Shot on fucking film

Started by wilder, July 16, 2015, 04:03:53 AM

wilder

This thread is called shot on fucking film and it's for trailers of upcoming movies shot on fucking film

So far this year

Upcoming

jenkins

btw I've "adult grown" my perspective on film. as to say my personal opinion still doesn't actually give a lot of fucks about film. i give two, maybe three fucks about film. but it's dumb kid shit not to love a thing in your life that you may one day lose forever. so my current plan is to appreciate film and treasure it while it's around, since i'd rather it be here and me think it's a little silly, than for it not be here at all and for me to miss it. btw.

cronopio 2

i support this thread.

far from the madding crowd is one of the best looking films i've seen all year. so so lush.

bald mass looks cool, i had forgotten johnny depp.

will see bridge of spies on opening day, regardless of the stupid title.

i don't know what to make of Joy.  david o russell to me is always the director that arrives late to cool things. he's good but irrelevant.

and don't forget The Hateful 8, which was shot in 70mm and is the film i'm most excited about.

Reel

Quote from: jenkins<3 on July 16, 2015, 12:05:46 PM
btw I've "adult grown" my perspective on film. as to say my personal opinion still doesn't actually give a lot of fucks about film. i give two, maybe three fucks about film. but it's dumb kid shit not to love a thing in your life that you may one day lose forever. so my current plan is to appreciate film and treasure it while it's around, since i'd rather it be here and me think it's a little silly, than for it not be here at all and for me to miss it. btw.

If I'm going to watch a movie, I'd almost 100% prefer it was shot on film. There seems to be so much more nuance to the image. The shadows are bolder, warm colors seem to pop off the screen, and people just look more realistic. These are all very basic examples, we could and have gone on forever about the pros and cons of each. In terms of making a movie, I could never use film. Of course I'd want to, but I don't trust it as a reliable medium when there are so many things to worry about going wrong on set. So, I like watching movies shot on Video to gage where the technology is headed. It's  progressing quite nicely, but when I watched 'Gone Girl' I had so many issues with how it looked like a soap opera at times. Fincher is supposed to be the guy pioneering video in filmmaking, but he doesn't seem to care about the craft as much being at the forefront of this technology. As much as I'm delighted in all the possibilities these new cameras will bring us, I think the capacity for them to capture pristine images so easily is making directors lazy.

jenkins

Quote from: Reelist on July 17, 2015, 09:55:38 AM
Quote from: jenkins<3 on July 16, 2015, 12:05:46 PM

If I'm going to watch a movie, I'd almost 100% prefer it was shot on film. There seems to be so much more nuance to the image. The shadows are bolder, warm colors seem to pop off the screen, and people just look more realistic. These are all very basic examples, we could and have gone on forever about the pros and cons of each. In terms of making a movie, I could never use film. Of course I'd want to, but I don't trust it as a reliable medium when there are so many things to worry about going wrong on set. So, I like watching movies shot on Video to gage where the technology is headed. It's  progressing quite nicely, but when I watched 'Gone Girl' I had so many issues with how it looked like a soap opera at times. Fincher is supposed to be the guy pioneering video in filmmaking, but he doesn't seem to care about the craft as much being at the forefront of this technology. As much as I'm delighted in all the possibilities these new cameras will bring us, I think the capacity for them to capture pristine images so easily is making directors lazy.

Based on circumstances it's likely that film will disappear more for reasons related to projectors and digital cameras/lack of film existing, solid reasons, but reasons unrelated to people's passion for film. In fact, passion for film is currently an artistically hot topic. Artists who like film (people these days are definitely artists after they say they like film, which is adorable) need to adult grow their perspectives as well. Film lovers need to adult grow their perspectives on digital, and consider for a moment that everything wonderful and nutrient and essential for cinema comes from moving images and noise, which don't exist through celluloid alone.

Right now there being obstacles toward improving the quality and condition of digital photography, if digital photography lacks some of the finer features of film, if it's behind film, than ok, than that's the fight, than that's the hard fight and I respect the person who takes that fight on.

Recently I've wanted to go see Tangerine, which was shot on an iPhone 5S, and it's playing at theaters in LA where the big movies play. I don't think this movie'll make it seem like an iPhone 5S looks better than film. But again, the true pulse of cinema differs from its format, and I like the spirit of Tangerine.

Ravi

Quote from: Reelist on July 17, 2015, 09:55:38 AM
Of course I'd want to, but I don't trust it as a reliable medium when there are so many things to worry about going wrong on set. So, I like watching movies shot on Video to gage where the technology is headed.

I've only worked on one project shot on film, as a 2nd AC. It was definitely a more disciplined production than many of the digital productions I've worked on. No endless takes and retakes, because we only had a certain amount of short ends.

So many movies and TV shows have been shot on film, often in the harshest conditions. If you get experienced ACs and a loader, it works out fine. Of course, if you have to send your film off to be developed, as opposed to dropping it off at the lab yourself, that can be scary.

Reel

I should've said I don't trust myself working with it, nor do I ever expect to have the kind of budget where using it would be feasible.

wilder

wilder

wilder

wilder