Great Expectations

Started by Victor, March 31, 2003, 02:27:33 PM

Victor

I might be alone here, but i really like this movie. alfonso cuaron did it, and its really stylish and beautiful. all the actors are good, especially chris cooper and ethan hawke (who i admit, i have a weak spot for). ive never read the book, but i want to now. i could go on about that five minute steadicam shot for hours.

my one problem is the third act SPOILERS, it seems like Cuaron had such a boner over having DeNiro in the movie that he just let him do what he wanted and had no balls to cut it down in the editing room, it runs too long and takes us away from whats truly pressing at the moment.

but other than that, its very good. and gwen paltrow gets nekkid too.
are you gonna eat with us too?

SubstanceD

Martin Scosese co-directed it so says IMDB
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

MacGuffin

Quote from: LesterI might be alone here

You're not.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Duck Sauce

I liked the use of the greens

dufresne

Quote from: Duck SauceI liked the use of the greens

hehe...me too.
There are shadows in life, baby.

VoiceOver

It can't hold a candle to the David Lean version I think.

sexterossa

i love this movie. it's kind of surreal and i think that gives it a little magic. i like that is a love story where the two central characters don't necessarily fall in love with each other.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

modage

i loved this movie too.  my two cents.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Finn

I just bought the dvd of this movie. I thought it was terrific all the way around. It has a lot of style and some really strong performances with interesting characters.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Stefen

I guess I liked this movie too.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

my favorite guy David Garza had a song "slave" for the soundtrack.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton