Alicia Widar

Started by Jeremy Blackman, October 03, 2020, 07:09:00 PM

Jeremy Blackman

This was uploaded early last month but has unexpectedly become my favorite cover of hers.

Helps to listen to the original. I would have no idea how to make an acoustic cover of this song. Her solution was to come up with her own clarified/simplified version of the melody which brings her exactly into the sweet spots of her vocal range. The melody in the original actually gets pretty loosey goosey and limp, especially in the back half. I prefer Alicia's version. Just.... awesome choices.

This is reminiscent of one of her old covers. The original Arctic Monkeys track essentially gives her talk-singing to work with, so she has to come up with her own melody. The bit starting at 1:30 ("to get to your eyes") is especially inspired and completely new.

WorldForgot

That Deftones cover iz my fav of hers currently!
Followed close by with say it ain't so ~

Jeremy Blackman

Nice! Discerning minds think alike.

WorldForgot

i'm right there with ya, friend
i'm so ugly, that's okay cuz so are you, we broke our mirrors

WorldForgot

WorldForgot

Jeremy Blackman

This one's a lot like Jeremy and Lithium where she's constantly pushing the lower limits of her vocal range. And something about that works so well. It's a choice completely devoid of vanity. She's just trying to explore the vibes. Which speaks volumes for her potential as an artist.

She sings "too low" in the vast majority of her covers, actually. Songs like There Is A Light, Live Forever, and White Mustang are more in her natural vocal range. You almost get a sense those are too easy for her.

Jeremy Blackman

This girl has god-level timbre.

The funny thing is how effortless this cover ends up looking, despite her description:

Quotehii guys! finally a soundgarden song. i find them super difficult to sing and play, but i tried my best. i really like soundgarden and this is one of my favorite songs from the band. hope u like it ;)

WorldForgot

For real digging her cover of Jeremy by Pearl Jam more than the original lately, hah.

Jeremy Blackman

For sure. She emulates Eddie Vedder's style, but it's actually so much more. Her vocal flow is especially stunning in that video. And she does it by reworking the melody a bit to her liking – one of her greatest strengths.

WorldForgot

We've got a new top 5 contender, folks ^_^

Jeremy Blackman

For sure. I love Alicia's vocal choices and tone in the first minute especially. Perfect for the song.

Jeremy Blackman

WorldForgot

Just got back from being out of town with very little signal

<3 this upload started a trail toward a new phase for Alicia's music. Check out the pinned comments to see what I mean. Really dope cosmic influence. And although I know it was really the confluence of fans' efforts + Alicia's craft, to me, that iz the stars aligning.

When You Sleep iz so great - Alicia's voice iz really developing in the lower range. Stuck on You + When You Sleep feature multitracking for guitars 1 + 2, I forget, JB, are there more where Alicia multitracks?

And of course the highlight of the MBV upload:

Quotehi guys!! i'm going to be releasing an original song very soon and i'm super excited about it!!! usually i'm not very confident about the songs that i write, but i really love the song. can't wait for you to hear it :)
:yabbse-grin:

Jeremy Blackman

Agreed! This really feels like an inflection point for Alicia's career. And an exciting time to be a fan.

These last two are the first time she's added a second track. She just started editing the audio separately in GarageBand.

I just want to reiterate how freaking beautiful the When You Sleep cover is. Can't get over it. And it's gotten a rapturous response from the MBV/shoegaze crowd.

I can't wait for the original. No idea what to expect in terms of mood/genre, since her interests are so varied. Might drop this Sunday, fingers crossed.