Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drill

Of any potential films to go ahead soon, one with presumably many teen/child extras filming in a high school could prove particularly problematic/difficult.

Pringle

Quote from: Drill on June 11, 2020, 11:12:30 AM
Of any potential films to go ahead soon, one with presumably many teen/child extras filming in a high school could prove particularly problematic/difficult.

Good point. This would also limit potential artistic approaches, wouldn't it? With all of the rules and regulations and processes that will need to be followed and accounted for, I wonder if PTA will have to switch up his normally  more freewheeling approach.

ThereWillBeOreos

Hm. I think it's also important to mind that the movie might be more about the industry than the child actor being in high school (which is still probably going to be a big subplot)

We must remember that we never know what's truly in store for a PTA movie... they always turn out different then we think...

pynchonikon

Twitter scoop (so don't hold your breath), the project is currently deep into the casting process, eyeing a late August start of shooting.

wilberfan

ThereWillBeOreos

Yeah, the way America is going right now... saying there going to start filming late august is blind optimism.

Drill

Is this person reliable?

They haven't even announced any cast members yet. I highly doubt they're ready to start any time soon.

kingfan011

Ya I mean I want to hear some news as much as the next guy but August seems a bit suspect to me

jviness02

Do we know whatever happened to Pinocchio? Hearing about Del Torro's version for Netflix today made me wonder if we ever got confirmation why PTA left that project aside from the obvious(he would have surely cooked up something too esoteric for kids).

WorldForgot

Quote from: jviness02 on June 26, 2020, 05:53:35 PM
(he would have surely cooked up something too esoteric for kids).

Anima + his music videoz are a neat compass to what PTA could conjure up in harmonious PG termz.

Drenk

He was just helping Downey Jr with the screenplay and probably  getting more money than what he got for his last movies.
Ascension.

wilberfan

For the benefit of linkless posterity:

EXCLUSIVE: We hear that Paul Thomas Anderson's new 1970s San Fernando Valley movie is jumping from Focus Features to MGM. Neither studio would confirm, but we know that it's a deal that's going down according to sources, and that the production is leaving the Universal specialty label which made his Oscar-winning, near $48M WW global grossing period feature Phantom Thread. CAA Media Finance represents the film.

The movie did not go into production prior to the shutdown of feature productions during the COVID-19 pandemic. It's unclear at this time whether Anderson was on a timeline, and needed to get this movie done and filming, or if the production was too costly for Focus. Phantom Thread was made for an estimated $35M.

Focus Features originally was set to distribute the movie domestically with Universal handling foreign distribution. Focus released Anderson's 1950s London fashion designer movie Phantom Thread which racked up six Oscar noms including Best Picture, Director, Best Actor Daniel Day-Lewis, and took home a win for Mark Bridges' costumes.

Reportedly Anderson's new movie will center around a high school student who is also a successful child actor, but have intersecting storylines. It's the fourth time that Anderson has set a film in the San Fernando Valley, the last titles being Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love.  The filmmaker's Ghoulardi Film Company have already received a $2.5M California film tax credit. Longtime collaborators JoAnne Sellar and Daniel Lupi are producing Anderson's latest.

Anderson is repped by CAA and Jackoway Austen Tyerman Wertheimer Mandelbaum Morris Bernstein Trattner & Klein.

And what do we make of this news...?   We love to read deeply between the lines around here...

wilder

wilberfan

So very likely NOT a coincidence.  The Boogie Nights Boys, together again.