Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Something Spanish

Quote from: trytotell on December 18, 2019, 12:18:22 PM
Goodbye 2020 though, I guess.

Goodbye to 2020, hello to 2021. Make sure you snort it back quick and hard...
It's the drip, the drip's the best part.

Fuzzy Dunlop

This is happy news, I thought they did a great job with the Phantom Thread rollout and awards campaign, for sure the best since CMBB.

Drenk

Cannes 2021. Here we go.
Ascension.

Drill

Depending on the tone, they should try a spring/summer 2021 release date for this. That strategy has really worked well for some like Wes. Something different than the usual October/December releases.

jenkins

well it's maybe a different kind of movie so that's possible probably. the end of the year is oscar season is why that's been going on. not to say that his new movie won't be oscar worthy, just that it might not be such an explicitly oscar movie

pynchonikon

On the one hand, I 'm a bit sad as 2021 feels too far already (though next year we'll be occupied with info concerning the cast, the plot, the staff etc). On the other hand, I always thought that a late 2020 release wouldn't be the best idea with all the awards-potentials and the blockbusters that are expected to dominate in the box-office. Also, spring/summer period of shooting just seems perfect for the high-school concept, and a 2021 spring/summer wide release also feels great (December of 2021 is dead zone cause of Avatar), I could see this premiering in Berlin or Cannes to get some buzz, i guess it depends on how award-worthy it will turn out to be.

Alethia

If they're still hiring when I get to LA I am so trying to get on this movie. Daniel Lupi worked with many of my Joker friends on West Side Story, can try to milk that.

pynchonikon

There are whispers here and there (nothing certain or confirmed) that the small filming delay happened in order to accommodate to some schedules. We'll wait and see.

trytotell

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on December 19, 2019, 03:26:43 AM
There are whispers here and there (nothing certain or confirmed) that the small filming delay happened in order to accommodate to some schedules. We'll wait and see.

Casting wise? Then it must be some very big names. Otherwise, I can't see him waiting.

Drenk

BRAD PITT. (I'll make it true, by the power of my mind.)
Ascension.

polkablues

Brad Pitt playing a high school student with The Irishman de-aging.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Rooty Poots

Quote from: trytotell on December 19, 2019, 11:00:25 AM
Casting wise? Then it must be some very big names. Otherwise, I can't see him waiting.

I could see him waiting for Jonny.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

pynchonikon

Brad going into the first read-through of the script, right after Oscars' party, with a coffee on his right hand and the little golden man on the left one, just making jokes about it and staff. Wouldn't that be awesome?

But seriously, Focus' announcement seemed pretty enthusiastic to me, so I 'm wondering how much they really believe in this project as a potential awards contender (or even a fine box office performer, depending on the nature of the film), and how much they are willing to spend on this. Will it be his usual standard of 25-35 millions budget (without counting the additional marketing costs), or more? Could a cast of A-listers help the whole thing in that way (like in OUATIH)?

jenkins

honestly, i think they really believe in it, based on how they expressed that

WorldForgot

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on December 19, 2019, 01:09:05 PM
Could a cast of A-listers help the whole thing in that way (like in OUATIH)?

I know that PTA has it in him to make another Boogie Nights-lvl bop, but it doesn't seem like he's been interested in OUATIH/Tarantino type of mainstream engagement for a while.

His most star-studded cast, Inherent Vice, has been his most dense.