The Age Old Question: What is the best camera?

Started by Raikus, January 29, 2003, 12:53:20 PM

Raikus

I'm looking to get a Mini DV cam (around $2,000 range) for shorts and a possible feature. I've done a lot of research, but nothing accounts for experience and I was hoping some on this board would have experience with the following:

Canon GL2 -- basically the staple for Mini DV cam.
Sony DCR-TRV950 -- Can't seem to find any flaws in this camera. It's my leading contender at this point. Does anyone have any cons on it?
JVC GR-DV3000U -- The lowest priced of the group. A poor man's substitute but with features that nearly match the Sony and Canon cameras. Am I missing something here?
Sony DCR-VX2000 - Looks like a great camera, but is it better than the DCR-TRV950 model?
Sony DCR-TRV50 - Looks more for consumer use than anything else. I've been researching it due to a recommendation.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

xerxes

i'm not a big fan of the cannons, if you're willing to spend a bit more you might check out the JVC GY-DV500U

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/features.jsp?tree=&searchModel=&model_id=MDL100101

Jeremy Blackman

Dunno what the features are for each model, but one way to filter you're choices is to make sure the camera has 3 CCD and A/V in. A lot of the Sony cameras are cutting those features, so be careful...

Raikus

Out of the 5 only the JVC GR-DV3000U and Sony DCR-TRV50 have 1 CCD.

I guess what I'm really trying to determine is if I should get a Canon GL2 (play it safe) or a Sony DCR-TRV905 or VX2000. I know that the Canon is proven, but haven't heard much of the Sonys when it comes to feature shoots.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Satcho9

I saved up for a while and bought myself an XL-1s. It was worth every penny. Very nice.

aclockworkjj

I would make sure to get a 3ccd chip camera....much better picture quality.  I know the GL2 and Vx2000 or # chip, but not sure about the other one.

The major difference I have noticed between the Sony and Canon Cameras...

Canon's picture tends to be a little more on the warm side...versus Sony tends to be a little cool.  Depending on what you are looking for, it's a prefence issue.  As far as the special features go...who cares, you can apply most of them in post production anyways...so I wouldn't buy a camera based on how many cheesy digital effects they have....

aclockworkjj

ReelHotGames

Here are my thoughts, I have used the GL2 and the VX2000, the biggest difference between these two is Sony's AMAZING ability to shoot in low light situations, which makes them much more sensative when lighting a scene.

Other than that these two are very similiar so see where you get a better price and go with it.

Any one tried the new Panasonic 24P yet?
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Ghostboy

Yeah, Sony's low light capabilities are nice. As far as the Sony prosumer cams go, I like the PD150 just because of the onboard XLR jacks. I'd say the 3CCDs should be your highest point of consideration, since they will most directly affect the image quality. I'm an XL-1 fan, myself.

I don't get the point of that Panasonic 24p camera (or the upcoming consumer HD camera). What's the point of making a camera with 24p or HD capabilities and then only giving it one chip? One of the great mysteries.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: GhostboyYeah, Sony's low light capabilities are nice. As far as the Sony prosumer cams go, I like the PD150 just because of the onboard XLR jacks. I'd say the 3CCDs should be your highest point of consideration, since they will most directly affect the image quality. I'm an XL-1 fan, myself.

I don't get the point of that Panasonic 24p camera (or the upcoming consumer HD camera). What's the point of making a camera with 24p or HD capabilities and then only giving it one chip? One of the great mysteries.

Just means of making money till they can eventually produce 2160p24 efficiently.....

Redlum

I have the Xm2 and its a great camera. But Im sure the price will be the swing that sways you. Great control on the XM2 though, white balance, a really useful ND filter but you know the specs.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas