The French Dispatch

Started by WorldForgot, February 11, 2020, 02:22:52 PM

WorldForgot

QuoteSearchlight Pictures has released a new poster for The French Dispatch, Anderson's highly anticipated comedy-drama and the first live-action film for the director since 2014's The Grand Budapest Hotel.

The poster debut comes a day before the trailer for The French Dispatch is set to hit the internet, and teases the various stories and vignettes of the film, which follows the lives of a staff of a European publication.

THE FRENCH DISPATCH brings to life a collection of stories from the final issue of an American magazine published in a fictional 20th-century French city.

There's Tilda Swinton, Frances McDormand, Bill Murray, and Jeffrey Wright on the top level, presumably in a newsroom. We also see Adrian Brody surrounded by potted plants, Benicio del Toro painting in an art studio, and photographer Owen Wilson balancing on a precariously placed bike. A suited Léa Seydoux stands next to a curiously placed gun and police baton, while Timothée Chalamet relaxes in a bathtub (the latter of which is a wise bit of placement by Anderson, if I do say so myself).

Lyna Khoudri, Stephen Park, and Mathieu Amalric also appear in adjacent rooms to the building, as a reading pilot, a chef, and a butler, respectively. The poster is loaded with little details — I didn't even touch on the bustling city in the background — all in that whimsical style Anderson is known for.

Along with Liev Schreiber, Elisabeth Moss, Edward Norton, Willem Dafoe, Lois Smith, Cécile de France, Guillaume Gallienne, Jason Schwartzman, Tony Revolori, Rupert Friend, Bob Balaban, Hippolyte Girardot, and Anjelica Huston. Stick around for the trailer release tomorrow.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia

We've reached peak Wes. His best cast? Benicio, Elizabeth Moss, Christoph Waltz, plus the old guard. I dunno, every time I go in feeling like, Ugh this precious shit again? and I usually come out loving it anyway. (Except Isle of Dogs.) Yeah I'm excited, shit.

jenkins

i think he's like Malick in that everybody is so used to him they can't tell what he's doing

i'm saying Anderson is getting better and this seems to be building from The Grand Budapest Hotel, which is his most accomplished movie

©brad

Quote from: eward on February 12, 2020, 10:23:17 AM
We've reached peak Wes. His best cast? Benicio, Elizabeth Moss, Christoph Waltz, plus the old guard. I dunno, every time I go in feeling like, Ugh this precious shit again? and I usually come out loving it anyway. (Except Isle of Dogs.) Yeah I'm excited, shit.

I actually respect Wes for not allowing himself to be influenced by critics who lodge the same complaints over and over again over his style.

Alethia

Yeah, that's legit. My heart clings to Rushmore but it seems clear Grand Budapest is his masterpiece. This is my most anticipated of 2020 so far.

polkablues

Look, I'm not immune to the charms of the Wes Anderson aesthetic, but the question I have is: does Wes even know why he's still making movies? Is there some compelling artistic need inherent in the stories he's choosing to tell that's just flying over my head? Because when I watch a trailer like this, the first thought that pops into my head is, "No thanks, I've already seen a Wes Anderson movie."
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

idk man that's an awkward question really. i'd just read some articles maybe

putneyswipe

His emotional arcs were always calculated and they've become almost mathematical to the point where they leave me indifferent. That being said he's an obsessive with a point of view and that's a rarity in American filmmaking or anywhere, honestly.

jenkins

pater, you know, said that all thought aspires to mathematics, as all art aspires to music

going into all that's being left out of this conversation tires me right now, especially because of all the fundamentals involved. i think the quickest rebuttal is to mention how swift and easy the criticisms are, compared to how expansive the responses could be. there's some static interference taking place here, perhaps exactly because of familiar emotional arcs prohibiting a full view: The Grand Budapest Hotel is genuinely in every way superior to every movie Anderson made before it, and it's different from all of them too, a culmination if you will, except also if you think about it Wes Anderson has a lot to culminate

Drenk

I'll say: I appreciate most of what Anderson has done, but was really blown away by The Grand Budapest Hotel, which seemed like, yes, a culmination and a new path, and I'm very hyped for The French Dispath although I also resent the fact that I'm not playing the part of Timothée Chalamet.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

Beam it to us ASAP Wes, thx, o_o

jenkins

well, funded, not made. but sure