top 5 heist movies

Started by Pas, March 26, 2009, 01:18:15 PM

Pas

I love heist movies, mainly the old noir ones but I also like the flashier new ones and even the gimmicky ones like ''the Inside Man''.

Yesterday I rented Ocean's 12 and 13 because I had never seen them and finally they sucked very very much.

So top 5:

1: Rififi
2: The Asphalt Jungle
3: The Killing
4: Heat
5: Nuevas Reinas (Nine Queens)

Top 1 of those I need to see asap : The Getaway (Peckinpah+Walter Hill)

samsong

i haven't seen Nine Queens but i'm guessing any one of the following are more worthy of a spot on a top 5 than it...

Bob le flambeur (my personal favorite)
Dog Day Afternoon
Bottle Rocket
Le Cercle rouge

Three Kings is sweet.

guilty pleasures: Point Break, Hudson Hawk

polkablues

Are we making a distinction between heist movies and con movies (seeing Nine Queens on Pas' list)? 
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Quote from: samsong on March 26, 2009, 04:13:53 PM
i haven't seen Nine Queens but i'm guessing any one of the following are more worthy of a spot on a top 5 than it...

Bob le flambeur (my personal favorite)
Dog Day Afternoon
Bottle Rocket
Le Cercle rouge

Three Kings is sweet.

guilty pleasures: Point Break, Hudson Hawk

Bob le Flambeur et Le Cercle Rouge I haven't seen but they're on my queue since forever. As for Nine Queens it's a personal favorite as I saw it in special circumstances etc. I still find it better than Dog Day though, which is original and has good performances but doesn't have the classic heist movie touches I love (planning, different characters each having a role, double crosses etc.)

But polka is right in that Nine Queens' not a heist movie per se so yeah it shouldn't be there.

JG

le cercle rouge is a good suggestion, its one of my favorites. lots of meville. his last five movies are all excellent, and all, except for army of shadows, are pretty close to heist movies.  slick and sexy, the best of its kind.

NEON MERCURY

SiliasRuby

Yes, sneakers......yes!!!!
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pas

haven't seen Sneakers, I'll check it out looks cool. Lots of has-beens in it though.

Also I thought about the Bank Job too, that was a really good one and fuck what a poster. Too bad it has the shittiest DVD cover though.

SiliasRuby

My Collection

Pas

Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 27, 2009, 08:19:27 AM
Has beens? Blasphemy!

yeah a bit isn't it ? I don't know why but Robert Redford really seems like a has been to me, is he one ?

MacGuffin

1. Heat
2. The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
3. Out of Sight
4. Die Hard
5. Reservoir Dogs
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I didn't think the bank job was very good, but, like sports film, it seems like if a heist script was properly written than it never could be too awful - even with ones like the italian job or the first mission impossible.
I think out of sight is my favorite one though - it kinda bypasses all the staples and focuses instead on the characters.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Pas Rap on March 27, 2009, 09:44:49 AM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 27, 2009, 08:19:27 AM
Has beens? Blasphemy!

yeah a bit isn't it ? I don't know why but Robert Redford really seems like a has been to me, is he one ?
No, not really. His goodlooking days are behind him but he isn't a has been.

My Collection

NEON MERCURY

aaaaaaaaaahhhhh, out of sight..thats a good one

Pas

As said earlier it's not a heist movie but a con movie, but fuck Nueve reinas is good. Fuck the Mamet con flicks, they are predictable as shit and are basically good for a 90 minutes cliché.

Not only this one keeps you on your toes, but it knows you've seen other con movies and it knows you know what to expect. And then it throws a curveball at you. The old rich guy is not a damn fool, the main character isn't completely god damn ignorant to the fact that he's dealing with a con man and even more important, the twists aren't just there for twist's sake, the main problem with Mamet's cons.