Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drill

I think Wilberfan said this definitely spans more than 24 hours.

Drenk

Yeah. Or they change clothes fifteen times a day, but what else are you gonna do with a soggy bottom?
Ascension.

nomorecoffee

little bet on the running time? 90% over 2 hrs right?

edit: is this also his longest shoot after Magnolia? (probably because of covid but still)

Heisenberg

I get the idea this is going to be short like PDL.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Heisenberg on November 22, 2020, 08:04:35 PM
Where'd you get that idea?
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

nomorecoffee

honestly this sounds like an ensemble piece after a long time, it would not surprise me to see a two and a half/three hour long film

pynchonikon

With a principal photography of 3 months, I don't see that having a duration of less than 120 min unless they decide to throw lots of stuff in the editing room. IV and PT's shootings lasted about the same and they were 140 min and 125 min respectively without the end credits (PT originally being even longer before cutting a couple of subplots).

Concerning the "ensemble" nature of the film, my assumption is that the early reports were a bit misleading and this will be less a Magnolia-type of ensemble and more of a IV-type of ensemble, with little Hoffman and Alana being the leads and everyone else surrounding them by making brief appearances (Safdie possibly playing a more considerable role than the rest).

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Drenk on November 22, 2020, 11:38:54 AM
Quote from: Tdog on November 22, 2020, 11:23:34 AM
Quote from: Drenk on November 22, 2020, 11:17:28 AM
You can imagine that the New Year scene in Phantom Thread wouldn't have been filmed during COVID season.

What's interesting about PTA's style though and in especially in relation to that scene, is that he also shot daydreamed/imagined footage of Alma/Reynolds slow dancing in the aftermath of the news years party; so maybe there'll be more of that in the new one, maybe emptyness/isolation will work for the characters in places.

But does that scene work without us having seen the crowd beforehand? Ultimately, I don't think COVID has a big impact of his aesthetic. I can imagine a student in fifty years saying this at a party or inside a bunker: "You know, Inherent Vice was shot during the pandemic of the early century, that's why most of the shots are close-up and the exteriors are limited."

But isn't that an aspect of ALL criticism? Part of film analysis is looking at the film in the context of when it was made and what was going on in the world.

Tdog

Quote from: pynchonikon on November 23, 2020, 02:13:04 AM
Concerning the "ensemble" nature of the film, my assumption is that the early reports were a bit misleading and this will be less a Magnolia-type of ensemble and more of a IV-type of ensemble, with little Hoffman and Alana being the leads and everyone else surrounding them by making brief appearances (Safdie possibly playing a more considerable role than the rest).

OR Is it a Boogie Nights style ensemble with Little Hoff in the Dirk Diggler role and supporting cast of characters that hang around with medium sized roles?

mickeywolfman

Quote from: Tdog on November 22, 2020, 11:23:34 AM
Quote from: Drenk on November 22, 2020, 11:17:28 AM
You can imagine that the New Year scene in Phantom Thread wouldn't have been filmed during COVID season.

What's interesting about PTA's style though and in especially in relation to that scene, is that he also shot daydreamed/imagined footage of Alma/Reynolds slow dancing in the aftermath of the news years party; so maybe there'll be more of that in the new one, maybe emptyness/isolation will work for the characters in places.
Just for the record want to clear this up, the scene of Alma + Reynolds dancing was not imagined or scripted, rather improvised last minute when their shoot day for that sequence was shutting down. Source: cinematography/lighting crew Q/A

Heisenberg

Quote from: Rooty Poots on November 22, 2020, 09:32:38 PM
Quote from: Heisenberg on November 22, 2020, 08:04:35 PM
Where'd you get that idea?

It just seems like something short and sweet that takes place over a couple of days. Although maybe I'm wrong and it's actually a 2 1/2 hour ensemble piece. I would imagine more info will start trickling out now that it's in post.

nomorecoffee

you guys have a good feeling for this? are you more or less hyped than for Phantom Thread?

Robyn

I didn't get hyped for Phantom Thread until I saw the trailer, so I have to wait and see.

I'm excited for this era of PTA, though. I feel like he leveled out with Inherent Vice and Phantom Thread... less artsy, less to prove. Just consistently great films.

PinkTeeth

Im excite, always am.
But Im feeling more excited at the idea that this will be the first "Covid-Era" auteur-piece, and I'm excited to see an example of what can be pulled off in our new world.

I'm sure other things have come out, or are coming out that I'm not hip to yet, but I can't think of any at the moment.
New Name, Same Typos.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: nomorecoffee on November 24, 2020, 05:47:49 PM
you guys have a good feeling for this? are you more or less hyped than for Phantom Thread?

I'm equally hyped. Phantom Thread's subject matter seemed right up my alley, but I felt slightly burned by Inherent Vice, so I was a mixture of excitement and cautious optimism. This one sounds less tailor-made to my interests, but at the same time, my optimism isn't tempered from being let down by his last picture this time (and the subject matter still sounds pretty interesting).

Also, I've turned around on Inherent Vice since then and now like it. I still think I'd prefer it if it were either a miniseries or a 4-hour movie, though, so we could sit with the characters long enough to be able to keep them straight and follow the myriad branching subplots.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco