Anima

Started by Drenk, June 20, 2019, 09:19:50 AM

Lewton

Quote from: Pringle on November 08, 2019, 02:32:00 PM
Since we're on the topic of PTA videos and visual effects — does anyone know what process was used on the 'Divers' video?

There's a bit of info in this Rolling Stone article: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/joanna-newsom-on-andy-samberg-stalkers-and-latest-harp-fueled-opus-51062/

Quote from: Several months ago, the director agreed to shoot a music video for Newsom while they were both in New York. They envisioned a clip for Divers' title track that would incorporate the artwork of photographer Kim Keever, whose pictures adorn the album's cover and liner notes. Keever's technique is to construct miniature clay landscapes within aquariums, light them, then drop dye into the water; the resulting images have a striking, sci-fi–J.M.W. Turner quality. For the video, Anderson shot Newsom through an aquarium while Keever did his thing.

trytotell

Nominated for a Grammy for "Best Music Film".

Fuzzy Dunlop

Beyonce will win, but it'd be wild as fuck to see PTA and Thom on a Grammy stage together, snickering about the whole thing

kingfan011

Seriously its too bad Beyonce is nominated because there is no way she's losing.

jviness02

Do you think Netflix is pushing this for the Best Short Oscar? I'm pretty sure it's technically eligible.

trytotell

Quote from: jviness02 on November 21, 2019, 11:12:11 AM
Do you think Netflix is pushing this for the Best Short Oscar? I'm pretty sure it's technically eligible.

Isn't that category really for up-and-coming filmmakers? Has anybody really established then got nominated/won? If they did push it, I could see some backlash.

wilberfan

I don't think that category was ever intended for one kind of filmmaker vs another (new vs established). Back in the day, when my father was an Academy member, there were nominating committees that would screen the eligible films and then pick their favorites.   I don't know historically if they ever rejected a qualifying short by an 'established' filmmaker--just because they were established.  I'm sure well-known directors just rarely produce short films.   

Typing that last sentence just now made me realize PTA may be the only "mainstream" director consistently doing this today?  Can we think of any others?

Pringle

Yorgos Lanthimos also released a short this year starring Matt Dillon.

Alethia

In addition to Yorgos, Harmony Korine has a fair amount by now, Lars' next project is apparently a series of ten shorts...mmm...Glazer and Spike Jonze *used* to be more prolific in this area...that's top of my head.

WorldForgot

Gaspar Noe premiered a short film at Cannes this year -- LUX AETERNA

Fuzzy Dunlop

Brilliant as it is, I don't think it should be eligible and I doubt they are pushing it. It's a cinematic accompaniment to an album, not as simple as a music video but not far off. Presumably paid for by the record label with the ultimate goal of promoting the record. It'd be like nominating John Landis for  Thriller.

It's hard enough for short filmmakers to break through without having to compete with A-level directors armed with record label budgets.

Alma

I wonder if he'll be at the Grammys this weekend.

jenkins

just wait to find out when the Grammys are this weekend