The Hangover featuring Stefen's Supposed Encounter with Megan Fox

Started by modage, March 30, 2009, 07:36:30 AM

john

Quote from: modage on June 07, 2009, 10:28:28 AM
this was funny but i didn't love it.  i am a bit sad that galifianakis is now known by frat dudes everywhere.

Eh, frat dudes were on that shit way back in '02. Half his crowd has been consistently terrible. They're just probably gonna increase exponentially.

At least liking him for this is better than liking him for Out Cold.

Galifianakis does rule, though... now and always.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

hedwig

one of my good buddies is in a frat. a couple years ago i introduced him to galifianakis. :shock:

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

how did you gain access to galifianakis?

hedwig

pete

it was okay.  I have a problem laughing at ludicrous situations in movies 'cause I can't get over the fact that they're just as plausible as everything else in the film.  situations like that need to have more twists to make me laugh (a la curb your enthusiasm, where a conflict escalates or something).  it's a personal thing though, so I'm recommending it to people who don't mind things like that.  I also think it's a bit anti-climatic and there are really no set-pieces or big gags.

the funniest parts to me are just the lines and gestures coming from the actors, but most of the film's punchlines come from the outrageous situations.  that's the difference between these movies and the judd apatow comedies - apatow trusts the actors and dialogue to get the big laughs, instead of outrageous scenerios. 

for example (MINOR SPOILER)

I enjoyed the little exchanges tossed by the cops more than the cops tasing them.

I think the problem is that the script confuses premises with punchlines.  Which I guess is ok 'cause I didn't hate it and most of the theater was in stitches.  It's no superbad though.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

theyarelegion

Quote from: modage on June 07, 2009, 10:28:28 AM
this was funny but i didn't love it.

spot on. i hear a sequel in underway already?

RegularKarate

I agree with Pete a whole lot except I think I probably liked the movie a little more than he did.

The absolute best thing about this is that it will catapult Zach into a much larger status.  He's poised to be the next Will Farrel (which he probably won't end up doing because I think he might be scared of that happening... he's got an edge he won't want to lose)... but even if he doesn't get that big, he's going to be in more movies, which makes me super happy.

Next up; Between Two Ferns: The Movie!

diggler

minor spoils

pete nailed it on the head about the situations not being as funny as the character interactions.  most of the "wild twists" didn't get the laughs that the small lines did (with the exception of the trunk gag, which killed).  this is going to be this summer's "wedding crashers", with every ass hole you know proclaiming it as the funniest movie ever made.  i'm already getting sick of the chatter and it hasn't even been out for a week yet. it's too bad because unlike crashers i actually laughed at this, and found the characters very likeable.

A girl in our audience booed when heather graham popped her boob out, i don't know why but that made me laugh really hard.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Ravi

The Heather Graham character was lame.  It would have been funnier if she was a horrible person instead of beautiful and sweet.  He shouldn't have had to find someone he liked in order to break away from his bitchy girlfriend.  I usually hate it when characters in movies find a replacement partner if their current partner isn't right for them.

I'm not sure why I liked this film as much as I did.  There was something unassuming about the characters that you don't get in, say, a Will Ferrell movie.

john

The Wedding Crashers comparison is pretty apt.... I had the same reaction to this as I did to that film. It's pleasant, easy to watch, largely inconsequential, but a bit funnier than most broad comedies released. Hopefully, unlike Wedding Crashers, I'll be able to remember a single joke from the film after a year.

(Minor spoilers)

Like most people here, Galifianakis really elevated the enjoyment I got out of this film. In retrospect, the funniest things I remember were said or done by him... ("Not at the table, Carlos.", the Rain Man homage, his song, his wolf pack speech, virtually every reaction shot he gave)... his humor seemed entirely believable to the character he played... unlike Helms who occasionally seemed funnier than his character should have been (his song at the piano being distractingly clever.)

I'm glad that it wasn't overloaded with cameos, and I did have a pretty good time with the film. Todd Philips can deliver a pretty enjoyable lowbrow comedy (sometimes). I think this is the most accomplished effort he's done, if still not as enjoyable as Old School.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

Well, shit, now I don't even know if I want to see this ever. You guys better not be hating this just because it made money. It looked really promising. It didn't look like just some safe romantic comedy disguised as a all-out comedy with an edge ala Wedding Crashers.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

dude, see it. it's good.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Megan Fox is a stupid bitch on June 08, 2009, 11:16:46 PM
Well, shit, now I don't even know if I want to see this ever. You guys better not be hating this just because it made money. It looked really promising. It didn't look like just some safe romantic comedy disguised as a all-out comedy with an edge ala Wedding Crashers.

Hey, did you get rejected by Megan Fox in your dreams again?

Stefen

Let's just say I met her at a club and it didn't go very well.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.