Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drill

If we're talking casting possibilities, then I can see Jennifer Jason Leigh playing a role in this. They've known each other a long time, he said circa The Master he wanted to work with her, SFV high school makes one think of Fast Times, etc. All this Marriage Story stuff has made me think of her.

putneyswipe

Sure it's been mentioned but thematically this seems to jive heavy with all these Haim music videos? We all know "the Master" doesn't do anything without a purpose...

Since I heard the news I've had Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'" stuck in my head. The lyrics seem to have some thematic resonance:

"She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis
Loves horses and her boyfriend too
It's a long day, livin' in Reseda
There's a freeway, runnin' through the yard

All the vampires, walkin' through the valley
Move west down Ventura Boulevard
And all the bad boys are standing in the shadows
And the good girls are home with broken hearts"

I'm really digging the idea of a female-centered high school film expanding off the PTA-valleyverse.

pynchonikon

I'm having a strong feeling, too, that the HAIM will have a role in this, one way or another. The possibility of a Rock n Roll High School-type of subplot, with them instead of Ramones, sounds a hell of a fun to me. Not that I'm comparing the two bands, but you get the idea.

jenkins

there's no reason to think it won't happen, that Haim won't somehow be a part of the movie, but i also don't think there's a reason to think it will happen. it just might

Drenk

Come on. They have no charisma. And probably can't act. They'll get a cameo but that's it.
Ascension.

pynchonikon

Well Joanna Newsom is not a legend or sth either, yet i belong to the supporters of her involvement in IV, and I don't see why Paul wouldn't want to try sth similar. As for the soundtrack, will Jonny surely be available? But again who knows, these are just speculations.

Find Your Magali

I hereby decree that it's time for some casting news or rumors!

kingfan011

I'm going to guess there will be nothing til January as Hollywood essentially shuts down the last 2 weeks of Christmas. Still we can hop.

Alethia

wilberfan

trytotell

Can we get the first casting announcements this week as a Christmas present?  :yabbse-grin:

kingfan011

Quote from: trytotell on December 16, 2019, 11:22:02 AM
Can we get the first casting announcements this week as a Christmas present?  :yabbse-grin:

That would be the best Christmas present.

jviness02

Focus Features is releasing this and it starts shooting this summer.

trytotell

Well, some news! Always seemed likely he would go with Focus again. Goodbye 2020 though, I guess.

wilberfan

QuoteAnderson will produce the new project with his longtime collaborators JoAnne Sellar and Daniel Lupi. Focus Features will distribute the film in North America, while its parent company Universal Pictures will handle its international rollout.

Quote"There is simply no other filmmaker like Paul Thomas Anderson," Focus Features chairman Peter Kujawski said in a statement. "He is a true original who consistently mesmerizes fans with unparalleled vision and storytelling.  We are beyond thrilled to be teaming up once again with Paul, JoAnne and Daniel."

This gives me an opportunity to ask about financing, etc:  Who's paying the production costs, etc?  How does that all work?  What does "teaming up" imply about whose money is being spent?