Nominate - 2016 Xixax Awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 19, 2016, 11:09:16 AM

Reel

so Chi-Raq was good, eh? I was looking forward to it, thinking it was a documentary about the gun violence there. When I found out it was a straight narrative I lost interest, haven't seen a Spike flick in years.. I guess it's on Amazon Prime

matt35mm

It was definitely divisive, so I can't tell if you if will think it's good. But I responded to its boldness, and nobody directs like Spike Lee. I loved the language (it's based on a Greek play, and it's mixing that tradition with rap tradition, so people speak in rhymed verse). I thought it was very funny. It completely embraces the idea that you can point to something true via bombastic ridiculousness--some people have just gotten hung up on the ridiculousness, but I was with it.

I wouldn't say that "straight narrative" is a good description. It has the quality of a musical comedy/tragedy (it aggressively bounces back and forth between the two). I think it's daringly experimental.

Worth the watch if you have Amazon Prime, for sure.

Reel

Cool. This is why these awards are so important, especially in the midst of all this oscar hubbub going on... It's good for all of us with these shared sensibilities to gage 'what was actually worth seeing last year?' 'Bridge Of Spies' is a film I would've totally overlooked as boring trash if Wilder didn't nominate it so much...Then again, our tastes ARE much different. I like having the opportunity to push something that I think "This deserves an Oscar" knowing that it never will win or would in a million years!

jenkins

props to jb for putting the awards together. again! while others let their interests sway, jb stays rooted to the cause of xixax from a practical and forward-moving perspective. so thanks for keeping the awards and xixax together jb. per the laws of art, right when i look at this it has meaning for me too.

and sometimes directly, for example (more) thanks jb, for the Jude Swanberg reality from last year. keeping the eye on the future here at Xixax. i'd push for Tangerine and Sean Baker but first of all i know -- i'm guessing -- this movie is in fact "clouded" by topics such as its iphones and transactors, because i really think it's a beautiful movie right there on its own as a movie. but i won't push for it because there i'd be in the corner.

i'd like to push for Most Disappointing TV in the future, which'll help me decide what not to watch when i take adventures into tv land, and i wanna only hear some sass. i'll have no idea who would win but i can't wait to hear about it.

getting to politics, Carol is my film i'll click every time i see it. tastes are congealing around this movie, it's this year's Inside Llewyn Davis at Xixax to me, and i agree with all nominations. any nomination for Carol in any category is what i'll most likely click, when i guess. based on last year's list, for Redux, IV should drop the mic but it is that some people dropped IV. GBH instead? mystery.

Reel

for solidarity's sake, I was totally going to suggest Tangerine for Cinematography but when I google imaged it didn't see anything worthy of that nomination. By all means, it should be pushed. Idk how, but it should!

jenkins

lol. i was thinking of push as like "get serious." i think the awards are good fun. Tangerine xx

polkablues

Quote from: matt35mm on February 26, 2016, 01:04:02 PM
It was definitely divisive, so I can't tell if you if will think it's good. But I responded to its boldness, and nobody directs like Spike Lee. I loved the language (it's based on a Greek play, and it's mixing that tradition with rap tradition, so people speak in rhymed verse). I thought it was very funny. It completely embraces the idea that you can point to something true via bombastic ridiculousness--some people have just gotten hung up on the ridiculousness, but I was with it.

I wouldn't say that "straight narrative" is a good description. It has the quality of a musical comedy/tragedy (it aggressively bounces back and forth between the two). I think it's daringly experimental.

Worth the watch if you have Amazon Prime, for sure.

This description makes it sound like Bamboozled, which I think is under the radar one of Spike Lee's best films, so I'm intrigued now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

samsong

best film and best director
mad max: fury road - george miller
the duke of burgundy - alex strickland
carol - todd haynes
the lobster - yorgos lanthimos
phoenix - christian petzold
+ michael mann for directing the shit out of blackhat

best male performance
michael fassbender in steve jobs
tom hanks in bridge of spies

best female performance
nina hoss in phoenix
rooney mara in carol
cate blanchett in carol
sidse babett knudsen in the duke of burgundy

best supporting male performance
sylvester stallone in creed
mark rylance in bridge of spies
michael stuhlbarg in steve jobs
walton goggins in the hateful eight

best supporting female performance
kate winslet in steve jobs
jada pinkett smith in magic mike xxl
rachel weisz in the lobster

best cinematography
roger deakins - sicario
ed lachman - carol
thimios bakatakis - the lobster

coolest guy
stu rutherford in what we do in the shadows

wilder

jenkins

^ so good.

i forgot to mention Bruce Wagner's Maps to the Stars for Best Screenplay, i don't think i'm alone on that, and together with Cronenberg this is a movie helping keep Hollyweird, so i'm mentioning

OstrichRidingCowboy

Best Film - The Hateful Eight, Mad Max: Fury Road, Magic Mike XXL, The Revenant
Best Director - The Hateful Eight, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, The Revenant
Best Female Performance - Phyllis Smith - Inside Out, Jennifer Jason Leigh - The Hateful Eight, Charlize Theron - Mad Max: Fury Road, Jennifer Lawrence - Mockingjay, part 2, Rose Byrne - Spy
Best Male Performance - Mark Rylance - Bridge of Spies, Samuel L. Jackson - The Hateful Eight, Tom Hardy - Mad Max: Fury Road, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy - The Revenant
Best Supporting Female Performance - Laura Linney - Mr Holmes, Miranda Hart - Spy, Isabella Rossellini - Joy
Best Supporting Male Performance - Bruce Dern, Walton Goggins, Channing Tatum - The Hateful Eight, Domhnall Gleeson - The Force Awakens
Best Screenplay - Bridge of Spies, The Hateful Eight, Mad Max: Fury Road, Magic Mike XXL
Best Cinematography - The Hateful Eight, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Revenant
Best Original Music - Ant-man, The Hateful Eight, Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Debut Film - Pitch Perfect 2
Most Disappointing Film - Tomorrowland
Best Film of 2014 - Redux - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best One-Hour TV Show - Better Call Saul, Call the Midwife, Fargo, Hannibal
Best Half-Hour TV Show - Drunk History, Gravity Falls, Veep
Best TV Performance - Jean Smart, Kirsten Dunst, Patrick Wilson - Fargo, Richard Armitage - Hannibal, Julia Louis Dreyfus - Veep
Best TV Episode - "Pimento" - Better Call Saul, "Loplop" - Fargo, "Not What He Seems", "A Tale of Two Stans" - Gravity Falls, "...and the Beast from the Sea" - Hannibal
Since dreams are to align, not to change nor
to grow, whatever are the really for?

Fernando

Best Film
EX MACHINA
INSIDE OUT
SICARIO
MAD MAX FURY ROAD
CAROL
DUKE OF BURGUNDY

Best Director
EX MACHINA
SICARIO
MAD MAX FURY ROAD
CAROL
DUKE OF BURGUNDY

Best Female Performance
NINA HOSS - PHOENIX
Rooney Mara - Carol
Cate Blanchett - Carol
Sidse Babett Knudsen - The duke of burgundy
ALICIA VIKANDER – EX MACHINA

Best Male Performance
BENICIO DEL TORO – SICARIO
LEONARDO DICAPRIO - REVENANT
CHRISTIAN BALE – THE BIG SHORT

Best Screenplay
EX MACHINA
INSIDE OUT
MAD MAX FURY ROAD
CAROL
DUKE OF BURGUNDY

Best Cinematography
REVENANT
SICARIO
MAD MAX FURY ROAD
CAROL
DUKE OF BURGUNDY

Best Original Music
EX MACHINA
INSIDE OUT
DUKE OF BURGUNDY

Best Debut Film
EX MACHINA

Best Documentary
GOING CLEAR
THE JINX

Best One-Hour TV Show
THE KNICK
GAME OF THRONES
HANNIBAL
THE LEFTOVERS
BETTER CALL SAUL

Best Half-Hour TV Show
LAST WEEK TONIGHT

Best TV Performance
Kristen Ritter - JESSICA JONES
Mads Mikkelsen - HANNIBAL
Justin theroux - LEFTOVERS
Clive Owen - THE KNICK
Elisabeth Moss – MAD MEN

Best TV Episode
GAME OF THRONES - HARDHOME
LEFTOVERS – INTERNATIONAL ASSASIN.
BETTER CALL SAUL – FIVE-O.
HANNIBAL – ANTIPASTO
The milk and the honey route – MAD MEN

Jeremy Blackman

Thanks for all the nominations! It looks like we could use more guidance in these categories:

Best Debut Film
Best Documentary
Best Trailer
Best Film Poster

Best TV Performance
Best TV Episode