Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

Heisenberg

With the speculation that there is a political angle to the film and it might be meant to release close to an election, maybe he preps something else instead and saves this one for another time(like 2026 or 2028).

Find Your Magali

There's also the not-small matter that the DGA negotiations might be kind of tense

wilberfan

PTA's New Film Will Be Impacted By Writer's Strike

I'm hearing some concerning things in regards to the timeline of Paul Thomas Anderson's upcoming untitled project. The writer's strike might have delayed the summer shoot planned for the film.

According to my source, for the time being, the strike has halted progress on the film, which originally had set-up a July production date. It'll all depend how long the strike goes on for.

There are no updates on whether the script had even been completed but, my source says, PTA is tentatively postponing production. Even with a completed screenplay, he tends to do rewrites during the shooting of his films and that is not at all possible given the current rules.

Strike rules state that as a member of the WGA, PTA would not be able to make any changes while on set. This same person tells me that PTA "is absolutely supportive of the strike and will do whatever he can to support it."

This could, in effect, shake up the actors involved in the film as well. Rumored so far have been Leonardo Dicaprio, Viggo Mortensen and Regina Hall. Obviously, I doubt any AI will be used here — thank the cinematic heavens for that.

We'll just have to wait and see now. There's nothing more to it. Plenty of other productions are in the same position. I wouldn't be surprised if Clint Eastwood's "Juror #2," set to shoot this summer, also gets delayed. Ditto Tarantino's "The Movie Critic" set for an early fall shoot.

These are very peculiar times right now in the industry. As writers strike, there's also an unknown change occurring, not just with the playing around with AI but also with studios second-guessing upcoming projects, especially non-IP ones.

What I do know is that signs are pointing to the strike not ending anytime soon.

Lempwick

Quote from: Heisenberg on May 05, 2023, 03:00:27 PMWith the speculation that there is a political angle to the film and it might be meant to release close to an election, maybe he preps something else instead and saves this one for another time(like 2026 or 2028).

But is he actually "allowed" to write anything during a WGA strike?  Tarantino's not a member of the guild, so unless the other guilds go on strike, he could still theoretically shoot his movie this fall unless the other guilds follow suit.   If PTA managed to get DiCaprio onboard for this Vineland-seeming thing, delaying it for months could be a disaster if DiCaprio was also circling QT's The Movie Critic and Scorsese's The Wager (if that's actually in development).   

PaulElroy35

Quote from: wilberfan on May 05, 2023, 08:55:17 PMPTA's New Film Will Be Impacted By Writer's Strike

I'm hearing some concerning things in regards to the timeline of Paul Thomas Anderson's upcoming untitled project. The writer's strike might have delayed the summer shoot planned for the film.

According to my source, for the time being, the strike has halted progress on the film, which originally had set-up a July production date. It'll all depend how long the strike goes on for.

There are no updates on whether the script had even been completed but, my source says, PTA is tentatively postponing production. Even with a completed screenplay, he tends to do rewrites during the shooting of his films and that is not at all possible given the current rules.

Strike rules state that as a member of the WGA, PTA would not be able to make any changes while on set. This same person tells me that PTA "is absolutely supportive of the strike and will do whatever he can to support it."

This could, in effect, shake up the actors involved in the film as well. Rumored so far have been Leonardo Dicaprio, Viggo Mortensen and Regina Hall. Obviously, I doubt any AI will be used here — thank the cinematic heavens for that.

We'll just have to wait and see now. There's nothing more to it. Plenty of other productions are in the same position. I wouldn't be surprised if Clint Eastwood's "Juror #2," set to shoot this summer, also gets delayed. Ditto Tarantino's "The Movie Critic" set for an early fall shoot.

These are very peculiar times right now in the industry. As writers strike, there's also an unknown change occurring, not just with the playing around with AI but also with studios second-guessing upcoming projects, especially non-IP ones.

What I do know is that signs are pointing to the strike not ending anytime soon.

From what i can tell worldofreels "source" seems to be people on reddit speculating in the PTA subreddit. While i believe the strike will impact the film i cant take that site serious one bit.

Heisenberg

Quote from: Lempwick on May 05, 2023, 09:05:54 PM
Quote from: Heisenberg on May 05, 2023, 03:00:27 PMWith the speculation that there is a political angle to the film and it might be meant to release close to an election, maybe he preps something else instead and saves this one for another time(like 2026 or 2028).

But is he actually "allowed" to write anything during a WGA strike?  Tarantino's not a member of the guild, so unless the other guilds go on strike, he could still theoretically shoot his movie this fall unless the other guilds follow suit.   If PTA managed to get DiCaprio onboard for this Vineland-seeming thing, delaying it for months could be a disaster if DiCaprio was also circling QT's The Movie Critic and Scorsese's The Wager (if that's actually in development).   

He's a WGA member, so he wouldn't be working on anything until the strike is over. I haven't heard about DiCaprio circling The Movie Critic and I think The Wager is at least a couple of years away from happening, if at all.

Find Your Magali

PTA is going to fully support the strike. So that's really the only operative factor at this point. Shooting schedule, cast, release date, etc., are all subject to re-examination after the strike is over. Possibly even the budget he gets. Stinks, but that's life.

Jeremy Blackman

It would be so funny if he declined to support the strike because streaming movies are not real films.

Find Your Magali

Viggo Mortensen now signed up for a David Mamet film that's scheduled to start shooting in early September. I think we're going to see folks start lining people up for autumn shoots, assuming that (1) the summer will be a wash, (2) those are the dates that can get locked in now if they want to shoot this year.

pynchonikon

If the Licorice Pizza situation is any indication, PTA will try to start filming as soon as he can.
This can still be a '24 release.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: pynchonikon on May 15, 2023, 11:06:55 AMIf the Licorice Pizza situation is any indication, PTA will try to start filming as soon as he can.

he wont be filming while the strike is going on though will he?

Heisenberg

Quote from: PaulElroy35 on May 15, 2023, 04:13:05 PM
Quote from: pynchonikon on May 15, 2023, 11:06:55 AMIf the Licorice Pizza situation is any indication, PTA will try to start filming as soon as he can.

he wont be filming while the strike is going on though will he?

No, but assuming the strike is over by the fall, it could start shooting by then and still make a fall or winter date next year. Or he could do a quick turnaround like with Phantom Thread and still make December '24 if it shoots early next year, unless it's a bigger production.

Find Your Magali

I agree that he could shoot this fall and release the fourth quarter of 2024.
The questions are whether his preferred cast is available this fall, and if he'd wait -- or recast -- if they are not.

pynchonikon

Sneider mentioned Taylour Paige (Zola).
Maybe for flashbacks as young Regina Hall? Why not.

Rooty Poots

I thought we all came to the agreement that Sneider's entirely untrustworthy on PTA leaks
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco