NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Drenk

It's strange to discover Demon's Souls last (the first in the « franchise ») with cutting edgy graphics. The game is very frustrating; for instance, they hadn't figured out that checkpoints are good, some enemy placement is awkward, you often find yourself with no health items. But you also find the origins of the next games and it was immediately great at using verticality and interconnected spaces.

...and I just love the « bad design », the insane, sometimes impossible to figure out elements of the game, that make you feel like everything is possible. That also makes the online elements really useful: the little messages you can put on the ground for other players.

But yeah. Don't start with Demon's Souls!   :shock:
Ascension.

Drenk

That video manages to make the Cyberpunk footage mesmerizing, and it also conveys how broken that game is.

I watched all of it.  :doh:

But ten minutes is enough.

https://youtu.be/omyoJ7onNrg
Ascension.

Drenk

Ascension.

Drenk

I loved Crash 4. (I'm not a big fan of the original trilogy; they're somewhat fun but kind of broken.) The devs reacting to the speedrun is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/Cne3YD6i7yY
Ascension.

WorldForgot

Do any of the board's gamers ever get to thinking about DRM?
Am I overly anxious about this?

Essentially, for the last 13 years ish, most of my gaming money goes toward Steam purchases. DRM comes with the service, obviously, I need to be able to Log In to verify my library. Lately I've been thinking about the implication of so much splintering in distribution. Myriad Streaming Platforms in film/tv, streaming music thru apple/tidal/spotify, and video games bound to BattleNet, Steam, EpicGames for the most part.

Yesterday a rumor started to spread that Sony iz looking to shutdown the stores for PS3 + PS Vita. Yeah, I've been buying physical PS3 games, cuz I don't always want to have to log in, and the PS3 makes a good Blu Ray player. So suddenly I'm thinking like, Is buying Physical game discs a worthwhile hobby? It definitely seems *practical.* Plenty of PS1 games go for $100 bux ish so that's outta the question, those Digital variants have got to be sought out before the PSN PS3 store vanishes.

Anyone else ever feel like the copious log-ins might constrict what's available?

Drenk

When I bought Portal 2 and discovered Steam I immediately thought it was incredibly shitty, especially because I owned a damn CD of the game. My main worry is that next consoles will be fully digital...
Ascension.

WorldForgot

Oh right, I have PS3 Portal 2 disc back in Texas. That actually requires you make a log-in to steam to get into the Main Menu, right? They say it's for the co-op, but really it's more DRM type thing?

Jeremy Blackman

Separate from my continuing Overwatch adventures, I've been gaming twice a week with my cousin and some of his friends. We dove deep into The Forest (beat the game and more importantly built many ziplines), then Valheim (max level gear, all bosses down, many structures built), and now Risk of Rain 2. All very good games. The first two require a certain type of appetite for punishment, but RoR2 is more conventional solid fun thusfar.

WorldForgot

Oh, dang Risk of Rain isn't the sort of game I thought it was, looks-like. Had figured it for more of a Rust type game, kinda like Valheim, but Roguelikes definitely more my bag.

Jeremy Blackman

I don't know how I feel about it yet. There is a lot of emphasis on skill mastery, which I like, but imo the late game relies too much on "avoid ground effects" gameplay.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 02, 2020, 01:27:41 PM
I started playing Satisfactory over Memorial Day weekend. And oh boy. This is absolutely one of the greatest games I've ever played. The developer sums it up very well: "Play alone or with friends, explore an alien planet, create multi-story factories, and enter conveyor belt heaven!"

If the phrase "conveyor belt heaven" does not intrigue you, turn away now.

The new Satisfactory update is glorious. I would describe it as The Verticality Update. It has three game-changing new features:

1. Drones
2. Hover pack
3. Ziplines

The drone system really cracks the world open even more dramatically than trains already do. It changes everything: incentivizes making small factories (in whatever weird location your heart desires) which feed each other in necessarily complex ways.

I made a battery factory producing 200 batteries per minute, which any drone site can fetch batteries from. This has basically set me up to have unlimited drones. (Each drone consumes about 1-2 batteries per minute.) Good times.

They also revamped the nuclear system, which thankfully I hadn't gotten into yet. I won't actually need nuclear power anytime soon (a turbofuel power system is incredibly powerful and scalable), but I'm going to start on it anyway since it seems like an interesting challenge. (Drones help a lot with this, for example — build on the water and fly in uranium ore.)

WorldForgot

WorldForgot

Overwatch went cross-platform which has made the game much more accessible to me, since my main complaint was how many rage-quits I'd experience on competitive. Now that I'm grouping up with four friends across PS4 + PC on quick play, the auto-fill makes it a smooth experience where even if the other two dip in frustration we know the majority of the team will always be Actually Playing and not just solo-ing as Ana/Widow or Sombra.

Valve has announced a new portable console, the Steam Deck that's essentially a luxury gaming laptop in the shape of a handheld. Powerful specs. I'm curious how it won't heat up to sear palms. An evolved Switch without Nintendo's stubborn exclusivity issues.