lumping:

ordinary people
in the bedroom
you can count on me
house of sand and fog
heavy

respond to any or all

1) which film is most dynamic and why?
2) what is/are the cinematic commonality/ies that works for these films?
3) any films you might add to this lump? explain why?

thanks
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

pete

haven't seen "heavy", but aren't they all about the disappereance or the addition of a person that causes major rifts in another family's daily life?  aka the "you think these people have it all...but look again" genre.
it's like serious fiction workshop writer's favorite theme "subtle change in a relationship that causes a major rift" or whatever Carver-esque themes you'd throw in there.  I enjoyed "In the Bedroom" the most from this lump because it seemed to be the least petty and I guess most melodramatic (good and bad) which resulted a more generic but more satisfying ending.  I find that most dynamic just because though it was an "easy" ending on paper, the sudden shift in the tone was a big risk and it pulled it off in my opinion.
I'll throw in Ang Lee's "pushing hands" in there 'cause it's roughly about the same thing, though a bit more naive and even more melodramatic.  but I think all these films deal with "suburban represssion" and Pushing Hands did away with it in the end quite nicely, and though not most realistic, it was also very satisfying.  The Celebration too, has just a little bit to do with all the aforementioned films.

god I feel like I'm taking a test or something.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

atticus jones

Quote from: pete

god I feel like I'm taking a test or something.

nice work pete...you passed

on a side note...i was invited to book soup on sunset a while back to hear todd field and will mapother read selections from andre dubus shorts...enjoyable evening
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

NEON MERCURY

i have only seen you can count on me, house of sand and fog, and in the bedroom....

so...

Quote from: atticus jones1) which film is most dynamic and why?
2) what is/are the cinematic commonality/ies that works for these films?
3) any films you might add to this lump? explain why?

1.> most dymanic?....in the bedroom.i fucking love this film...why? its raw energy, force, acting....it feels real to me...i can relate to the stahl character..[i like hot older women too]....th eparents are unrelinting...daddy gets revenge....oh man....mommy slaps hard...thats the best cinematic slap....and todd field is a cool guy...

2.> commonalities.....?....spoilers...............

of the three that i have seen they all:

-the house is a major character
-a tragic death is  dominant factor for the characters actions
-family crisis
-all end on sort of a bummer

3.> add to the lump?....cant think of anything right now......

great thread by the way....keep it going man... :yabbse-thumbup:

atticus jones

another fine reply...

if you can add a film or two to the lump and justify the additions i would gladly tack on some extra credit for the extra effort...

jones

SHAFTR

The Ice Storm
some of Woody's films...such as Crimes and Misdemeanors.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

atticus jones

indeed...i shall rewatch bits of those tonight/this morning as they are part of my 2,826 dvd collection...i am aj...king of beepers

justifications for your inclusion are what interest me most...ideas?

SHAFTR

Quote from: atticus jones

justifications for your inclusion are what interest me most...ideas?

downbeat domestic dramas which include ensemble casts.

atticus jones

oh...k

i suppose i'm curious as to what keeps a downbeat drama frum getting a beat down by viewers...using these films or others as positive/negative examples...

itb downbeat but no beat down imo bc of subtle/brilliant performances, haunting score, possibility of seeing marisa naked...

as an xxxample

SHAFTR

Quote from: atticus jonesoh...k

i suppose i'm curious as to what keeps a downbeat drama frum getting a beat down by viewers...using these films or others as positive/negative examples...

itb downbeat but no beat down imo bc of subtle/brilliant performances, haunting score, possibility of seeing marisa naked...

as an xxxample

not only subtle performances, but subtle direction.  This is why Eastwood's films work so well.  I guess one could add Mystic River to the list.

atticus jones

yes...yes

maybe redford as well...a river runs through it?

sum say too slo...but i want to reexamine the devices used to kick the downbeat tone out of no flo zone...

and into buzz worthy prone

Ghostboy

I'd throw We Don't Live Here Anymore into the mix; it's based on the short stories of Andre Dubus, who also, as noted, crafted the basis of In The Bedroom, and whose son wrote House Of Sand And Fog.

I think the common factor of most of these movies have been succinctly expressed; consider also that, for the most part, their titles are completely interchangeable and would remain descriptive of the content of the films.

I think In The Bedroom is the best of those films initially listed, although I stilly have problems with the ending (and yet I love the same Shakespearean trick when it was used in Mystic River - odd).

SHAFTR

Quote from: GhostboyI'd throw We Don't Live Here Anymore into the mix; it's based on the short stories of Andre Dubus, who also, as noted, crafted the basis of In The Bedroom, and whose son wrote House Of Sand And Fog.

We Don't Live Here Anymore is a very good film.  I thought I was the only one here who liked it.  I'm a fan of anything Ruffalo or Watts.

atticus jones

floating along nicely ghost...

love the wdlha addition and the dubus sr/jr link...

do any of you feel films in this genre need a device/gimmick/trick as mentioned to lift them out of their serious/realistic/possibly boring trappings?

any films in the realistic fiction genre come to mind that fall flat due to script inadequacies?

still want to view dr btw...a dress will be sewn soon

hedwig

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: GhostboyI'd throw We Don't Live Here Anymore into the mix; it's based on the short stories of Andre Dubus, who also, as noted, crafted the basis of In The Bedroom, and whose son wrote House Of Sand And Fog.

We Don't Live Here Anymore is a very good film.  I thought I was the only one here who liked it.

i liked it. mainly for the acting.