Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Nolan62

This movie is going to be insane.

Drenk

Nobody thinks that the kid Coop is fighting is the young actor? The man in the truck looks like Philip Seymour Hoffman. The seventies aren't his time yet.
Ascension.

Tdog

Kinda hope Cooper's character is in this a lot now and it's not another Martin Shortt situation.

pynchonikon

So will this be the first time in PTA's career that a real person will play noteworthy part of the story and will also be referred to by name? Or he will continue his streak of using real persons more as inspiration, like John Holmes for BN and L. Ron Hubbard for the Master, rather than faithful impersonations? Even if the resemblance is admittedly too strong to be just an influence, I tend to assume the latter, if nothing else to avoid controversy and all that.

ThereWillBeOreos

Quote from: Drenk on August 25, 2020, 06:18:21 AM
Nobody thinks that the kid Coop is fighting is the young actor? The man in the truck looks like Philip Seymour Hoffman. The seventies aren't his time yet.

I think it's just a coincidence? They might just be cameos

jviness02

Quote from: pynchonikon on August 25, 2020, 10:41:21 AM
So will this be the first time in PTA's career that a real person will play noteworthy part of the story and will also be referred to by name? Or he will continue his streak of using real persons more as inspiration, like John Holmes for BN and L. Ron Hubbard for the Master, rather than faithful impersonations? Even if the resemblance is admittedly too strong to be just an influence, I tend to assume the latter, if nothing else to avoid controversy and all that.

I bet it's a fictional character inspired by real folks again.

mickeywolfman

Quote from: Alma on August 25, 2020, 04:34:20 AM
I remember when the casting description rumours circulated, someone suggested (think it was on here but it might have been somewhere else) that the cutthroat female agent sounded like Sue Mengers, and she was Streisand's agent. I would be surprised if Alana was playing Streisand though, she's not styled like her at all in the picture.

Perhaps Este Haim could play Streisand? They seem to share a closer resemblance/age?

Tdog

From IMDB:
With partner Peter Guber, was head of Sony Pictures. The pair were the subject of the book "Hit and Run: How Jon Peters and Peter Guber Took Sony for a Ride in Hollywood" by Nancy Griffin and Kim Masters. The book suggests that despite Jon Peters' success as a producer, he is prone to violence and is barely able to read.

Got his break into producing while working as a hair stylist for Barbra Streisand, whom he dated from 1973 to 1982.

He's not the basis for Beatty's character in Shampoo is he?

itwasgood

New on set pic from today's shoot.

*Edit: Turns out it's from Aug 23, before the costumes & makeup's on. Sorry for the confusion!

kingfan011

Gosh I really hope everyone stays healthy and the shoot makes it through COVID. This movie looks crazy and I want to see the Cooper gas station fight scene.

Alethia

Quote from: Tdog on August 25, 2020, 02:15:35 PM

I think that was Jay Sebring.

Drill

Quote from: mickeywolfman on August 25, 2020, 02:05:20 PM
I remember when the casting description rumours circulated, someone suggested (think it was on here but it might have been somewhere else) that the cutthroat female agent sounded like Sue Mengers, and she was Streisand's agent. I would be surprised if Alana was playing Streisand though, she's not styled like her at all in the picture.

Perhaps Este Haim could play Streisand? They seem to share a closer resemblance/age?

Isn't she six foot tall?

Tdog

Quote from: Drill on August 25, 2020, 03:20:33 PM

Isn't she six foot tall?

Streisand or Haim. This isn't bassHaim who is the tall one.

jviness02

Quote from: eward on August 25, 2020, 03:15:19 PM

I think you're both right. I think Beatty mentioned both of them as influences.

Drill

Quote from: Tdog on August 25, 2020, 03:23:53 PM
Quote from: Drill on August 25, 2020, 03:20:33 PM

Isn't she six foot tall?

Streisand or Haim. This isn't bassHaim who is the tall one.

I know. I was responding to the Este suggestion.

Quote from: jviness02 on August 25, 2020, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: eward on August 25, 2020, 03:15:19 PM

I think you're both right. I think Beatty mentioned both of them as influences.

Gene Shacove was the primary influence for Shampoo. There may have been a little of Sebring and Peters there, but Shacove was the main subject.