43. Dead Poets Society
44. Truly, Madly, Deeply
45. Sense and Sensibility
46. The Sixth Sense
47. Moulin Rouge
48. Cinema Paradiso
49. Parenthood
50. Rudy

...I'd say about half of these selections are just sentimental without being moving, and wouldn't elicit a single drop from me.

It's nice to see things like Brief Encounter and Umberto D. on there, though.

And I do always, always weep when Debra Winger makes her little deathbed speech to her kids in Terms of Endearment. Probably manipulative as hell, but it works on me, because it seems so real and right there.

However, any list of tearjerkers that doesn't include Magnolia- my most tearjerking movie of all time, I mean I start crying a little way in and don't stop, it's emotionally exhausting- is pretty worthless.

Also conspicuously absent: Nights of Cabiria and The Last Picture Show. Memorable tears shed on my part when viewing those.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

classical gas

#39 is the most deserving on the whole list.  that film gets me every time.

classical gas

sorry for the double post; but what about 'forrest gump' and 'leaving las vegas'.  you're right godardian, most of them are just sentimental.  and 'la strada' and 'nights of cabiria' should both be on there, as well as 'magnolia', there's more crying on that movie than any other.

ono

I was disappointed by Cinema Paradiso, Amelie didn't even make the list (which is a travesty), and West Side Story is an awful movie to start with.  Some of those other movies on the list are decent, but most of them are hardly tearjerkers.  I mean, I cried on an off throughout Amelie the first time I saw it.  They were tears of happiness; I had never seen anything like that film.  That shows one what a powerful movie is.  And none of these really come close.  And yeah, whe stuff like Magnolia doesn't make it and more manipulative mainstream fare does, you can pretty much tell where the list is coming from.

Ravi

To me the word "tearjerker" has the connotation of being a sappy, blatantly manipulative (even though all films are manipulative to some extent) films with little depth.  Calling E.T. a "tearjerker" is an insult IMO.

Derek237

Definatley agree with number 1. It's one out of only two movies that actually got me to jerk a tear outta my eye socket...

Rudie Obias

\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

cine

Grave of the Fireflies? Anyone? Where is this?

If this has The Sixth Sense and excludes even films like the Man in the Moon or even the Man ON the Moon.. I'm confused. When did more people cry over the SS over these films, or Forrest Gump, etc.

I think they should've revised their list.

aclockworkjj

i cried during shakespeare in love...god, I suck.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: aclockworkjji cried during shakespeare in love...god, I suck.

Didn't cry in movies and definately never would on Shakespeare, but I was very close to crying in Dancer in The Dark, though.
Si

Ernie

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI was disappointed by Cinema Paradiso

Oh, as was I, it didn't affect me at all and it definitely should have.

The Elephant Man, Edward Scissorhands, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape? are my big three, I think at least one of them should have made it.

Ravi

I've never cried during a movie.  I really want to.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pedro

cried during dancer in the dark.  no doubt about that.

godardian

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI was disappointed by Cinema Paradiso

Oh, as was I, it didn't affect me at all and it definitely should have.

The Elephant Man, Edward Scissorhands, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape? are my big three, I think at least one of them should have made it.

No Cinema Paradiso for me, either. I also think the inclusion of Life is Beautiful is pretty ridiculous.

Elephant Man is definitely a weeper for me, too.

I can't imagine never crying at a movie. I cry at them regularly.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.