The Trip (tristram shandy redux?)

Started by pete, November 24, 2010, 11:06:25 AM

pete

a discussion of James Bond impressions, which leads to a very funny Liam Neeson reference:

this is a dream come true.  they took the funniest parts of Tristram Shandy - the banter between Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, and turned it into a tv show/ travelogue, with minimum amount of plot and other things.  Most of the time it's them, reasonably pretty women, gorgeous food, and heated debates over impressions.  Directed by Michael Winterbottom, it's a six-part BBC miniseries.

Michael Caine and Anthony Hopkins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OknH4ILMu8g&feature=related
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cronopio 2

i read a bullshit journalist complaining about how ricky gervais ruined the comedy genre forever since extras, because ever since, comedians have to play comedians in their alter egos and talking to agents and showing that they're friends with ben still but that is such horseshit, i've only seen two episodes of this show and man, pete nailed it, my favorite scene of a cock and bull story is the ending credits when steve and rob are battling for the best pacino impressions. this show is that, plus beautiful macro shots of food i'll never eat and wine i'll never drink. watch it if you're into the idea of taste as a universal thing that has nothing to do with money.

pete

I wanna read that bullshit article - because, didn't larry david and jerry seinfeld do that way before extras?
also: taste is not universal, that's why it's called taste.

also:
ALAN PARTRIDGE'S NEW WEB MINISERIES, Mid Morning Matters!
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

Off topic but it ties in to this thread somewhat:

For those familiar with Ricky Gervais' podcasts you'll know who Karl Pilkington is. He now he has his own TV show - a fish out of water travel show in which he is sent to visit the 7 wonders of the world and the countries they are in. Gervais describes it as the "most expensive practical joke ever." So far I've seen 3 eps, the first - in China - is best so far and is here:
http://vimeo.com/15610836
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

Finally watched the first episode of The Trip. Great stuff. I'm happy that Winterbottom gave the girl from 9 Songs another job.
My house, my rules, my coffee

cronopio 2

i dunno about taste not being universal.  the smell of shit and the smell of flowers come to mind.

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

cronopio 2

Pubrick

It's an expression used when something (usually tedious) is about to repeat itself.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Quote from: Sleepless on November 27, 2010, 07:50:11 AM
Off topic but it ties in to this thread somewhat:

For those familiar with Ricky Gervais' podcasts you'll know who Karl Pilkington is. He now he has his own TV show - a fish out of water travel show in which he is sent to visit the 7 wonders of the world and the countries they are in. Gervais describes it as the "most expensive practical joke ever." So far I've seen 3 eps, the first - in China - is best so far and is here:
http://vimeo.com/15610836

Weirdly I loved the podcasts and the XFM radio shows, but have no desire whatsoever to watch that series. I guess I liked Karl when his character wasn't as fleshed out as it is now. Since the last couple podcasts seasons, you can see him coming a mile away.

PS: If a DVD of all these The Trip episode is released please let the board know, the stuff on youtube is genius.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: polkablues on November 27, 2010, 11:34:14 AM
Finally watched the first episode of The Trip. Great stuff. I'm happy that Winterbottom gave the girl from 9 Songs another job.

Does anyone know where to find this online? I've checked Demonoid and Eztv, but still no luck. If this has already aired I'm really surprised it's not all over the nets.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

polkablues

Quote from: cinemanarkissed on November 28, 2010, 09:25:46 PM
Quote from: polkablues on November 27, 2010, 11:34:14 AM

Does anyone know where to find this online? I've checked Demonoid and Eztv, but still no luck. If this has already aired I'm really surprised it's not all over the nets.

I found the first four episodes on isohunt.

pete

karl pilkington's his own thing - but this thread will not get hijacked by other non-steve coogan/rob brydon/ winterbottom comics or personalities.  get that shit outta here.
- Buster Keaton

for petes sake

Just caught this show.  The bickering and impressions are great of course but the dramatic elements are what really got me.  Surprisingly understated and real -- Steve Coogan plays a convince Bob Harris.  Some good soul has uploaded all the episodes to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXZm0JFzbL0&feature=related

polkablues

Has anyone watched both the six-part miniseries and the cut-down feature-length version?  Does it still hold up in the shorter version?  I watched the six episodes and never once thought, "You know what this needs?  Less of this."