Music off the beaten path

Started by putneyswipe, April 22, 2020, 07:00:10 PM

putneyswipe

Can we have a thread where we share our latest internet/bandcamp/crate-digging musical finds? The music landscape is so vast nowadays so I'm sure all of us have albums/songs that are extremely unknown to others.

WorldForgot

Dig the idea. I'll probably just keep making those types of posts on "Now Playing," cuz it's all gravy, while checking out anything added onto here ~

putneyswipe

Yeah forgot we had that thread. I was thinking a music equivalent to the "cult cinema" thread

WorldForgot

Hmm, yeah, I feel ya.
This has got to be one of the peak findz for me back in HS, when I realized there was an avant garde past even Sonic Youth's Tremens or Beefheart, loops that are as much musical craft as technical experiment:

putneyswipe

https://youtu.be/iXJqWzrX2MI

Just found this 4-Hour comp of experimental Iranian noise/ambient sound art. Had no idea they had a thriving experimental music scene there. Dark, brooding, soundtrack-y vibes with some exotic flavor

putneyswipe

https://youtu.be/yQYjh1pHyWw

Moving from the other thread. Another recent discovery for me, Foresteppe, is a Russian ambient musician who makes folky, warm ambient soundscapes out of decayed tape loops of field recordings from his native siberia. This album blew me away.

WorldForgot

wilberfan

Dude.  I remember Dr. John quite well.  Loved his stuff.   Inspiration for Dr. Teeth, of course.  Nice post.

WorldForgot

Are there any novels or non-fiction books that turned you onto music you otherwise might never have heard? Which texts, and what musicians?

And, I know Aphex Twin isn't really "off the beaten path" but has anyone read good work on either his life or career? After reading Mark Fisher's GHOSTS OF MY LIFE, and its (K-Punk's) hauntological perspective on Burial, I'm very curious to learn more about what soil Aphex/AFX sprouted out of and how that grew.