Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

kingfan011

While its not like Thread blew the box office up it did get a ton of Oscar nominations for Focus. Interesting that they decided to let Focus have it.

Yes

MGM is bad. Hmm

But idk. It’s probably a really small niche film (duh). Focus still couldn’t bring it into production so I guess De Luca wanted instead

EDIT: Hollywood Reporter said it was budgetary concerns since they couldn’t be in production by summer.

wilberfan

Based on the photo with that article, I'm just hoping he has a beard during production on this one. 

Drill

I'm sure he wants a bigger budget.

Drenk

Is that the first hint at interconnected storylines? It would be interesting if he had wanted to do a mature version of Magnolia. This is probably the most basic reaction, but there's nothing much to say.  :yabbse-grin:

Weird Thought I Keep Getting: I hope this will be what I hoped Boyhood would be.
Ascension.

jviness02

Quote from: wilder on July 17, 2020, 06:19:20 PM
Mike DeLuca went to run MGM earlier this year...

While I don't believe this is a coincidence, I am already laughing at certain folks on Twitter that prefer 90s PTA thinking De Luca's involvement is some sign that  this new project is going to be In the same vein as Boogie Nights and Magnolia. That ship has sailed. He's evolved as an artist.

wilberfan

The Hollywood Reporter:

Focus landed the project in December 2019 with the hopes of shooting it in spring or summer 2020. The coronavirus pandemic has caused a ceasing of almost all productions, to the consternation of filmmakers and executives.

However, sources say the move isn't stemming from Focus' lack of desire to shoot but rather a budgetary issue, according to one source.

Focus was set to distribute domestically while Universal Pictures International was to handle global rollout.

Plot details are being kept secret but it involves multiple storylines surrounding one centering around a kid actor attending high school in the San Fernando Valley. The latter is the setting of some of Anderson's most memorable films, including Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and Punch Drunk Love.

No cast has been set for the feature.

jviness02

Quote from: wilberfan on July 17, 2020, 09:37:45 PM
The Hollywood Reporter:

Focus landed the project in December 2019 with the hopes of shooting it in spring or summer 2020. The coronavirus pandemic has caused a ceasing of almost all productions, to the consternation of filmmakers and executives.

However, sources say the move isn't stemming from Focus' lack of desire to shoot but rather a budgetary issue, according to one source.

Focus was set to distribute domestically while Universal Pictures International was to handle global rollout.

Plot details are being kept secret but it involves multiple storylines surrounding one centering around a kid actor attending high school in the San Fernando Valley. The latter is the setting of some of Anderson's most memorable films, including Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and Punch Drunk Love.

No cast has been set for the feature.

If it really is multiple stories and a true ensemble, I hope we get a mixture of new and familiar faces.

Robyn

I had a dream the other night that julianne moore was in the new pta film, so I can confirm that he'll be bringing some of the old ones back

Tdog

Quote from: Robyn on July 18, 2020, 03:34:52 AM
I had a dream the other night that julianne moore was in the new pta film, so I can confirm that he'll be bringing some of the old ones back

He'll put Melora Walters in there somewhere.

Also he owes Jesse Plemmons a bigger role according to PTA himself!

Robyn

yes, please! I'd be so excited if he brought them all back.

Alma

pynchonikon

MGM is fine with me, my guess is that Focus wanted a budget decrease considering the production costs in these tough times and he refused.

Quote from: Alma on July 18, 2020, 07:49:56 AM
Dunno about the veracity of this but...

https://twitter.com/jasonosia/status/1284466600150786053

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Drill

Phil Baker Hall as the director! It'd be great to see him shine one last time.

wilberfan

That would be awesome--but the last time I saw him on camera he looked very old.