Preacher (AMC)

Started by 03, March 25, 2015, 11:49:17 AM

AMC's Preacher has cast another co-lead. British actor Joseph Gilgun (This Is England) has joined the drama pilot based on Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's cult 1990s comic. The project, from Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg, Sony TV and AMC Studios, is about Jesse Custer, a conflicted Preacher in a small Texas town who merges with a creature that has escaped from heaven and develops the ability to make anyone do anything he says. Along with his ex-girlfriend, Tulip (Ruth Negga) and an Irish vampire named Cassidy (Gilgun), the three embark on a journey to literally find God.

Jesse's sidekick Cassidy is described as the most wild-ass, bestest "bro" you'd ever want to meet. He may be 100 years dead but no one's more boisterously alive than Proinsias Cassidy. An incorrigible mischief-maker, Cassidy's up for anything — joyriding, bungee-jumping, bank robbing, peyote dropping. He's also a relentless conversationalist with opinions on everything from religion to politics to pop culture to theories on why people are better able to tolerate the odor of their own flatulence.

In addition to Negga, Gilgun joins Ian Colletti who was cast as Eugene Root, aka Arseface.

Dominic Cooper has been in conversations for the lead, Jesse.

no one saw this?!?!?!?

polkablues

Just watched the pilot last night. Tons of promise, great cast, nails the tone. Looking forward to the rest.
My house, my rules, my coffee

i haven't rewatched a pilot this many times since breaking bad.
this show is basically banshee meets fargo.

i read this comic since the beginning, so i am super biased, but also super judgemental.
and i have no complaints.

the pilot literally floored me. this show has insane amounts of power, intelligence and promise behind it.
anyone that isnt watching this needs to check themselves before they figuratively wreck themselves.

spoiler talk will begin once polka and i aren't the only people in this.

this show's intention is confusing.
they are deviating a lot from the original story, to the point that this is more of an 'interpretation' than 'adaptation'.

i always try to take into account that i love the source material whenever i watch shows or movies based off of stuff, it definitely changes the way you see it.
but i think i can say pretty unbiased that this episode was a trainwreck.

they're making very obvious references to valid things in the book, but they hang open ended and make no sense to the new audience.
not even alluding to things, just a complete imbalance of loyalty to the book.

spoilers
the church dismemberment was amazing (despite being a direct ripoff of forklift driver klaus)but everything else was just lackluster, especially compared to the first episode. i guess rogen and goldberg are writing all brand new dialogue, and it's clunky and fumbling and in this episode pretty much garbage, jesse and cassidy's church conversation being the most obvious example. and as i mentioned above, the wavering of the source material is confusing. they introduce characters without any explanation, and just leave things hanging. and jesse cannot speak to animals or anyone who cannot understand him. it's through speech, not telepathy. commit to one or the other, jesus.

polkablues

I'm at least two episodes behind at this point. I like the show, but I'm probably just going to end up binging it after the season is finished.
My house, my rules, my coffee

it's getting progressively worse.
the comic laid out a pretty simple yet genius premise (a preacher gets empowered by the son of a demon and an angel and teams up with a vampire and his ex girlfriend to go on a mission to find god, who has left heaven because he's afraid of the preachers power) and the writers of this show seem to going in a complete opposite direction from the actual story.

i'd usually encourage people to make it their own when it comes to adaptation, but this is pretty ridiculous.
making two impenetrable characters go back and forth with their vulnerability (being incredibly violent and immortal and then begging someone for mercy) not only veers hideously from the book, but also makes no sense, writing wise. i couldn't make it all the way through the last episode. edit: finsihed it twice, this is like a show for 15 year olds that like boondock saints. absolute garbage, complete deviation from what could have been wonderful.