Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Find Your Magali on November 13, 2019, 03:32:33 PM

Still, this makes me wonder if this high school movie might be more about television than feature films. I mean, the child actor character is said to be "successful." Doing a lot of commercials could be considered "successful." Television shows, too.

In other words, it's not clear what the industrial context is going to be. Is the template going to be closer to like... Jodie Foster's career after Taxi Driver or maybe someone like Barry Williams in The Brady Bunch?

God, I hope it's about a child TV actor instead of a child film actor. For one, a child TV actor will be dealing with fame on a completely different level than a movie actor, having appeared on their peers' television sets week after week. Also, most importantly (for me anyway), I love PTA's take on bad acting, multicam shots, studio audiences, etc. I adore that shit.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Drenk

Ascension.

Find Your Magali

If he sets it in the very early 1970s, it could work as a companion piece to Inherent Vice. Maybe even doing that movie gave PTA some ideas that he couldn't quite work into an adaptation of someone else's work. Plus the idea of the days of independent local TV were still in swing then. Maybe a Ghoulardi type moves from Ohio to Los Angeles and his kid becomes a TV actor. So it could be half-autobiographical and half stuff that PTA grooves on writing about.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: trytotell on November 14, 2019, 09:21:50 AM
I don't think Joaquin will be in this. He's doing that Mike Mills movie. Plus, he's campaigning for Joker.

The idea of Joaquin turning down a PTA movie so he can do an Oscar campaign is goofy as fuck.

Tdog

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on November 14, 2019, 12:39:44 PM
I don't think Joaquin will be in this. He's doing that Mike Mills movie. Plus, he's campaigning for Joker.

The idea of Joaquin turning down a PTA movie so he can do an Oscar campaign is goofy as fuck.

Yeah, he's filming the Mike Mills thing now supposedly, but then I can't imagine him Oscar campaigning VS working again with PTA. GOOFBALLS!

Find Your Magali

Need a Philip Baker Hall scene or cameo.

And Melora Walters and Don Cheadle as teachers.

wilberfan

Maybe a photo of a young PSH in the trophy case near the gym...

Robyn

I rewatched PDL recently and laughed at everything Luis Guzmán did.

Please bring some of them back.

Alethia

Quote from: Robyn on November 14, 2019, 01:57:48 PM

"Chair broke!" is my favorite bit.

Robyn

Quote from: eward on November 14, 2019, 02:17:57 PM
Quote from: Robyn on November 14, 2019, 01:57:48 PM

"Chair broke!" is my favorite bit.

The look on his face when Lena is asking Barry out is my personal favorite

trytotell

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on November 14, 2019, 12:39:44 PM

That's not what I meant obviously. He's got a lot going on. I doubt he'll be in this.

jenkins

given the immensity of joauquin's showcased character frustrations it seems difficult imagining him in an ensemble piece, related to high school characters no less. i don't think the um older people can outshine the students you know

Drill

Nah, no Phoenix please.

Pringle

The movie is centered around a high school kid and the first Xixax casting suggestions are Mark Rylance, Philip Baker Hall, and a dead-for-five-years Philip Seymour Hoffman.

WorldForgot

Young peeps who could inhabit a PTA HS flick:

Amandla Stenberg (she's also a great musician, a sensibility i think PTA is tuned into, and like she's due for a role that demands more than CBS Films-lvl sentiment)
Ashton Sanders
Caleb McLaughlin
Elsie Fisher (No brainer, I think her performance under PTA's direction would feel more authentic than most her contemporaries)
Elle Fanning
Griffin Gluck
Isabella Merced (née Moner) (probably the best bit of Sicario 2? definitely the best performance in Instant Family)
Sasha Pieterse (you're not Dr Rudy... -- have her play someone's older sibling or a college townie)