Assorted movie news

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 08, 2016, 03:51:00 PM

jenkins

i'd heard Nic Cage say "it's so cray" but i about fell out of my chair when i learned he was referring to working with Sion Sono. this news was announced back in may

Nicolas Cage To Star In Sion Sono's English-Language Debut 'Prisoners Of The Ghostland' – Cannes

Nicolas Cage Calls 'Prisoners of the Ghostland' 'The Wildest Movie I've Ever Made'

um this is a big deal in terms of overseas directors landing in hwood

Quote"Prisoners of the Ghostland" has yet to begin filming.

Robyn

that's fucking great, hahah.

polkablues

This could be amazing. I finally saw Tag not too long ago and was blown away by it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Something Spanish

polkablues

I have to assume that one's just a really loose remake.

wilder

...it's happening.

James Dean Reborn in CGI for Vietnam War Action-Drama
via The Hollywood Reporter

The cultural icon, who died in 1955, will return to the screen via CGI using actual footage and photos for 'Finding Jack.'

James Dean, who died in a 1955 car crash at the age of 24, is making an unexpected return to the big screen.

The cultural icon, known for Rebel Without a Cause and East of Eden, has been posthumously cast in the Vietnam era action-drama Finding Jack.

Directed by Anton Ernst and Tati Golykh, the project comes from the filmmakers' own recently launched production house Magic City Films, which obtained the rights to use Dean's image from his family. Canadian VFX banner Imagine Engine will be working alongside South African VFX company MOI Worldwide to re-create what the filmmakers describe as "a realistic version of James Dean."

Adapted by Maria Sova from Gareth Crocker's novel, Finding Jack is based on the existence and abandonment of more than 10,000 military dogs at the end of the Vietnam War. Dean will play a character called Rogan, considered a secondary lead role.

"We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role of Rogan, which has some extreme complex character arcs, and after months of research, we decided on James Dean," said Ernst, who also produces with Golykh for Magic City Films alongside Donald A. Barton of Artistry Media Group.

"We feel very honored that his family supports us and will take every precaution to ensure that his legacy as one of the most epic film stars to date is kept firmly intact. The family views this as his fourth movie, a movie he never got to make. We do not intend to let his fans down."

While Finding Jack will be live action, The Hollywood Reporter understands that Dean's performance will be constructed via "full body" CGI using actual footage and photos. Another actor will voice him.

Multiple Oscar nominated songwriter Diane Warren wrote the key song for the film and acclaimed composer Laurent Eyquem is on board to score the film.

Preproduction on Finding Jack starts Nov. 17, with a goal for a worldwide release on Veterans Day 2020. Magic City Films is handling the foreign sales.

The filmmakers are now hoping that the CGI technology used to bring Dean back to life onscreen could soon be deployed on other well-known figures.

"This opens up a whole new opportunity for many of our clients who are no longer with us," said Mark Roesler, CEO of CMG Worldwide, which represents Dean's family alongside more than 1,700 entertainment, sports, music and historical personalities, including the likes of Burt Reynolds, Christopher Reeve, Ingrid Bergman, Neil Armstrong, Bette Davis and Jack Lemmon.

Added Ernst: "Our partners in South Africa are very excited about this, as this technology would also be employed down the line to re-create historical icons such as Nelson Mandela to tell stories of cultural heritage significance."

Barton added: "Now that we have closed with this iconic figure, we look forward to rapidly closing our remaining actors."

Alethia

wilberfan

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

Quote"We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role of Rogan, which has some extreme complex character arcs, and after months of research, we decided on James Dean," said Ernst, who also produces with Golykh for Magic City Films alongside Donald A. Barton of Artistry Media Group.

i mean, james dean died before the vietnam war began. so he wasn't cast here for period but for type. and in a certain way it does reflect a possible james dean who hadn't died. so that's all interesting enough

i don't know if it bothers me more than The Polar Express and future robots etc, about the same

polkablues

I genuinely don't believe this will actually happen, and that this announcement is solely a publicity stunt.

Also, what "family" of James Dean did they get the blessing of? He had no children, was an only child, and died 64 years ago. Who is out there representing James Dean at this point, like a second cousin's grandchild?

wilder

If that's the case I fell for it like dominoes. Seems like an inevitability, still. We'll be looking back at The Irishman or whatever that Marvel movie was that did it first as a roadmarker like The Abyss. Oh yeah, Benjamin Button...

Surprised at jenk's response. How can this be anything but turning something human into something less than that? It's against your M.O. That which we cannot control is most revealing about ourselves...our subconscious mannerisms, our involuntary facial expressions...

The eventuality will either be completely calculated by CGI artists, or mo-capped by someone without the same essence as the person being 'revived'. It's everything I want the opposite of when I go see a film. Emotional plastic surgery. Fuck that.

polkablues

I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. This feels like two randos with no track record and no clout to speak of making a wild claim with the intent of scoring some easy press coverage, which they can then try and use as leverage to actually get the project off the ground. There is zero chance they already have the funding for this movie secured, and probably less than 5% chance their little gambit will allow them to get it. If this actually comes to pass, I'll be genuinely shocked.

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on November 06, 2019, 07:30:30 PM
Seems like an inevitability, still. We'll be looking back at The Irishman or whatever that Marvel movie was that did it first as a roadmarker like The Abyss. Oh yeah, Benjamin Button...

Surprised at jenk's response. How can this be anything but turning something human into something less than that? It's against your M.O. That which we cannot control is most revealing about ourselves...our subconscious mannerisms, our involuntary facial expressions...

The eventuality will either be completely calculated by CGI artists, or mo-capped by someone without the same essence as the person being 'revived'. It's everything I want the opposite of when I go see a film. Emotional plastic surgery. Fuck that.

yeah no yeah. totally. i'm not sure if i dislike it so much as i think it all feels awful. so also though i have a familiarity with this concept within film development and consider it as you say an inevitable eventuality and thus a natural component within the literally infinite possibilities of endlessly expanding human existence imitated by evolutionary art. is not all of art an imitation of life, all of it. i want some people to heavy metal in the spiritual capacities of computer-integrated movie development and they're trying their best

if James Dean is a ploy it's also an introduction into accepting this possibility and it's a dumb plan in general but the concept could have been way worse imo

Sleepless

Quote from: polkablues on November 06, 2019, 09:08:57 PM
There is zero chance they already have the funding for this movie secured, and probably less than 5% chance their little gambit will allow them to get it. If this actually comes to pass, I'll be genuinely shocked.

My second thought was "won't it actually cost more to have a CG James Dean than casting literally any willing actor?"
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.