2007 Golden Globes

Started by Chest Rockwell, December 14, 2006, 07:46:11 AM

A Matter Of Chance

i guess they meant it literally

hedwig

DREAMGIRLS?!?!?!?!?!?!?

whatever man. at least cohen won for best actor.. that speech was hilarious. i can't believe he spent the whole time talking about his co-star's anus! and i'm glad eddie murphy won something, anything.

"thank you to every american who hasn't sued me so far."

©brad

does anyone take this show seriously? even the director of the show was drunk. how many establishing shots of the crowd did we see people standing up to piss, grabbing another drink, mindlessly chatting w/ one another, even as presenters were up on stage in the middle of an announcement! and that part when ugly betty (does anyone even watch that show?) just won the award and stands by what-ever-her-hot-name-is off stage, then walked offscreen and back onscreen - SO painful. and arnold on crutches? meryl's speech was the only thing mildly noteworthy.

such a weird year for movies.

JG

i only watched some of it, but wasn't warren beaty's segment the LONGEST THING ever?  i thought it was so awkward.  And WTF at Babel, was that expected!?

hedwig

no, beatty's speech was pretty good. and babel wasn't as unexpected as dreamgirls.

Quote from: ©brad on January 15, 2007, 10:04:51 PM
and that part when ugly betty (does anyone even watch that show?) just won the award and stands by what-ever-her-hot-name-is off stage, then walked offscreen and back onscreen - SO painful.
haha yeah, she had no idea what to do.

modage

Best Motion Picture - Drama
Winner: Babel

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Winner: Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Winner: Helen Mirren for The Queen

Best Television Series - Drama
Winner: "Grey's Anatomy"

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Winner: Dreamgirls

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Winner: Sacha Baron Cohen for Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Best Director - Motion Picture
Winner: Martin Scorsese for The Departed

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Winner: America Ferrera for "Ugly Betty"

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Winner: The Painted Veil - Alexandre Desplat

Best Foreign Language Film
Winner: Letters from Iwo Jima

Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Winner: "Ugly Betty"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Winner: Alec Baldwin for "30 Rock"

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
Winner: The Queen - Peter Morgan

Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Helen Mirren for Elizabeth I

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Bill Nighy for Gideon's Daughter

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Winner: Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls

Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Elizabeth I

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Winner: Meryl Streep for The Devil Wears Prada

Best Animated Film
Winner: Cars

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama
Winner: Hugh Laurie for "House M.D."

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Emily Blunt for Gideon's Daughter

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama
Winner: Kyra Sedgwick for "The Closer"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Jeremy Irons for Elizabeth I

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Winner: Happy Feet ("The Song of the Heart")

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Winner: Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls

so it looks like Dreamgirls, The Queen and Ugly Betty were the big winners.  ugh!  :doh:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Bethie

who knew borat was hot. i'll say yeow

who likes movies anyway

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Kal

man i usually like these things even when they are bad... but this one was terrible!

the only highlights for me where:

- marty winning director over clint with 2-nominations
- sasha baron cohen
- meryl streep
- eddie murphy
- alec baldwin was cool too

anyways, one thing that pissed me off was right off the start when everyone was assuming leo di caprio would win... i think they automatically jinxed him... also there were about 10-12 of the 40 minutes of the warren beaty tribute that were fun...

Pubrick

they weren't so terrible, i love awards shows cos they're so inherently hilarious.. you can always guarrantee an embarrassing moment, an awkward moment, a WTF moment, a good surprising moment, a bad surprising., and so much more! here now are my awards for this year's golden globe awards:

good surprises
emily blunt, didn't know she existed, pleased to hav made her acquaintance. will rent My Summer of Love.
gillian anderson, surprisingly still alive and hot.

bad surprise / i haven't seen it but it's probably terrible.
ughhhhhhly betty. i'm latino AND i love my "mami" too, but everyone involved with this show was embarrassing. from deuglified-betty america ferrera not knowing what to do, to the stupid clip from the show to.. does vanessa williams have anything to do with it? cos when she appeared out of nowhere it was like a foretelling of the show's relevance now and in the future.

what the hell are you doing here / stupidest pair
vanessa williams and tim allen (off the wagon?)

smartest pair
james woods and geena davis

dumb broad
cameron diaz "internal affairs"

someone needs to call an ambulance
jeremy irons.

biggest douche bag
zach braff

british moments
fluff on hugh laurie's head
bill nighy "big up"

awkward moments
alec baldwin mockingly applauding arnie when he came out, bad timing on the director's part and bad performance from "the great" baldwin.
arnie "we'll be back", deserving of mocking applause.

please stop saying balls
tom hanks

useless impromptu request command to "stand up"
charlie sheen to emilio estevez

good request to stand up but rendered useless by drunk director not cutting away in time
alec baldwin to tina fey

will probly feature as cut-aways in my dreams tonite
renee no eyes zellwegger
tom got chin hanks

great speech
peter morgan, writer of the queen and The Last King of Scotland too according to my friend forest whitaker.

anti-climactic speech
warren beatty

doesn't know what Ishtar means
eva longoria

HA!
michael bolton with a desperate broad
no one clapped for the american films in the foreign category

making up for Brokeback by awarding a gay producer
dreamgirls

talks like his movies are structured
alejandro gonzalez iñarritu

and finally..

most bizarre distorted look-alikes
terrence howard ----> a fat cuba gooding jr
america ferrera ----> a very fat eva longoria
stephen frears ----> rodney dangerfield.

thanks that was fun, i look forward to the oscars roundup, and i already called it for cohen before i'd seen the movie.
under the paving stones.

Kal

pubrick that was funny

how come you are latin??? had no idea.

the worst thing about ugly bettys success i believe its that they will start looking for more ugly shows to bring from latin america... and believe me they are terrible... ugly betty at least was original, but damn...

when i saw stephen frears i also thought of rodney dangerfield...

i hate rene zellwegger and her stupid face

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrick on January 16, 2007, 09:21:08 AM
bad surprise / i haven't seen it but it's probably terrible.
ughhhhhhly betty. i'm latino AND i love my "mami" too, but everyone involved with this show was embarrassing. from deuglified-betty america ferrera not knowing what to do, to the stupid clip from the show to..

The mexican version is beyond stupid, it's stupid and boring, they think funny is when ppl bump into things and do funny faces, just like that idiot clip they showed.

Quote from: Pubrick on January 16, 2007, 09:21:08 AM
most bizarre distorted look-alikes
america ferrera ----> a very fat eva longoria mendes

Fixed.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on January 16, 2007, 09:21:08 AMgreat speech
peter morgan, writer of the queen and The Last King of Scotland too according to my friend forest whitaker.

They should have cut those pointless sideline interviews with Maria Menudo and used that time for people's speeches.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

I had to watch the stupid show on stupid wb network on cable with a fucking "translator" to spanish who was on there at the same volume level that the original audio and kept saying stupid, pointless comments even when no one was talking, so i didnt understand a lot of what people were saying.

things i liked:
baron cohen winning and his speech, hilarious. the stupid translator, unable to translate this, just said: "he's making jokes in his movie's fashion".

marty winning. he just can't stop being the film geek and i love him for that. the moment he stars talking about anything he inevitably ends up mentioning films by name and director, it doesn't matter if he's chatting on a cafe somewhere or if he's winning an award. he's truly an odd character, specially when you compare his mannerisms with clint's or beatty's solture and coolness at talking in public. he's awesome.

the lack of applause for the american foreign language movies, which for me is the least they could do. i haven't seen letters from iwo jima or apocalypto, but it seems to me that they tried to compensate giving the best picture award to a mexican directed movie by giving the foreign langua award to an american directed talked in japanese movie.

iñarritu's first line at accepting the award, completely fucking up arnie's evident attempt to make a clever political move, presenting that specific award to that specific movie. granted, iñarritu's speech became almost corny by the end.

baldwin's sarcasm when arnie entered. i dont know what people has against this. what did you wanted? the guy is a known arnie hater and you wanted him to be shown applauding him straight?

i didnt like eddie murphy winning, cause he seems to be kind of an asshole.

withaker surprised me. for a moment it seemed like he was on some sort of ghost dog trance or something.

everything else was pretty boring.

Pozer

bravo!
to pubrick's roundup.  cannot wait for his oscar one.

good call
to mac's suggestion.