Tdog

Shall we do a recap?????

Known Cast:
Cooper Hoffmann
Alana Haim
Bradley Cooper
Bennie Saffdie

Rumoured Cast:
Sean Penn (his stunt double is listed on IMDB)

Possible Cast:
John C Reilly (at least visited the set)

DOP:
The Phantom Thread Boys

Costume:
Mark Bridges

Anything else worth noting?

Alethia

Quote from: nomorecoffee on December 08, 2020, 03:00:40 PM
I think I never saw a 10 days break without posts on this sub since it was born.. what is going on peeps??? aren't you excited for the next work of the greatest working filmmaker?

Some are simply burnt out on having witnessed from afar so much of its making.

Also, Sean Penn is definitely in it.

nomorecoffee

Quote from: WorldForgot on December 08, 2020, 03:35:52 PM
Sub

marine?

ahah that's funny. cmonn man....  give me a break! I'm just an average reddit user

nomorecoffee

Quote from: nomorecoffee on December 08, 2020, 05:23:35 PM
Quote from: WorldForgot on December 08, 2020, 03:35:52 PM
Sub

marine?

ahah that's funny. cmonn man....  give me a break! I'm just an average reddit user tryin to get through life

Drill

It's weird that the trades couldn't find out more about this. Most of the information they reported really originated from here. Obviously they wanted to be low-key during filming, but no confirmation of Penn even after being photographed on the set? No confirmation that filming had wrapped. No press release at all from MGM.

wilberfan

Quote from: eward on December 08, 2020, 04:23:01 PM
Some are simply burnt out on having witnessed from afar so much of its making.

And don't want to risk getting another serious case of stink-eye and/or scolding from Elizabeth.

csage97

Quote from: Drill on December 08, 2020, 05:34:07 PM
It's weird that the trades couldn't find out more about this. Most of the information they reported really originated from here. Obviously they wanted to be low-key during filming, but no confirmation of Penn even after being photographed on the set? No confirmation that filming had wrapped. No press release at all from MGM.

I'm sure MGM will do a press release when they feel like it. The press will get more info when the project is further along. For now, they know as much as (or less than) we do. I get the feeling that PTA et al. want to keep public info low-key until pandemic restrictions loosen up. Which is another way of saying that there will be tons of time to edit it. I think it'll be a Spring 2021 release or beyond ... which is a lot of time for editing, post-production, etc.

Excited for this one. PTA's last two contradicted my expectations in unique ways, and I really appreciate them for that .... I'm most excited for this one because of the setting. PTA returns to the 70s, but (probably) in fuller effect than in IV (which was '69 or '70, so maybe not entirely 70s). And probably in fuller effect than Boogie Nights (which spans into the 80s).

I don't know if there's a term for having nostalgia for a time when you weren't even alive (there probably is), but I have that for the 70s. The 70s were a Goldilocks zone of tape recordings, vinyl, big music studios, large-format consoles, so on. Literally a blip in history that has come and gone. Not to mention the wood-paneled stations wagons, radio, cigarettes, and all the colours (burnt oranges, harvest golds, etc.) that I associate with the music and culture of that time.

My point is to say that I appreciate movies that cover this period because it was such a brief period -- especially for LA culture and music -- and it's also kind of a touchstone for PTA. Not sure if we'll get more movies that'll "authentically" show us this period. In a way, movies set in that time that have direct experience with that time become artifacts of the time. And I think PTA will be one of the last directors to be able to document the 70s ....

Anyway, this is also an incredibly intriguing movie because of the leads themselves (how will they do?). It's really the first time that a PTA movie has been without an "elite" actor in the lead since ... I guess Magnolia? Kind of? I mean, Cooper Hoffman and Alana Haim don't really have the clout of DDL, Joaquin, Phillip S. Hoffman, and Adam Sandler, so it'll be interesting to see how they do for that reason alone.

nomorecoffee

ok so I was looking at test footage form a super 8 camera that I intend to buy and I randomly stepped into this:

the video is completely unknown, 43 views..... but it's really cool it shows most of the location where Soggy Bottom was shot at the time of shooting, and is also obviously shot in super 8 so it will give you that nostalgic look that probably the movie will have. also features tasty can's vitamin C.

in preparation for pta's next,
enjoy it !

wilberfan

Quote from: nomorecoffee on December 13, 2020, 05:21:15 PM
...but it's really cool it shows most of the location where Soggy Bottom was shot at the time of shooting...

In the interest of accuracy, only the footage from about 1:46 thru 2:08 is an actual SB location.  They didn't film at any of the other places seen in that video.  Maybe I misread that comment, tho.

But, yes, the 8mm does provide a lovely retro/nostalgic feel.

wilberfan

I'll wager Jon Peters' life/career could support an entire film in itself.  The more I hear about the guy, the more fun I think it will be to see Bradley's cameo in Soggy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/pamela-anderson-movie-mogul-jon-peters-call-it-quits-1275580

kingfan011

Quote from: wilberfan on December 21, 2020, 11:20:53 AM
I'll wager Jon Peters' life/career could support an entire film in itself.  The more I hear about the guy, the more fun I think it will be to see Bradley's cameo in Soggy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/pamela-anderson-movie-mogul-jon-peters-call-it-quits-1275580

Wilberfan try reading the book Hit And Run at some point which is about Peters and Gruber when they were heads of Sony I believe. Completely lunatic people and would make a fascinating film.

wilberfan

Cool.  When I'm done with "Made Men: Making of Goodfellas" I'll snag one--my local library owns two copies...

Find Your Magali

Quote from: csage97 on December 11, 2020, 12:12:18 AM

I'm sure MGM will do a press release when they feel like it. The press will get more info when the project is further along. For now, they know as much as (or less than) we do. I get the feeling that PTA et al. want to keep public info low-key until pandemic restrictions loosen up. Which is another way of saying that there will be tons of time to edit it. I think it'll be a Spring 2021 release or beyond ... which is a lot of time for editing, post-production, etc.

I don't think it sees the theaters before October, which is also roughly when I see theaters starting to really ramp up again (hopefully with some incremental momentum in July-August-September)

wilberfan

Hmmm, indeed.   This could affect everything--or nothing--for Soggy Bottom.  It could get sold-off to streaming for quick cash, or held onto and nurtured--depending on what the exhibition world is like next year.