a common standard for the disc format comprising Dell Inc., Hewlett-Packard, Hitachi, LG Electronics, Matsushita Electronics Industrial, Mitsubishi Electric Corp, Pioneer Corp, Royal Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sharp Corp, Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (news - web sites) and Thomson.

pete

yep, just what we need, more ways to accidentally lose information.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

But nobody's come up with a way to lose THIS much information THIS easily before.  

Nobody... until now.

One bad rainstorm and entire companies could fall apart.

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

cine

There's nothing more pathetic than labeling something "Paper Disc."

Quote from: CinephileThere's nothing more pathetic than labeling something "Paper Disc."

How about  " The name's Bond, Paper Bond DVD's"   ??
context, context, context.

NEON MERCURY

Oh SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .LOOK she's right handed.... :shock:  :shock:

A Matter Of Chance

It makes sense. Who hasn't looked at a DVD and thought, "Damn, I wish these were made of paper!"

cine

Quote from: A Matter Of ChanceIt makes sense. Who hasn't looked at a DVD and thought, "Damn, I wish these were made of paper!"
Or "Damn, I wish I could cut this little sucker with scissors!"

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: A Matter Of ChanceIt makes sense. Who hasn't looked at a DVD and thought, "Damn, I wish these were made of paper!"
Or "Damn, I wish I could cut this little sucker with scissors!"

My reaction toward double dippings... then I count to ten.
context, context, context.

modage

hahah, every damn day.  and this is the tragedy that has been my life......up until now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ravi

Quote from: SHAFTRrecycled paper dvds?

"Um, yes, I'm collecting DVDs for recycling."

::runs home to watch new paper DVD collection::

Myxo

She is a little too happy to be wielding those scissors.

Stefen

I bet they will include them with happy meals with some trailer of some crappy straight to video disney flick. People are too lazy nowadays, oh you can't dispose of your secret nasa plans? You have to cut them with scissors? fuck that. Nothing is old school anymore.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.