Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

jenkins

was making myself aware of what's going on at criterion: this joan rivers show is a special feature on the paris is burning release

wilder

Quote from: CriterionBefore he became known as the king of the subversive, lavishly overwrought 1950s melodrama, German émigré director Douglas Sirk made his mark in Hollywood with a string of historical dramas, film noirs, comedies, and musicals. Displaying his sophistication, cutting intelligence, and visual flair, these unsung 1940s works—the sparkling caper A SCANDAL IN PARIS, the offbeat show-business satire SLIGHTLY FRENCH, and the perversely fascinating noirs LURED and SHOCKPROOF—paint a fuller picture of one of the studio era's most intriguing and endlessly analyzed auteurs.

putneyswipe

I've been subscribed for about a year and this is the best selection I've seen yet, so much good stuff on the Channel right now:

Maren Ade's first two films
Jia Zhangke's The World & Unknown Pleasures
Paul Schrader's Comfort of Strangers
Louis Malle Documentaries
Columbia Noir
4 from Jafar Panahi

etc.

jenkins

Comfort of Strangers i've been meaning to go back to and i. did. not. expect. the. criterion. release! you know, i was too young when i first watched it, i think, and the dvd transfer might be bad too, maybe

Unknown Pleasure is an all-timer for me, and  i heavily referenced Jafar Panahi's The Mirror in my first book, it's a true favorite

putneyswipe

I watched it last night for the first time, loved it. The transfer is glorious

jenkins

i bet a younger me didn't understand the tone, didn't register the tone. i think i used to need movies to like explain themselves to me. i watched this a long time ago, bought it in a wal-mart dvd bin, still own that dvd

jenkins

i personally need to watch these trailers to know what these movies are and maybe you do too

jenkins

i knew i had to get Show Boat and i've already watched it twice

for the thrill of satisfying past impulses i bought Wanda

then because i wanted the internet to figure something out, well, through this list and this list i decided to purchase Chantal Akerman in the Seventies

and later i'm going to buy Taste of Cherry

what i hear through personal certainty is the sale will end before the release of The Complete Films of Agnès Varda

putneyswipe

I got True Stories. Been going through it and I think it's one of the best packages they've ever put out

jenkins

i'd bought Taste of Cherry as i said i would. then today, on the last day of the sale, i did what i often do, which is took care of some library titles i've overlooked, still not, for various reasons, having simply elected to join the criterion channel

so there i was, without a single blu-ray for either Bergman or Mizoguchi, and that seemed like something i needed to deal with. Wild Strawberries was my top Bergman choice, absolutely. Mizoguchi, on the other hand, presented a challenge. how the hell was i sitting around without Ugetsu? then, which is better, Ugetsu or Sansho the Bailiff? i couldn't remember and felt panicked. on top of which, A Story from Chikamatsu was the most recent release, and The Life of Oharu was sitting around too. but i ended up purchasing The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum, on account of their Ugestu blu-ray being moderately damaged (it's a cardboard case), Sansho only there as a dvd, and because, i suppose, of alphabetical arrangement and where my eyes landed

while in the store i forgot i had been considering Renoir's The River as well. next time

Sleepless

50% flash sale going on today at criterion.com. Site is crawling though.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilberfan

Awesome.  Grab me a copy of BOOGIE NIGHTS. 

Oh, wait. THAT'S NOT ON CRITERION YET!! 

WorldForgot

You can set bars + tone or white balance your roll of film with Broadcast News' booklet.

wilberfan

jenkins

that video makes me feel embarrassed for the people who made it