Have you ever met a famous person/samsong?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, April 12, 2003, 01:31:47 PM

RegularKarate

Austin Film Festival is going on and at lunch, I just ran into Sydney Pollack.

samsong

jamie kennedy was at the museum of the moving image for Celine and Julie Go Boating.

Pubrick

so we'll count that as him meeting you. cos he doesn't qualify for the other category.
under the paving stones.

The Perineum Falcon

Met John Szarkowski today. He is famous, but I'm not sure how famous outside of the Photo World. But, he was the curator of Photography at the MoMA for nearly 30 years ('62 - '91) and is credited with making photography what it is today. Meaning, as an accepted form of Art in its own right, not as something similar to painting. He also helped to get Eggleston, Arbus, Winogrand (I think), etc some public recognition.
Very nice man, very generous with his knowledge and advice in the student critique, and very personable and humorous.
Basically made me re-think certain conclusions I had reached in photography. Which is all that I could've hoped for.
Each student was only allotted 3 photos to show, I picked two that are in my photo thread here, and another more recent portrait of my friend, Josh. I may eventually put that in the thread, along with others.
He thought my girlfriend was beautiful, and felt that she was a sort of, a generic version of the starlets of Classical Hollywood and recalled the old Production Photos theaters would put up to advertise the stars of the films. It's good, because that's what I was going for, but it was more conceptual and it's really not something he's interested in.
He didn't say anything too negative about them, but left me feeling that I should go in another direction. Which is great.

Anyway, so I met John Szarkowski, it was wonderful, he'll give a lecture tomorrow on Ansel Adams' work at the museum, so I'll see him again. And I didn't mean to go so far on the tangent.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

sheshothim

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Quote from: sheshothim on November 18, 2006, 04:04:27 PM
my mom saw bb king's hand.
beat THAT.

My uncle rode on a plane next to BB King, who gave him a guitar pick with his picture on it.  BB's picture, not my uncle's.  That would have been weird.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Bethie

Quote from: Lucid on December 13, 2006, 02:19:14 AM
I'll keep this short and vague:  tonight I met Gael Garcia Bernal.  We shook hands and spoke for about ten seconds.  It was wonderful.

what a sweet face he is
who likes movies anyway

samsong

picolas

samsong

sitting in the lobby of the pacific theaters at the grove in LA.  i went there to see Children of Men.  he was there for the same reason.

pete

Quotehe was there for the same reasonsong.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reinhold

i met paul schrader a couple weeks ago when he came to speak here.

he didn't actually have much of anything useful to say. he approaches writing screenplays more or less like he's writing books. he did sign my copy of transcendental style in film though.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza