Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

pynchonikon

Quote from: jenkins on January 05, 2020, 10:08:04 AM
again because it's a high school movie i really think the attention is being focused in the wrong direction and production wasn't delayed for tom hanks

What are your assumptions, man? I think we all agreed that the "high school & student/actor" description is quite open to different interpretations. And I don't really get why he would't cast A-listers for adult roles in order not to overshadow the younger ones. Literally anyone could get a role in this.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on January 05, 2020, 11:12:37 AM
Literally anyone could get a role in this.

Crossing my fingers for a John Waters cameo, then.

pynchonikon

What I'm very sure of, though, is that there won't be any casting choices just for the sake of the collaboration ("oh I wanted to work with him/her so why don't simply put him/her to be just present in this scene"). That was one of my concerns before seeing Inherent Vice , and it turned out that all of the supposedly big names in the supporting roles had at least one BIG scene (Wilson in the one-shot whispering discussion in the party, Del Toro in the restaurant scene, Witherspoon in the one-shot bench scene and so on).

jenkins

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on January 05, 2020, 11:12:37 AM
again because it's a high school movie i really think the attention is being focused in the wrong direction and production wasn't delayed for tom hanks

What are your assumptions, man? I think we all agreed that the "high school & student/actor" description is quite open to different interpretations. And I don't really get why he would't cast A-listers for adult roles in order not to overshadow the younger ones. Literally anyone could get a role in this.

that the production wasn't delayed for tom hanks, it was mentioned

pynchonikon

Quote from: jenkins on January 05, 2020, 02:23:03 PM
that the production wasn't delayed for tom hanks, it was mentioned

I'm sorry, I meant what's your own guess for the possible reason(s) behind the delay, if you have any thoughts of your own, that's all.

jenkins

well we're not on the outside looking in here, we're simply on the outside and the inside is an imagined place we've invented based on our familiarity with details related to the life and work of pta. there are so many moving components within a production that i can't imagine the entire operation shifting for the availability of a non-titular character. there's too much going on for me to know what's going on, but i can know when i hear pta fans becoming excited about big guesses made from small data. though everybody knows that every now and then the crazy guess becomes right the entire time i mean it happens too i'll give you that, and everybody should ride on high odds when they want to imo

Lewton

production wasn't delayed for tom hanks

"I don't wait for old people, I don't wait for old people, whahah. Hah! Hah!"

jenkins

yet, perhaps the delayed schedule might bring tom hanks into the movie

y'all and tom hanks

Lempwick

Chalamet's doing a James Mangold Bob Dylan biopic after his West End play, and Pitt confirmed he's doing Babylon.  Bale's doing Thor 4.  DiCaprio confirmed the March-ish start for Flower Moon.  Downey Jr. seems entangled in Sherlock 3.  Gosling or bust.  Or get Tom Cruise. 

kingfan011

Wow Timothy getting Bob Dylan. That's a big get.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: kingfan011 on January 06, 2020, 05:43:45 PM

At minimum you know he's gonna nail the hair.

pynchonikon

James Mangold seems pretty busy these days doesn't he?
No matter what they both publicly say about being cool with each other, I seriously doubt that a second Cruise-PTA colab will ever happen.
I don't think there is any reason to worry, though. The obscure production timeline of the project still leaves a widely open field for casting suggestions.
Furthermore, I think I read that Joaquin has completed the shooting of the Mike Mills movie. Just sayin'.
I get the bad feeling we won't hear any big news till February or even March, but I'm praying to be wrong about that.

Alethia

That particular Dylan era has been covered to death, the move from folk to electric. Loads more interesting, under-explored territories to investigate across his near 60 year career. *Yawn*

kingfan011

Quote from: eward on January 06, 2020, 06:45:29 PM

That particular Dylan era has been covered to death, the move from folk to electric. Loads more interesting, under-explored territories to investigate across his near 60 year career. *Yawn*

Oh I agree not that excited about this even though I really like James Magnold I'm just saying I'm sure his agents feel like they got him an a guaranteed Oscar role.

Lempwick

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on January 06, 2020, 06:24:19 PM
James Mangold seems pretty busy these days doesn't he?
No matter what they both publicly say about being cool with each other, I seriously doubt that a second Cruise-PTA colab will ever happen.
I don't think there is any reason to worry, though. The obscure production timeline of the project still leaves a widely open field for casting suggestions.
Furthermore, I think I read that Joaquin has completed the shooting of the Mike Mills movie. Just sayin'.
I get the bad feeling we won't hear any big news till February or even March, but I'm praying to be wrong about that.

Word is Joaquin's doing a Thomas Vinterberg movie next, with Mads Mikkelsen and Matthias Schoenaerts playing his brothers, so I think he's out on this project too.