Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

pynchonikon

Love Brad, and that would make perfect sense. If Leo can't (or doesn't want to) do it, then who would be a better choice than his own stuntman? :)

pynchonikon

Considering that the Haynes' movie with Ruffalo was announced literally the last moment last September and yet managed to complete the film and get a release by the end of this year, I would still hope for any news but honestly I'm not holding by breath either.

Also, after watching OUATIH, i realise how much the star status of its cast helped the movie to actually become a commercial hit, and how it would have quite possibly bombed under different circumstances (lots of people are complaining about not liking the film, but went to see it nevertheless). Can't but thinking what the fate of Inherent Vice would be if RDJ took the leading role instead of Joaquin (who nailed it, dont get me wrong). It will remain one of the big "what if" scenarios in PTA's filmography.

jviness02

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on August 27, 2019, 01:35:00 AM
Considering that the Haynes' movie with Ruffalo was announced literally the last moment last September and yet managed to complete the film and get a release by the end of this year, I would still hope for any news but honestly I'm not holding by breath either.

Also, after watching OUATIH, i realise how much the star status of its cast helped the movie to actually become a commercial hit, and how it would have quite possibly bombed under different circumstances (lots of people are complaining about not liking the film, but went to see it nevertheless). Can't but thinking what the fate of Inherent Vice would be if RDJ took the leading role instead of Joaquin (who nailed it, dont get me wrong). It will remain one of the big "what if" scenarios in PTA's filmography.

I think that's mostly just Leo. Pitt has had his share of Box Office disappointments in the last decade(Allied, The Counselor, Killing Them Softly etc), whereas DiCaprio pretty much always delivers strong B.O. numbers. How else can you explain The Revenant making that kind of money?

For the most part, the traditional movie star has kind of died with the IP Franchise stuff taking over. Leo is one of the few exceptions.

As far as IV goes, would RDJ be that big of a draw outside of the MCU? Plus, IV got notoriously awful word of mouth. I don't see that being a hit in any scenario. It would have still been just as "confusing" and "meandering" to the general public with RDJ as Doc, but maybe it could have gotten some extra cash before word of mouth took over.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: jviness02 on August 27, 2019, 11:37:03 PM

I think that's mostly just Leo. Pitt has had his share of Box Office disappointments in the last decade(Allied, The Counselor, Killing Them Softly etc), whereas DiCaprio pretty much always delivers strong B.O. numbers. How else can you explain The Revenant making that kind of money?

For the most part, the traditional movie star has kind of died with the IP Franchise stuff taking over. Leo is one of the few exceptions.

As far as IV goes, would RDJ be that big of a draw outside of the MCU? Plus, IV got notoriously awful word of mouth. I don't see that being a hit in any scenario. It would have still been just as "confusing" and "meandering" to the general public with RDJ as Doc, but maybe it could have gotten some extra cash before word of mouth took over.

With The Revenant, you could practically smell Leo's B.O. numbers right off the screen.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Pringle

I don't think there is any other actor that could have done Doc as well as Phoenix. Having RDJ would have raised the profile a bit, but it would have been a lesser movie, in my opinion.

In the end, IV was just too weird and divisive and niche to go over in a big way. Which is 100% perfect for Pynchon and a Pynchon adaptation.

kingfan011

Quote from: Rooty Poots on August 28, 2019, 01:07:18 AM
Quote from: jviness02 on August 27, 2019, 11:37:03 PM

With The Revenant, you could practically smell Leo's B.O. numbers right off the screen.

Lol so true.

Alethia

Quote from: Pringle on August 29, 2019, 06:11:22 PM
I don't think there is any other actor that could have done Doc as well as Phoenix.

It's Joaquin's best performance.

Something Spanish

Quote from: eward on August 29, 2019, 07:29:15 PM
Quote from: Pringle on August 29, 2019, 06:11:22 PM
I don't think there is any other actor that could have done Doc as well as Phoenix.

It's Joaquin's best performance.

i'll second that, although freddy quell is just a hairlip behind

wilberfan

jviness02

If Leo does actually do PTA's next movie or one soon, I can almost guarantee solid B.O. for Paul.

Freddie Dodd

Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler were cast at the height of their stardom, did shit for PTA commercial performance. Let's wait and find out how a Leo led movie would break Anderson into wider audiences.

Robyn

hopefully he's still working on the Tiffany Haddish project, i'm more curious about a female lead PTA film.

Tdog

Quote from: Robyn on August 30, 2019, 08:40:01 AM
hopefully he's still working on the Tiffany Haddish project, i'm more curious about a female lead PTA film.
Who knows how many projects he's got going on behind the scenes. It's cool to know he has at least two in development anyway.
PTA was said to be talking to DeNiro at some point last year as well!!!!!!

Has the the guy who said that he "knew" the casting completely vanished from here?

kingfan011

Quote from: Freddie Dodd on August 30, 2019, 12:48:50 AM
Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler were cast at the height of their stardom, did shit for PTA commercial performance. Let's wait and find out how a Leo led movie would break Anderson into wider audiences.

true but I feel like no matter what film he is in Leo does command some box office numbers. It may not be amazing numbers but it might be something.

By the way where is the guy who started all of this regarding casting. He just dropped a bomb and walked away.

Tdog

Quote from: kingfan011 on August 30, 2019, 10:03:31 AM
Quote from: Freddie Dodd on August 30, 2019, 12:48:50 AM

true but I feel like no matter what film he is in Leo does command some box office numbers. It may not be amazing numbers but it might be something.

By the way where is the guy who started all of this regarding casting. He just dropped a bomb and walked away.

I checked there and he hasn't posted his May.