Alien Vs. Predator

Started by MacGuffin, June 16, 2003, 04:09:39 PM

That's why Cinema won't ever be properly considered an art.
context, context, context.

Ghostboy

I'm all for escapsim, that's one of the things I love about movies...but do we have to consider it icing on the cake when there's a sense of respect for the audience? Wouldn't it be great if that was more of a standard practice? Like with Spiderman 2, which was as thrilling as could be and also went the extra mile to be emotionally and intelectually involving (at least to some).

I like to be entertained, but I don't like brain-dead entertainment. With Alien Vs. Predator and films of that ilk, all signs point in that direction. I personally won't be going to see it, and the fact that it's PG-13 means that there's more concern for the bottom line than for the fans of the series. This wasn't a problem with Freddy Vs. Jason, which gave fans pretty much everything they wanted to see.

So anyway, thank you, Taz, for clueing me into the whole plot, so that now I know for sure that I'm not missing anything.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cronopioThat's why Cinema won't ever be properly considered an art.

By whom? By everyone? Those that take film seriously already know it's 'art', and it's already been established as such. There's a reason why they have art house theaters, and 'Summer' movies come out when they do, and Academy films come out when they do.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Quote from: MacGuffin

By whom? By everyone? Those that take film seriously already know it's 'art', and it's already been established as such. There's a reason why they have art house theaters, and 'Summer' movies come out when they do, and Academy films come out when they do.

You're completely right, but that wasn't what i was talking about. Even summer movies have an inmense potential to be something escapist and creative/rewarding at the same time, but right very now,  it is as if people at the industry is struggling to  find out the perfect balance (be it actors,  timing,  hollywoodian common subtexts)  for 'x' blockbuster and make everyone happy. We're getting lazier.

pete

you can't call the entire "cinema" art, just like any other medium, some of them is art and some is kitsch, and some is crap.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Quote from: pete

you can't call the entire "cinema" art, just like any other medium, some of them is art and some is kitsch, and some is crap.

Yes, but with films, those contrasts are  ridiculous.  There's Waterworld and there's El Mariachi.

bonanzataz

Quote from: RaviUnfortunately too many people regard the movies as nothing more than a way to kill 2 hours.

which was how i felt about avp.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gold Trumpet

I've seen both Predator movies but I've never seen any of the Alien ones. Didn't care to see this but snuck in with a friend tonight and for as dumb as I expected this to be, it was fucking entertaining. The fight scenes were decent but the Beauty and the Beast love story that almost developed scared me enough to make me not look at the screen. It ended up being the only scary thing the movie had going for it. Also, it all ended pretty abrupty in my mind. Not really the big war I was expecting.

pete

Quote from: cronopio
Quote from: pete

Yes, but with films, those contrasts are  ridiculous.  There's Waterworld and there's El Mariachi.

how is el mariachi art?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleuth

is it true that whoever wins we lose?
I like to hug dogs

Ravi

I can't wait to see this...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Sleuthis it true that whoever wins we lose?

yes..its true ..b/c whoever wins we lose out on a chance for a sequel since the other guy will be dead... :yabbse-cry:

El Duderino

i'm sure they'll find some way to do Aliens vs. Predators
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Alethia

i was really stoned when i saw this and i still thought it was boring

Myxo

Here was my response to him:

I agree with you on the entertainment part. Some movies are totally popcorn driven fun. I agree completely. It comes down to this really..

It takes 20 minutes to drive to and from the theater.
The movie lasts for 2-3 hours, depending on the film.
I'm out $9.00 if it sucks.

Right now I work 46 hours/week and go to classes 12 hours/week. So, it's not just a matter of "whats good enough to grace my eyes". I recognize that I am a film snob. But, on the same note, I gotta be a little snobbish if I wanna get a chance to see the films I really wanna see. Because I'm so busy, I need a filter for what looks like crap, and what doesn't. I don't make spur of the moment decisions to go see movies like AvP because I know they aren't for me. That's not to say that somebody else wouldn't like them, but I wouldn't.

Anyway.. One last thought before I end my silly rant.. :P

I think there is an audience of people in movie-going-America that rule the box office. I believe there are certain films which are just fantastic that never get any play from the general public because people have gotten too lazy. I also feel like nobody wants to see a good story anymore. There is a "target audience" in America that film studios pander to. Movies like AvP are a great example of this.

That whole thing probably cost them 50-60 million to make. The studio behind that movie knows full well that they will make that back and turn a profit. There is no risk in making it. Because there is no risk in making it, unfortunately the people behind the film itself get lazy with the story because, hey, who cares right? They'll make money off the film and thats all that matters. It doesn't actually need a well crafted story to sell. Just, make the Aliens and Predators blow stuff up and chase the humans around for 2 hours and people will leave with a smile.

Is there any reason why AvP couldn't have been farging brilliant? I haven't seen the film, but from what you said, it sounds like an average or below average story with great effects. Why couldn't it have been a GREAT story and film like Predator and the Alien franchise were? There's no reason why a studio needs to let hack directors and writers churn out something average when it could be so much better.

Hell, get James Cameron/David Fincher/Ridley Scott to make AvP. At least those three guys actually made Alien movies.

Something else..

You can write something brilliant, but if the studio doesn't see an audience for it, they won't green light it. Part of the reason there is no audience for great storys has to do with the saturation of films like AvP. People have short attention spans, as I said earlier.

Studios approach movies like baking cookies.

Anyway. That's my opinion. It's not even close to being the word or anything like that. I just wanted to say that..

:D

Edit:

I went and saw Freddy vs. Jason in the theater a few months back. So, I still go to movies I just know will suck. I'm pretty picky though..

If that makes me a snob, oh well. I'm not the one coming out of the theater going,

"Man did that suck. I want my 2 hours and $9.00 back. The trailer looked cool though!"

:P